• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Payment Option for MF/Taxes

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From an Email i just received:
Dear Alexa DeParis,

We hope you’ve had a chance to vacation with us this year. As summer comes to a close, we wanted to let you know that in the next few weeks you will be receiving your 2016 annual maintenance fees. As always, you can wait to receive your billing statement before making a payment in full on or before your due date.

However, as an additional option, if you prefer to make smaller payment installments over time using your U.S. bank account, you can now schedule these as far in advance as you like prior to your annual billing due date with no additional fee.

To set up a bank payment or schedule installments, please visit the Owner website.

If you have any questions, please call 800-729-8246.

Sincerely,
SVO Management, Inc.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, not exactly an option to pay MF over time, but if one was willing to Submit to Double Pain this year, one could pay 2016 MF by the due date and split 2017's MF over the 12 months of 2016.

I think I just might do that.

Edit: Naturally, in the true Starwood tradition, clicking on the link included in the email to set up the payments results in an error.

Last edited:

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, (WFlex-no more, sold)
So it only splits payments coming out of a bank account? I'd hate to give up all the double points from paying w/my MF w/my *wood Amex. Too bad they don't do that w/the Amex card too, instead of just a bank account.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So it only splits payments coming out of a bank account? I'd hate to give up all the double points from paying w/my MF w/my *wood Amex. Too bad they don't do that w/the Amex card too, instead of just a bank account.

Probably a purpose move - saves them merchant fees and Starpoints...

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could always do this.
I prepaid many 2016 MF from an unusually large tax refund. Not as if I missed any interest payment on it and one less January Bill.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
The December/January all-at-one time maintenance fee pain is what stops DH and helps curb me from buying more timeshares :D

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like to pay Starwood ones early, in April or May so that the MFs get spread out, with any adjustments needed at year end. Marriott does not offer option to pay ahead so I am stuck with those at year end.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably a purpose move - saves them merchant fees and Starpoints...

I see the saving in merchant fees, not the Starpoints? Those come from Amex..:shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I see the saving in merchant fees, not the Starpoints? Those come from Amex..:shrug:

You get double points for MF payments, so I'm guessing there is some kind of arrangement there, but who knows.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
double points... as our MFs are embarrassingly huge - nice to get 2x points via SPG AMEX - good for a couple nites at Westin Verasa (napa)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get double points for MF payments, so I'm guessing there is some kind of arrangement there, but who knows.

I know about double points. The first set of points are bought by Amex from Starwood. The "double" or bonus points should also be bought the same way and is a benefit specific to the Amex Starwood for Starwood purchases. That's how rewards CCs work. Perhaps there is a discount for Amex (base points) and the discount is deeper for the double points.

Either way, the bonus is negligible when you factor the cost of the MF. But, after all, it is a bonus given to Starwood Amex CC users. Hopefully Starwood did not force anyone into paying outrageous MF.:hysterical:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Someone pays for the points, and if you are required to pay with a bank transfer to use this payment method, there are no points, or merchant fees.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, that would be Amex paying for the points not Starwood.

I was talking about paying MF with the Amex Starwood CC, so you get the points. I apologize if I was not clear.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
From an Email i just received:
Dear Alexa DeParis,

We hope you’ve had a chance to vacation with us this year. As summer comes to a close, we wanted to let you know that in the next few weeks you will be receiving your 2016 annual maintenance fees. As always, you can wait to receive your billing statement before making a payment in full on or before your due date.

However, as an additional option, if you prefer to make smaller payment installments over time using your U.S. bank account, you can now schedule these as far in advance as you like prior to your annual billing due date with no additional fee.

To set up a bank payment or schedule installments, please visit the Owner website.

If you have any questions, please call 800-729-8246.

Sincerely,
SVO Management, Inc.

Thanks for letting me know, I just scheduled a payment….

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, that would be Amex paying for the points not Starwood.

I was talking about paying MF with the Amex Starwood CC, so you get the points. I apologize if I was not clear.
If you send / they take cash from your account they get ~100% of the cash less say 25c in fees.

If you send / take from a credit card they will get ~97% starwood likely gets nearer 98. Smaller merchants 96. The card issuer and the card logo company get the balance. It's that balance that buys the points.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
double points... as our MFs are embarrassingly huge - nice to get 2x points via SPG AMEX - good for a couple nites at Westin Verasa (napa)

Proof that it's not the size of the MF that matters -- it's how you use it. :ignore:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you just go to MSC every month yourself and pay 1/12th of your estimated MF via credit card?

Yes, you have to remember to do it every month (if you forget, no problem, just pay it when you , it's not like there will be some late payment fee since it's all in advance), but you'll get your points and the MFs will be mostly paid when the annual bill arrives...

Set a reminder in whatever calendar you use!

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pay monthly by CC

Why wouldn't you just go to MSC every month yourself and pay 1/12th of your estimated MF via credit card?

Yes, you have to remember to do it every month (if you forget, no problem, just pay it when you , it's not like there will be some late payment fee since it's all in advance), but you'll get your points and the MFs will be mostly paid when the annual bill arrives...

Set a reminder in whatever calendar you use!

Yes. I've been doing this for years. It helps me out because I don't have to come up with big $$$ at the holiday time.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Someone pays for the points, and if you are required to pay with a bank transfer to use this payment method, there are no points, or merchant fees.

We pay for part of the SPG points with the (now) $95 annual fee. Amex would pay for the rest of it. I know that on hotel and airline CCRDS the bank largely foots that bill - a cost of doing business and enticement to do business (and retain) with that company. That's why they have retention departments and are able to offer points to get you to stay.