• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Bliss vs Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have offered to help my uncle use his timeshare of 10 years for the 1st time and he is looking to go to Nuevo Vallarta for Easter Break 2015. It is a Monarch Grand Vacations that trades in II via points.

I am going to request for 2BR Grand Luxxe but as a backup, looking at Grand Bliss and Grand Mayan as well.

For a family of 5 of 3 adults, 1 teen and and 8 year old, which one (Bliss or GMayan) is better?

Any other suggestions for the area that is not AI mandatory?

Asl18940

Reaction score
You can't really go wrong with either the GB or the GM. The GB is a bit more upscale, but with your teen and 8 year old, the premium may be on being as close to the GM activities as you can get. There's nothing for them to do at the GL, so my strong recommendation is that you move over to the GB or GM. The GL, which is where I own, is beautiful, but there are no activities for your teens or child. You will therefore spend a great deal of time on shuttles from the GL to the GM. The shuttles are extremely clean and come frequently, but by the second or third day, you'll grow weary of them.

Asl18940

Reaction score
One further thing. We were just there for Easter week. We loved it, but be advised with respect to your teens that the resort is heavily populated at that time by Mexican nationals. They are wonderful families. But their teens do drink beer at 16, so you'll want to have a discussion first.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Asl18940 ! Will let my uncle know so my niece can have a talking!

If they stay at the Bliss, do they need a shuttle to go to lazy river or pools or is it walking distance?

Do you have or know where I can see a reort map of the complex?

Last edited:

rpennisi

Reaction score
Thanks Asl18940 ! Will let my uncle know so my niece can have a talking!

If they stay at the Bliss, do they need a shuttle to go to lazy river or pools or is it walking distance?

Do you have or know where I can see a reort map of the complex?

I would choose the Grand Bliss over the Grand Mayan.

It is a very short walk to the GM and their pools, and you can use the GB pools in addition to the GM pools, and in the other direction the MP pools as well. The GB and GM are right next to each other. And on the other side is the MP which has all the shops for clothes and food. The adults will prefer the GB pools most of the time.

The Grand Bliss has nicer units, better patios and most important, free wifi.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I second the Grand Bliss because of the free Wifi and larger patio. I love the Grand Mayan, but hate paying $85 a week for Wifi for one computer.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All!

I'm going to put in Grand Luxxe and Grand Bliss.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I've gotten 3 RCI matches using my points for Grand Mayan Nuevo Easter week (2 BR) but NONE whatsoever using my uncle's II account through Diamond Resorts.

Are there no Mayan deposits in II or is his Diamond Membership trading through II horrible?:ponder:

He is trying to use his own timeshare rather than mine but he also doesn't want to be left with no place to vacation...

Do you think II will come through? Note: he is on II points so it isn't tied to a deposited week.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Mayan probably deposits 2-3 times the inventory in rci than II. Rci also has the 1 in 3 rule which keeps those potentially wanting in, unable despite the thousand plus units available. There is also a resort fee through rci that II doesn't have. The inventory I've seen in II is deposited quite earliest, almost 1 year or even slightly earlier. So there may have been weeks but no longer.

Also Mayan group only started depositing Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace about a year or so ago. They were available as getaway only for about a year before that. Grande luxxe has been with II since it was first built. So I am not sure if any of the deposits for grand Mayan are actually owner deposits or if it is just excess developer inventory given to II now that rci (and SFX) has been asked again to enforce the 1 in x rule after several years of exemptions.

I don't think the problem is with the dri points. Points in II generally go in priority by when the search was initiated and won't be bumped by a stronger deposit.

I kind of think if he hasn't matched by now it isn't likely unless he catches a cancellation. It doesn't seem like Mayan deposits at 6 months or less in any quantities.

I have a tendency to only check Riviera Mayan so it may be different on the west coast.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan probably deposits 2-3 times the inventory in rci than II. Rci also has the 1 in 3 rule which keeps those potentially wanting in, unable despite the thousand plus units available. There is also a resort fee through rci that II doesn't have. The inventory I've seen in II is deposited quite almost 1 year or even slightly earlier. So there may have been weeks but no longer.

Also Mayan group only started depositing grand Mayan and Grand Palace about a year or so ago. They were available as getaway only for about a year before that. Grande luxxe has been with II since it was first built. So I am not sure if any of the deposits for grand Mayan are actually owner deposits or if it is just excess developer inventory given to II now that rci (and SFX) has been asked again to enforce the 1 in x rule after several years of exemptions.

I don't think the problem is with the dri points. Points in II generally go in priority by when the search was initiated and won't be bumped by a stronger deposit.

I kind of think if he hasn't matched by now it isn't likely unless he catches a cancellation. It doesn't seem like Mayan deposits at 6 months or less in any quantities.

I have a tendency to only check Riviera Mayan so it may be different on the west coast.

Thanks for the helpful info! II has the date he needs as a getaway but he's trying to use something he bought 10 years ago from the developer for the 1st time so spending additional $$ is out of the question.

So at this point, do you think it's better for me to just book it for him via rci? His points are expiring soon so I'll just try to use his points. I'm afraid that if I release this week, it won't come up again. Received a grand bliss match too
:cheer:. Wish it was me going!!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If he needs Easter week then you should probably book rci at this point. Keep in mind the higher exchange fee and resort fee apply to rci bookings. II works a lot better if you don't have to travel during holidays and school vacations. For all the b****ing about rci renting out prime deposits I find it so much easier to find exchanges to places I want to go even during holidays and summer. I do think their fees are high but at least they get you there as long as you can look early and are willing to commit to the vacation when you see it minus the hold and/or grace period.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If he needs Easter week then you should probably book rci at this point. Keep in mind the higher exchange fee and resort fee apply to rci bookings. II works a lot better if you don't have to travel during holidays and school vacations. For all the b****ing about rci renting out prime deposits I find it so much easier to find exchanges to places I want to go even during holidays and summer. I do think their fees are high but at least they get you there as long as you can look early and are willing to commit to the vacation when you see it minus the hold and/or grace period.

Couldn't agree more! Thanks, I'm going to proceed with booking it.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Interesting note about RCI. Last week I booked two weeks for the GM in Acapulco for mid January 2016!

What is even more surprising is that I got one bedroom and two bedroom suites using very low exchange deposits, and even though I didn't use them, it was allowing MP deposits for the GM exchange as well.

The point is RCI doesn't treat all Vidanta resorts equally. These trades would not be allowed at many of their other resorts and for so little.

RCI and Vidanta have to be in a very close relationship for these differences to occur.

Obviously, Acapulco exchanges are still scaring people away as reflected by the availability of these trades. TripAdvisor is loaded with recent complaints of heavy construction, but RCI claims that will be finished in 2015, before we get there.

Note to Phyllis: Finally getting back to Acapulco (since Feb, 2004)!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Ron -you will be amazed at the changes - only the lobby will be the same. We still love Mayan Palace in Acapulco!!! :whoopie: It is where we first learned about Mayan Palace. We bought a week in February 1999 while staying at an awful resort and spent the last 3 full days of our vacation there that year in luxury. We have been there more than any of the other Mayan Resorts. We are firming up plans for Riviera Maya for late spring 2015 and then Acapulco will be next up in our rotation. :)

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try Acapulco, too, and good to hear they're allowing upgrades from MP for that location. However, I believe the MP units there are/will be fairly new so probably in good condition, and the location is good @ MP there, too.