• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chichen Itza in late April or early May?

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wondering about Cancun and Chichen Itza in late April or early May.

Previous visit to Cancun was in June a few years ago. Hot but breezes from ocean made it bearable at the resort. We skipped a trip to Chichen Itza, however, because we heard it was inland and would be too hot, humid and buggy in June. We visited Tulum on the coast, instead.

I still want to see the ruins in Chichen Itza. Will it be be OK in late April or early May, or will it already be too hot?

If unbearable in April/May, when is a better time to visit the ruins?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to climate data for there. It looks like the most pleasant time there is like Nov., Dec., and Jan. But frankly, the daytime highs don't differ much throughout the year. Humidity and rainfall, however might. http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/mexico/chichen-itza.php

We stayed an overnight in the bungalows here: http://www.mayaland.com/hotelchichenitza/index.php It was truly a memorable, pleasant, wonderful experience. The place is adjacent to the ruins and you can go there after hours, and walk 'home' after the evening performances.

Jim

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to May or June, but we were there in a July and, while we had a good time and it was an incredible visit, it was miserably hot. (We came over from Cozumel on a tour and never even thought of the heat, duh. But back then I wasn't as sensitive to the heat as I am now.) They even had an ambulance there picking up someone with heat stroke.

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a couple of websites that gave detailed weather info for Chichen Itza. It looks as though we should wait until we can travel during January or February. Both April and May are rated as very hot, humid and uncomfortable, so we will pass on that option.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
just a thought....

We have gone to Chichen Itza twice in late April. It was definitely very hot and humid. The first time, it was miserable, as we were not prepared properly. The second time, MUCH better! Here are my tips as I really believe you do NOT want to miss Chichen Itza! It is a place that is like no other!

1. Get one of those misters that spray water. You can carry it with you and spray yourself as needed.

3. Bring baggies, and fill with ice the night before you go. Then, morning of the excursion, take them out, put a washcloth in each baggie, and as you are walking through the ruins, they ice will melt and leave a cool washcloth. THIS HELPED US A LOT!

4. Take the very early morning privatish tour that leaves at like 6 am. (or, pay more and just drive yourself, or take a private tour all together) You will be with less people, get to the ruins before the big busses get there, and most importantly, get their before the highest temperatures in the afternoon. This too will REALLY help you.

5. Ok, the obvious, but bring lots of water. If you have a small collapsible cooler, bring that too, with the water on ice. The cold water really does help cool you off.

6. Take shade breaks at CI when you can. Enjoy the cold water from your cooler, the nice ice cold washcloth, and rest while you cool off.

I truly believe if you follow these tips, you will enjoy your trip to a MUST SEE!

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
just a thought....

We have gone to Chichen Itza twice in late April. It was definitely very hot and humid. The first time, it was miserable, as we were not prepared properly. The second time, MUCH better! Here are my tips as I really believe you do NOT want to miss Chichen Itza! It is a place that is like no other!

1. Get one of those misters that spray water. You can carry it with you and spray yourself as needed.

3. Bring baggies, and fill with ice the night before you go. Then, morning of the excursion, take them out, put a washcloth in each baggie, and as you are walking through the ruins, they ice will melt and leave a cool washcloth. THIS HELPED US A LOT!

4. Take the very early morning privatish tour that leaves at like 6 am. (or, pay more and just drive yourself, or take a private tour all together) You will be with less people, get to the ruins before the big busses get there, and most importantly, get their before the highest temperatures in the afternoon. This too will REALLY help you.

5. Ok, the obvious, but bring lots of water. If you have a small collapsible cooler, bring that too, with the water on ice. The cold water really does help cool you off.

6. Take shade breaks at CI when you can. Enjoy the cold water from your cooler, the nice ice cold washcloth, and rest while you cool off.

I truly believe if you follow these tips, you will enjoy your trip to a MUST SEE!

What a helpful post! Thank you for taking the time:hi:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We went in December and I remember it being warm then too. I would take
The advice here on how to handle the heat because it ranks up there as one of
The best tours I've ever taken. The whole experience was great.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We we in Chichen Itza in Jan and by noon it is pretty hot, imo. The best advice we took was that of Jim Ricks. We stayed the night at Mayaland resort.

On the first night you have early admission to the lighting of the temples so you will be front row. Its pretty cool.

When you stay at this resort you also gain access to a private entry to Chichen itza and early admission. Your entry time is an easy 90 minutes earlier than that of the general public. The ruins are so awesome without all of the people there.

