• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Places to eat/visit Puerto Vallarta

Loghtyrian

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my second post in this community :)

After avoiding being scammed (thanks to you guys) :)

I decided to forget all about it by visiting PV for some good Mexican food (me being a Mexican :p)

There is an old thread about places to eat in PV so any updates?

Thanks !

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are nearly 800 restaurants on Tripadvisor for PV. It really depends on the type of food you like, how much you want to spend and the ambiance you are looking for. I personally keep a list of my favorites but every year some disappear and new wonderful ones emerge.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
For a sample of local places, I highly recommend Vallarta Eats. Its a walking tour of Old Town with stops at some street food places and markets. They have a number of types of food and drink tours.

www.vallartaeats.com

Cheers

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Our 2 favorite places that always have more locals than Americans are:
  • El Marlin - is just across the street from the airport and there is one up the street across from the Pemex station that is "downtown" (as you enter from the airport).
  • Mariscos El Coleguita at the Marina. It is close to the main road instead of the hotel area.

Last edited:

CableMan67

Reaction score
Just came back from PV last week:
2 great places for seafood:
La Langosta Feliz- Rep. Dominicana 120 Altos, Lázaro Cárdenas, 48330 Puerto Vallarta, JAL, Mexico

Mariscos Cuetos- Brasilia 469, 5 de Diciembre, 48350 Puerto Vallarta, Jal., Mexico

I recommend both places, good food and prices!!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cableman - these 2 restaurants are among my favorites...they are run by the same family - cousins, I think.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are so many great restaurants in PV. Here are a few of our favorites.

Cafe de Olla - margaritas are good but strong: good Mexican food: yummy rellenos. Right off of Los Muertos Beach. We eat here several times. Closed Tuesdays. The taco stand right next door, Takos Pancho, is great, too.

Casa Isabel - spectacular view and real nice restaurant; get a table on the edge for a view. We watch football games there. Food is very good, not excellent, but the view is worth it!

Barcelona Tapas - 80 steps and view of city.

Archie's Wok- Asian and very good. Archie was the former chef of John Huston, the director Closed Sundays

Gaby's - on Mina near the Guadeloupe cathedral. Excellent Molcajete!!

La Palapa - make a sunset reservation on the beach. Romantic! Good food...overpriced maybe but such a nice place if you reserve a table in the sand at sunset. Romantic.

El Brujo - great salsa. I like the shrimp and onions delivered wrapped in a foil packet.

Daiquiri Dick's - patio near beach, great food and really great daiquiris 2 for 1 four to six

Joe Jacks Fish Shack - mojitos!!! Try the fresh Ginger mojitos. Excellent battered or grilled fish tacos. 2 for 1 mojitos during the day.

Tony's La Choza - in the town of Mismaloya; we take the bus there and a taxi home; walk through the dirt street in Mismaloya and the children will guide you to Tony's; it is upstairs with a sand floor and a jungle view. Great shrimp wrapped in bacon.

Cafe Bohemio - so great! Sol makes homemade soup with each entree; Shrimp Imperial is great. Sol, the owner, is really a hoot!

Sea Monkey - beach restaurant under Vista del Sol condos near bridge over Cuale River to the Malecon. $1 drinks and beers. Drinks not great but cold beer is a dollar.

Encanto - LOVE this family run place. It is near Naranja and Aquiles Serdan; kind of far from the beach. Love the fish in banana leaves and coconut shrimp. Get a Garbage Salad to share. They give you free appetizers and after dinner kahlua and cream. Our favorite. Piano is the main server.

Cuates y Cuetes - near the pier on Los Muertos Beach - webcam there - wave to it as you pass by. Great 2 for 1 drinks Happy Hour. Good sunset viewing.

El Arrayan - Allende #344 off the Malecon- voted Best Mexican Restaurant in Vallarta. Really great flavors. Traditional dishes from different regions of Mexico. Excellent! The duck is excellent and I love the Chile en Nogada.

