• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Villa Del Palmar Puerto Vallarta - First Timers! (2016)

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! We are headed to Puerto Vallarta for the first time in October. We have been going to Cancun (Royal Resorts) for over 20 years and decided to change it up this year so we traded our timeshare for Puerto Vallarta and confirmed a 2 bedroom villa @ Villa Del Palmar. I would love to hear any suggestions on what "we must do and see". There are 4 of us in our 40's and we love to venture out and explore. Suggestions for dinner? Tours? Should we rent a car? Transportation from the airport? Is the airport as busy as Cancun? I heard they have the same "timeshare Shark Tank"! ha!
Tipping? Does the resort use a card system and you get the bill at the end of the week? We would love to go to Costco and stock up on groceries (beer) - is it close by? Any tips on what to pack (or is it the same as Cancun?)

Any tips are greatly appreciated!!!!
Jan

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of links in the info sticky at the top of this forum.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been going to PV since 1984. It is very different from Cancun, you will know you are in Mexico. The people are wonderful. You will not find the Caribbean beaches and water colors but you can swim in the bay at VdP. I don't know what you are referring to by a "card system" but you charge everything to your room and pay when you check out. The resort has an all inclusive option which I would not recommend. There is a small grocery store and deli on the premises.

You really won't need a car. The bus system in Puerto Vallarta is great and very cheap plus taxis are not too expensive. The bus will stop right outside the resort, you will just need to know which bus to take where. Someone at VdP can tell you.

Costco, as well as Walmart and Sam's are not far by taxi. There is a grocery store across the street within walking distance.

The food in PV is the best, much better than Cancun IMHO. Restaurants are abundant with plenty of choices in cuisine and budget. I would use the Trip Advisor PV Forum or restaurant reviews to get recommendations. It would be to your benefit to specify your interests. A few names I can give are Vista Grill, Joe Jack's Fish Shack, El Palomar de los Gonzalez, Coco Tropical, fajita Republic, la Palapa, La Dolce Vita, La Langosta Feliz, El Arrayan, Barcelona Tapas, Porto Bello or Victor's both in the marina, there are just too many to mention! I think these are all still there, our last trip was in 2013; we will be there in November for 2 weeks.

As far as activities and tours, there is a zoo, zip lines, fishing. golf, and lots of boat tours. You may want to ask on Trip Advisor to get recommendations. You can check "Vallarta Adventures" online to see some of the tours offered. You can snorkel and scuba dive but it does not compare to Cancun.

You will be fine packing like you would for Cancun. October is usually quite humid and considered the rainy season. Hope this helps!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You really won't need a car. The bus system in Puerto Vallarta is great and very cheap plus taxis are not too expensive. The bus will stop right outside the resort, you will just need to know which bus to take where. Someone at VdP can tell you.
[deleted - incorrect information]

A money saving option that we do involves taxis from the airport. Picking up a taxi at the airport is more expensive because those taxis pay a hefty airport access fee. IIRC for service to the Marina it almost doubles the taxi fare.

See if the resort will pay for taxi service. Some of them do, to try to keep their guests out of the clutches of other resorts, who will give them a ride in exchange for a timeshare sales presentation.

When we go to PV, we head out the door of the airport, past the airport taxis, and bear to the left to beyond the edge of the building. That brings you to a footbridge on the other side of the highway that goes past the airport terminal. There is a taxi stand at the base of the footbridge, and they will take you to the Marina without the airport fee. Be sure to confirm the fare when you get in.

Tipping taxi drivers is not customary. I have had taxi drivers that refused to accept a tip.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like Vallarta Adventures for a few of our activities. They offer a 3 for 2 deal so we have been doing 3 tours every time were in the area. Rhythms of the nights, extreme zip line and multiple scuba trips are my recent fun times.

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com

If you can stay awake long enough the PV night clubs off the malecon are fun.

The Villa del Palmar PV is very close to Costco and a couple of other grocery stores. If you have a car there is easy self parking. The resort uses a credit card system that all members of your group will use to charge to your room and actually settle up when you check out. Tipping is not mandatory but we tip the maid and servers. There is a $3.00 a day charge added to the check out bill to tip those that you never see. Internet is free to owners. My cell phone with Tmoble had 3g speeds connected to telcel.