After you take in the ruins you can hop into the pool at maya land resort. Our room in the hotel looked at the observatory ruins. It was pretty cool watching the sun go down and the lighting on this ruin.

The food is way better at the resort restaurant than the buffet meals the tour buses get, imo.

Bill

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think if you can go in Jan or Feb, you should wait. I went in May and it was about 104 in the shade. Then it poured down rain for 20 minutes and felt pretty good for another 10 minutes and then it was back to stiflingly hot and wet and humid for the rest of the time.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Bill. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We took one of the bungalows. Thatched roof, but thoroughly modern. We went on into Merida for the day before returning to Cancun.

Jim

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to be at Cancun the first of June. Are there any of the private tours that let you spend the night there?

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was about 20 years ago that we went to Chichen Itaz and it was via the old highway. About how long does it take now to get from the hotel zone to it with the new highway?

indyjuli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time to Drive on the New Hwy

Hi Riverdees,
I just went in May and we drove from the Mayan Riviera to CI on the new highway. It took about an hour and a half, maybe longer. I do remember we had to pay $26 USD to use the toll. Yes, you saw that correctly. And it costs to get into the ruins. I am guessing $16 or higher.

I melted like everyone else but am a trooper. I wore a hat and bought water when we ran out and stood in the shade to cool off.

Juli

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Been in late April and in March. Late April was very hot, but we managed the whole place without a real tour guide because we went with friends that had been there before. We had water and took lots of shade breaks- took the old roads on the way home. March was a bit better, but still pretty warm.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thanks, Bill. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We took one of the bungalows. Thatched roof, but thoroughly modern. We went on into Merida for the day before returning to Cancun.

Jim

Your very welcome Jim. It is me that should be thanking you so "thank you". There is nothing like having these ruins to yourself, imo. The coffee at Pavarottis is some of the best I ever had. The food was really good too.

Bill

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
How will it be in February?

We have made other plans for April and May and will save Cancun and Chichen Itza for another year.

For the next couple of years, our friends can only travel during the last week in February. If we try for that in 2016, will late February be a good time to go?

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Perhaps a bit cooler than March.

nyparadigm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Three years ago I booked a Chichen Itza tour for a group of 9 through Grayline tours. I don't remember the exact details, but the "basic" tour included a van, driver, guide, and a buffet lunch at Mayaland. I am 100% certain that I paid for the basic tour, but somehow the tickets they sent me were for a really deluxe tour (which was obviously more expensive). I was sure that they would catch this difference when we got on the van, but they never did.

My reason for telling this tale is that, while the people on the basic tour looked to have a really nice time - the lunch buffet looked great, and the quality of guide etc was equal to ours - the deluxe trip that we got was FANTASTIC. The important difference on that scorchingly hot April day was that the deluxe tour included an all inclusive a la carte lunch and open bar at Mayaland hotel restaurant and USE OF THE HOTEL POOL which is adjacent to the restaurant. There were many (hundreds perhaps?) of people on the basic tour, and almost nobody beside us on the deluxe. The sit-down restaurant itself was almost empty and we were waited on hand-and-foot. Over the course of two hours we all drank, ate, and splashed around the pool, after which we somewhat tipsily climbed back into the van and dozed through the trip back to the hotel.

If you are worried about the heat - which can be really oppressive - you might want to investigate this "deluxe" option if it is still available. It was a great day(obviously made better for us by the fact that we did not have to pay for it).

Good luck.
Chris

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Uxmal or the Ruta Puuc?

A few years ago we went to Merida for a couple of nights. Merida is an awesome city, but what we remember the most from that trip was our day in the Ruta Puuc. This is a route which takes you through many Mayan ruins in one days. We had Uxmal almost to ourselves, it amazing! The rest of the ruins sites we DID have to ourselves! That day is a day we will never forget, and by far the best day for touring ruins. Now, we have been to Tulum, Coba, Chitzen Itza and those 5 sites in the Ruta Puuc, so it is not like we have not seen a lot of ruins! :)

http://www.mayan-ruins.org/ruta-puuc/
http://www.yucatansecrets.com/arqueologia/rutapuuc/ruta_puuc_eng.php

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
we did the grayline tour and arranged it over 2 days so we could spend 1 night at mayaland resort. we rode over with one group, had lunch and did the tour. it was too hot for the tour so we ditched it halfway and went to the hotel pool and that was wonderful. the tour bus stopped at too many trinket shops on the way to chitzen itza so on subsequent trips we just drive and spend the night at maya land, a resort not to miss.

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, make sure you hire one of their travel guides. We have been twice, and it is money sell spent! These guys know their history, and really bring the place to life.