• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traveling from Cali, recommend a MX resort for family

rudyr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had great experiences traveling to Marriott's Waiohai in Hawaii. To us, it is s top notch resort. Super clean, great pools, semi-private beach, accessible grills, and the rooms were spacious with a fantastic kitchen.

My wife has an interest in trying out Mexico, ideally to a city with the same timezone or close to CA's. Are there any destinations and resorts folks with more experience than us would recommend? We're really trying to get as close to the same experience as we got with the Waiohai in terms to cleanliness, beach accessibility, and pools. I'm not sure if grocery store purchases + cooking are also in the cards or local pricing makes it such that it's not much of a financial benefit to cook.

Any destination cities, associated resorts, recommended months would be welcome! Ty in advance :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Well, I like going to Mexico, for Mexico's sake. It isn't Hawaii, but there are some very nice resorts. Look at the Pueblo Bonito resorts, or Vida's Grand Bliss resorts. I doubt you'd be disappointed. From S. California, probably the best access, and shortest flights would be in Cabo San Lucas- which actually is a conglomeration of several resort towns. Another good choice (if you want stay at the resort) would be Nuevo Vallarta. There are several top quality resorts there, and with swimmable beaches which are scarce at Cabo. Puerto Vallarta also has great resorts, and the city of Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful, and welcoming city with great restaurants and galleries. Both these areas are one or at max 2 time zones from California.

These areas and resorts are not difficult exchanges or rentals.

Jim

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think you should stray from CA time zone and go to the Mayan Riviera (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum and everywhere in between.) The ocean is SPECTACULAR in that area and there are many, many nice timeshares as well. (There are also a LOT of things to do in that area from Mayan ruins, swimming with the dolphins, eco parks, adventure parks, etc.)We own at the Royal Resorts, but I know there are many other very nice resorts to choose from. If you wanted to stay at a Royal Resort, I would recommend the Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen. Beautiful resort close to Playa and nice walking beach.

That said, we like the Los Cabos area also and go there frequently as well. We have stayed at the Grand Solmar, Hilton and another resort I forgot the same of. All were very nice.

For your first trip to Mexico though, go with the Mayan Riviera!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Cabo, Nuevo Vallarta and Puerto Vallarta remind me of Southern California, especially Cabo. Costco, Walmart and many other businesses that are in the states are in these cities with similar prices.

In Cabo, the Pueblo Bonito's and Villa Group resorts are very popular. Pueblo Bonito doesn't require all inclusive.

In Nuevo Vallarta, there are many resorts but the Mayan properties are the easiest to trade into because they are so large. Mayan properties do not require all inclusive. We also like the many activities in this area which includes PV. We use Vallarta Adventures and always go to the rhythms of the night dinner show, extreme zip lining and scuba.

Bill

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pueblo Bonito chain is great! Consider Cabo, Mazatlan or Puerta Vallarta!

rudyr

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great, gives me a lot of starting points to look into - ty!