We always get a car. There are parking garages in Old Town and in the Romantic zone by the main malecon area. Driving is easy in PV.

October is great fishing in Banderas Bay area. Hire a panga out of La Cruz, Punta Mita or Sayulita.

Bill

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
The original poster needs to clarify whether he is going to VDP in town or in Nuevo, as some of the remarks re busses refer to Nuevo and not the VDP in town.

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score
All buses outside VdP are Marina Vallarta buses. They all go downtown, passing WalMart/Sam's Club on the way in to town. On the way back from downtown, any bus with Marina Vallarta written on the windshield will get you back.

It's been several years since I have used the buses because of a handicap but I believe the about quote is not talking of VdP Puerto Vallarta. You do not pass Walmart going into town or on the way back. The Marina Buses will get you to Walmart/Sam's and the marina. To go that way you would have too cross the street to catch the bus. To go into town we used to take the buses marked "Centro", boarding on the same side of the street as VdP; I don't know if that has changed which is why I suggest you ask at the resort or on TA.
There is VdP Flamingos resort which is Nuevo Vallarta that be above quote may have been referring to.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's been several years since I have used the buses because of a handicap but I believe the about quote is not talking of VdP Puerto Vallarta. You do not pass Walmart going into town or on the way back. The Marina Buses will get you to Walmart/Sam's and the marina. To go that way you would have too cross the street to catch the bus. To go into town we used to take the buses marked "Centro", boarding on the same side of the street as VdP; I don't know if that has changed which is why I suggest you ask at the resort or on TA.
There is VdP Flamingos resort which is Nuevo Vallarta that be above quote may have been referring to.

You are absolutely right. I got my resorts mixed up in my mind. Should have checked the map first. I'm going back and amending my previous post.

kpeiper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cafe des Artistes had an amazing dinner. We had our Honeymoon at VdP so it is special to us. We like to shop the large Mexican grocery stores rather than the US chains. Dinner on the beach at La Palapa is great at sunset. We very much enjoyed Ritmos de la Noche with VA. The timeshare presentation usually pays for that night out! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The original poster needs to clarify whether he is going to VDP in town or in Nuevo, as some of the remarks re busses refer to Nuevo and not the VDP in town.

The VDP in Nuevo Vallarta is called Flamigos. The VDP in PV is called Villa del Palmar.

I thought the original post was about heading to the Villa del Palmar PV because the original post says they were going to PV , not NV.

Bill

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
[deleted - incorrect information]

A money saving option that we do involves taxis from the airport. Picking up a taxi at the airport is more expensive because those taxis pay a hefty airport access fee. IIRC for service to the Marina it almost doubles the taxi fare.

See if the resort will pay for taxi service. Some of them do, to try to keep their guests out of the clutches of other resorts, who will give them a ride in exchange for a timeshare sales presentation.

VDP PV offers a service from the airport themselves so they will not pay for your taxi. We usually order it since I ordered to know in advance .. You bedrock fact the. And order it. Altho there is a company that I like better . My friend always gets a taxi herself.. But I don't want to .

They will greet you and then press fir the timeshare presentation out a Flamingos at Nuevo. Such pressure even to sign
Up. We usually have to plead personal medical problems to get away from that desk.

We would never get a car to drive.. The drivers are crazy. The bus is easy and cheap.

We usually walked to Costco, maybe 20 minutes,, then taxi back. Would go to the grocery store across the street (Soriano) almost everyday. Watch fir timeshare sharks there too.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been going to PV since 1984. It is very different from Cancun, you will know you are in Mexico. The people are wonderful. You will not find the Caribbean beaches and water colors but you can swim in the bay at VdP. I don't know what you are referring to by a "card system" but you charge everything to your room and pay when you check out. The resort has an all inclusive option which I would not recommend. There is a small grocery store and deli on the premises.

Costco, as well as Walmart and Sam's are not far by taxi. There is a grocery store across the street within walking distance.