Hacienda San Angel - wonderful for a special meal. Mariachis are the best ever. 11 pieces La Joya de Mexico. The building is a home Richard Burton bought for his wife, Susan

El Mole de Javita on Basilio Badillo. Family recipe mole. Owned by Sergio and Javita is his mom. Have not been but have sampled the mole. Excellent!

La Playita is the restaurant at Lindo Mar which is south of town a little ways. Great weekend brunch. Good food at other times, too. Happy Hour at noon and five. Ask for a "window seat". Open air with a lovely view of the little, rocky beach area.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thank you -SciTchr-Ruth

I think you gave us enough good ones for 3 PV visits

I will add 2 of my favorite PV / Mexico - non sit down food stops .

1) Tamales from a cooler - likely homemade by the vendor or family 10-15 pesos .

2016 - on the way into the NV Walmart coming back from Sayalita by local bus .

2016 - San Juan de Abajo - outside the church from a 3'wheel bicycle vending cart .
Mom & Dad spoke no English , 16 year old son asked if I wanted pork rib or beef - said he did grade 9 in LA living at his American uncle's home . Rib ones were really good .
Took the collectivo from Nuevo - SEA GARDEN area .

2) Fresh Fruit in a bag with hot pepper - the bus area in front of the PV Walmart
hot chilli pepper sprinkled flakes make you sweat and fruit cools you down - all at the same time

Last edited:

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Some really good advise above!

I love the calamari at Archie's Wok - it's light and tender.

I usually stay at the Lindo Mar, so I am partial to La Playita's brunch. Be VERY careful of the margaritas during happy hour though - They're 1/2 price and two of them put me on my butt.

Cuates y Cuetes - this is my go to spot for daily people watching, negra modelo drinking (when they have it) and appetizer eating. Just to the right of the Los Muertos pier. Do give the webcam a wave!

Cafe Bohemio - Can be quite entertaining if Sol has been drinking. I won't say more :)

Pollo Feliz - very nice seasonings on the chicken and they have tables you can sit at.

Pechugon - A block from the Pollo Feliz and has jucier chicken, but seasonings are a little lighter. They also cook their potatoes under the dripping rotisserie chickens - get a side of them! Take out only.

I also eat at the lunch spots in the public market. Not the one that sells trinkets .... go inland a few blocks to the corner of Camachin and Lazaro Cardenas.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
[*]Mariscos El Coleguita at the Marina. It is close to the main road instead of the hotel area.
[/LIST]

Speaking generally about the Marina ----- I think the Marina is much more interesting when you continue all the way to the far side. After dinner that area is much less gringo. I had some late night bebidas there where I have been the only gringo on site. I surmise that is the area in the Marina where the locals go in the evening, after they get off work.

When DW are in the Marina, that is where we always head on our first night, after we arrive and check-in. Prices are better, food is great, atmosphere is much more relaxing. Leftovers easily get us a second meal plus one lunch. And they love to have us visit.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steak Restaurant

What about a good steak restaurant? I'm looking for something comparable to Puerto Madero (Cancun) which is my husband's favorite restaurant. Thanks so much!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
What about a good steak restaurant? I'm looking for something comparable to Puerto Madero (Cancun) which is my husband's favorite restaurant. Thanks so much!

Buenos Aires in the Marina has awesome grilled Prime Rib. It is more than I can eat, but I do share with hubby. :) I just order salad and veggies. It is not super fancy, but we enjoy going there and generally eat there for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buenos Aires in the Marina has awesome grilled Prime Rib. It is more than I can eat, but I do share with hubby. :) I just order salad and veggies. It is not super fancy, but we enjoy going there and generally eat there for Thanksgiving Dinner.
Looking forward to that, only a couple of months until we get there.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
A classic dish is camarones al mojo de ajo

The ingredients are a closely guarded secret but it is a local specialty.

We found a place (I can't remember the name now) DW walked into the kitchen and begged for the recipe. The chef just gave basic info but no secrets.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A classic dish is camarones al mojo de ajo

The ingredients are a closely guarded secret but it is a local specialty.

We found a place (I can't remember the name now) DW walked into the kitchen and begged for the recipe. The chef just gave basic info but no secrets.
garlic shrimp - usually a garlic butter sauce with onions and a some peppers.