The food in PV is the best, much better than Cancun IMHO. Restaurants are abundant with plenty of choices in cuisine and budget. I would use the Trip Advisor PV Forum or restaurant reviews to get recommendations. It would be to your benefit to specify your interests. A few names I can give are Vista Grill, Joe Jack's Fish Shack, El Palomar de los Gonzalez, Coco Tropical, fajita Republic, la Palapa, La Dolce Vita, La Langosta Feliz, El Arrayan, Barcelona Tapas, Porto Bello or Victor's both in the marina, there are just too many to mention! I think these are all still there, our last trip was in 2013; we will be there in November for 2 weeks.

As far as activities and tours, there is a zoo, zip lines, fishing. golf, and lots of boat tours. You may want to ask on Trip Advisor to get recommendations. You can check "Vallarta Adventures" online to see some of the tours offered. You can snorkel and scuba dive but it does not compare to Cancun.

You will be fine packing like you would for Cancun. October is usually quite humid and considered the rainy season. Hope this helps!

This is awesome information!! Thank you so much!

My husband is looking for a good steak house. He loves Puerto Madero in Cancun so we are looking for something along the same lines. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! I am the original poster. We are going to Villa Del Palmar Puerto Vallarta.
Thanks,
Jan

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
This is awesome information!! Thank you so much!

My husband is looking for a good steak house. He loves Puerto Madero in Cancun so we are looking for something along the same lines. Thanks in advance!

I see that El Andariego (The Wanderer) is still open. Av Mexico at San Salvador. Now it has been almost 20 years since my last trip to PV, but that was one of my best restaurant meals ever. Came up as 2nd rated Steakhouse listing on Tripadvisor, but the prices are much more moderate than more posh places, the servings were HUGE when there (the sampler for 2 would have served a family of five). It is located right at the beginning of the Malecon, so take a leisurely stroll through town after dinner to work of the excess.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see that El Andariego (The Wanderer) is still open. Av Mexico at San Salvador. Now it has been almost 20 years since my last trip to PV, but that was one of my best restaurant meals ever. Came up as 2nd rated Steakhouse listing on Tripadvisor, but the prices are much more moderate than more posh places, the servings were HUGE when there (the sampler for 2 would have served a family of five). It is located right at the beginning of the Malecon, so take a leisurely stroll through town after dinner to work of the excess.

Thank you!!!!!!

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Room Selection

My trade confirmation (online - not the PDF) from II says we will have unit UUU2 (2 Bedrooms). Do they usually give you the room that II assigns or can you request a different room? Thanks! ~ Jan

Last edited:

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score
My trade confirmation (online - not the PDF) from II says we will have unit UUU2 (2 Bedrooms). To they usually give you the room that II assigns or can you request a different room? Thanks! ~ Jan

UUU2 means there is no assigned unit. Units are assigned at check in. They will not take requests before check in, not even from owners. Exchangers do not get the best locations but it may not be as full when you go in October since it is low season. It never hurts to ask!

I don't know if you are planning to listen to their timeshare spiel but we have found the salesman at VdP Flamingos (where they will take you) to be utterly obnoxious.

We eat mostly seafood so I don't know of any specific steak houses. I wouldn't call El Andariego a steak house but I would recommend it.

I don't know how high end you want to dine but if you want a special night I would recommend Hacienda San Angel. Make sure it is a night when the mariachis are they and try to go for sunset. It is always good to go to the malecon on Sunday nights, it is a big night for the locals to out on the town and there is usually local entertainment in the outdoor theater.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
UUU2 means there is no assigned unit. Units are assigned at check in. They will not take requests before check in, not even from owners. Exchangers do not get the best locations but it may not be as full when you go in October since it is low season. It never hurts to ask!

I don't know if you are planning to listen to their timeshare spiel but we have found the salesman at VdP Flamingos (where they will take you) to be utterly obnoxious.

We eat mostly seafood so I don't know of any specific steak houses. I wouldn't call El Andariego a steak house but I would recommend it.

I don't know how high end you want to dine but if you want a special night I would recommend Hacienda San Angel. Make sure it is a night when the mariachis are they and try to go for sunset. It is always good to go to the malecon on Sunday nights, it is a big night for the locals to out on the town and there is usually local entertainment in the outdoor theater.

Thanks Carole! Any tips or advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated. We really just want to experience the city/town and all it has to offer. We love to walk and explore and love to stop at local pubs for a local beer or cocktail :)
Any tours we MUST do? Not do?

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The shark tank is now described as minnows. Just look forward and walk to the glass doors to exit the room. We just book a taxi with posted rates at the little Windows on your right as you leave the tank. We once walked across the pedestrian bridge to see what it was like, but really - it does not save you that much. If you are on a very tight budget you might want to do it. Don't rent a car. The taxis are plentiful and cheap. Buses are super cheap and fun to ride for us. If you are unsure, just ask the bus driver when you get on the bus if he goes to your destination. We go to Walmart to stock up for our three-four weeks. Have done Costco a couple of times, but Walmart has full grocery items. For great experiences we loved Wildlife Connections. You get to swim with dolphins in the open ocean. Check out my review on TripAdvisor. Very meaningful. We also enjoyed Rhythms of the Night by Vallarta Adventures. Ocean Grill is a great experience. You need to bus to Boca de Tomatlan and then take a water taxi to Ocean Grill. Reservation only. PV has so very much to do and see. I sent you a PM with my way too long list of things to do, see and eat. Enjoy!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Carole! Any tips or advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated. We really just want to experience the city/town and all it has to offer. We love to walk and explore and love to stop at local pubs for a local beer or cocktail :)

Have you reviewed information in the Sticky thread on "Helpful Travel and Vacation Information for individual Locations in Mexico" at the top of the Mexico Timesharing page? That's a good place to start, and has a lot of consolidated information.

October 26 is the first night of the 2016-2016 art walk season. That's a time when most of the galleries in the area just north of downtown stay open late. People wander from gallery to gallery, and most of them serve up some inexpensive wine and crackers. There are a number of nice restaurants that are in the area (Café des Artistes, Sí Señor, El Arrayan), so enjoy a dinner then do the Art Walk.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
The shark tank is now described as minnows. Just look forward and walk to the glass doors to exit the room. We just book a taxi with posted rates at the little Windows on your right as you leave the tank. We once walked across the pedestrian bridge to see what it was like, but really - it does not save you that much. If you are on a very tight budget you might want to do it. Don't rent a car. The taxis are plentiful and cheap. Buses are super cheap and fun to ride for us. If you are unsure, just ask the bus driver when you get on the bus if he goes to your destination. We go to Walmart to stock up for our three-four weeks. Have done Costco a couple of times, but Walmart has full grocery items. For great experiences we loved Wildlife Connections. You get to swim with dolphins in the open ocean. Check out my review on TripAdvisor. Very meaningful. We also enjoyed Rhythms of the Night by Vallarta Adventures. Ocean Grill is a great experience. You need to bus to Boca de Tomatlan and then take a water taxi to Ocean Grill. Reservation only. PV has so very much to do and see. I sent you a PM with my way too long list of things to do, see and eat. Enjoy!

I can't thank you enough!!! ~ Jan

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have been going for so long that we no longer do tours, we just wing it on our own. You can walk the malecon from the beginning of town to the south side and do lots of exploring and shopping. For us, it's always been if we see something that interests us, we stop. We used to walk anywhere and everywhere, now we tend to stay in the main areas. PV is still much safer than most cities in the US but you still need to be careful. On the south side, you can walk around the Baseo Badillo area where many of the restaurants can be found. There are a lot of beachside restaurants on Los Muertos beach.

If you want a fun bar for the 40 & older crowd, try Andale's; it's always fun. We have found the zip line tours to be fun and have heard people rave about the dinner tour, Rhythms of the Night. You can take the water taxi from Los Muertos Pier to Yelapa for sightseeing along the coast. Yelapa is a little village with a waterfall you can walk to. Boat/snorkel tours to los Arcos may include a stop in Quimixto where there are a lot of beach side restaurants here and a waterfall that you can get to via horseback.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a wifi fee for exchangers thru II at Villa Del Palmar Puerta Vallarta, and if so how much? We are trying to decide between this resort and VDP Flamingos. My family uses 5 tablets/phones in total and I read that VDP Flamingos charges $10 per day per device and I wonder if Villa Del Palmar PV is more reasonable in regard to wifi for exchangers. Thanks!