• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie - Wyndham and RCI/DVC exchange question

nikkiwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I previously owned DVC for about a decade and I am very familiar with their point system. I have been considering buying Wyndham for about a year. I like their portfolio of resorts. I also like that they utilize RCI for exchanging and a bonus perk for me as a Disney lover was seeing the ability to exchange into DVC occasionally.

I want to be 100% clear though on what my options are with a Wyndham contract via resale, and I've tried searching for specific answers and can't find what I'm looking for. Bear with me.

If I buy a Wyndham points contract via resale, I am able to use RCI to exchange should I not want to vacation in the Wyndham resorts. I read via this board that the Wyndham resale contracts only come with WEEKS exchanges (which tend to not exchange well into DVC?) and not POINTS (which exchange better) unless you have the Plus program purchased for $2495. Am I correct so far?

I have never used RCI so I do not understand the depositing and strategies and all of that. I'm no dummy, I did DVC long enough to know it would become second nature after awhile with RCI, so please understand it's just new to me and I will get it.

Can someone please walk me through the specifics of if I were to buy a Wyndham resale contract - let's say 203k points or so - what are the things I CAN do and CANNOT do with these in regards to Disney exchanges - both browsing, booking and the like. Would I have to buy an RCI points contract or the Plus for $2495 in order to effectively book Disney or is there something I am missing.

We would definitely use the points at Wyndham properties such as Glacier Canyon, Bonnet Creek, Ocean Blvd so no I am not buying the contract to exchange. But it is a pretty vital question for my family as we are a party of 6 and traveling to Disney requires a 2 Bedroom unit for us - I need to know exactly what my options are for Disney due to the fact that we love it and our party size doesn't warrant typical "standard room" travel there.

Thank you for helping. I usually am a lurker and hate to bother people with these kinds of long questions. :rolleyes:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI weeks exchanges very well for DVC ... can ONLY set up ongoing search in RCI Weeks (not points).

Correct on Plus Partners (PP) --- IMHO, not worth $2495.

203K is a good number of 1st time buying for a family of 6.

Exchanging in DVC for a 2/2 ... that is the HARDEST part of YOUR plan. 2/2 do NOT appear that often ... ON GOING SEARCHES is the best way (and thur RCI Weeks ... no ongoing searches in RCI Points).

Yep, 6 no longer fits into a DVC 1bdr ... :(

nikkiwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. I think what I had seen - and it's possible it was dated - was from an availability standpoint, the RCI weeks had less than RCI points. Is that at all accurate?

I realize the 2BR is a tough one. To be honest, having done DVC as long as I did, I can honestly say if I had to do 2 1BR it's still a deal IMO. My family of six just spent about 5k to accomodate a room that slept six at the WL. Granted, we did have club access ;)

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think there is any evidence that Points DVC inventory is larger than Weeks DVC inventory. If anything, I believe there is some evidence that it goes the other way.

What's more, the Points inventory requires you to be lucky---you cannot place an ongoing search against Points, and DVC deposits "of value' to Points do not last very long at all. So, you need to be looking at just the right moment to get lucky, or you need to check constantly. So, even if there was a large chunk of DVC inventory going to Points, it doesn't help you unless you have nothing better to do but click on the web site all day.

Provided you are reasonably flexible about both dates and resort choice, a 2BR needn't be limiting.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would certainly focus much more on which Wyndham resorts you are likely to visit -- and when -- than on DVC. If you will need reservations at some resorts during peak periods, that need will be an important factor in where you purchase...just as it can be with DVC.

Additionally, I'd look at the points requirements for your primary Wyndham targets. Depending on resort and location, 203K points may -- or may NOT -- get you a 2BR for a full week. At many newer Wyndham resorts, including Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 203K points will NOT be enough during Prime season.

Regarding DVC...I agree with Brian; I think RCI Weeks works fine. The ability to do an ongoing search in Weeks is huge when trying to get into DVC. I see posts on the Sightings board from people who exchange into DVC several times a year -- mostly using Weeks.

Two bedroom DVC will be more difficult than one bedroom, but not impossible. We had no difficulty getting an OKW 2 BR last December. We actually turned down several OGS search matches before accepting. (We specifically wanted OKW and had listed only OKW on our OGS.)

However, your best chances for a 2BR are going to be the larger DVC resorts: SSR, OKW, BWV, BLT, AKV. Don't expect to get a 2BR at BCV, VWL, or VGF. You might...but don't count on it.

nikkiwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is a teacher so honestly sometimes our dates would be limiting. He has strict policies for missing work and is also a football coach. I am fully aware this may mean we simply don't get a match, and that's ok. The times we would it would be a huge savings.

Jim - I agree about the requirements. I am looking at between 203 and 300k or so. My favorite DVC resort is actually BWV so that would be just fine by me. We don't like staying in the villas at Wilderness - I like to be in the main lodge. I like the rest of the DVC resorts just fine other than SSR - it's just not my thing.

One thing I'm curious about also - how important do you deem the Wyndham resort you own at? We wouldn't normally plan trips a year in advance, so I'm curious if it matters.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is a teacher so honestly sometimes our dates would be limiting. ....One thing I'm curious about also - how important do you deem the Wyndham resort you own at? We wouldn't normally plan trips a year in advance, so I'm curious if it matters.

MFs are based on the HOME RESORT -- some places just seem so much more expensive esp IF you never go there ... like Royal Vista. Except Royal Vista points contracts don't sell cheap because snowbirds LOVE that resort and absolutely need ARP to get their Winter Vacation weeks there. And that HOME Reservation period is needed for Myrtle Beach for the summer weeks.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We wouldn't normally plan trips a year in advance, so I'm curious if it matters.
I'm curious about this. Normally, timeshares are best for people who CAN plan in advance.

If you are looking to exchanging into DVC, you'd have to do OGS. With OGS, the earlier you have it setup, the higher your chances of getting an exchange.

When DO you plan your vacations? Timeshares and last minute reservations don't normally go hand-in-hand unless you are very flexible.

nikkiwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll clarify - Disney vacations always planned well in advance

Other vacations are planned 6-12 mo out but what I meant is - we would easily switch destinations if a resort wasn't available
My husband has traveled so little we really could be flexible on destination. He has a lot left to see

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I'm curious about also - how important do you deem the Wyndham resort you own at? We wouldn't normally plan trips a year in advance, so I'm curious if it matters.
For us, the main criteria for home resort was a resort with low MFs, and not located in a place which might get hit with a hurricane or other natural disaster that might raise MFs or cause special assessments.

However, there are some Wyndham resorts where you will need the ability to make reservations early. Wyndham's windows are a little longer than DVC's (13 months/10 months vs 11 months/7 months). Many places have availability only a few months out, but other places do not -- New Orleans for Mardi Gras, Daytona for Race Week, and many others. I have never stayed at either Glacier Canyon or Ocean Blvd, but I suspect early booking is very important at both, especially in the summer. Others here can give you the benefit of their actual experience. I think whether or not the ARP window is important will vary widely from one resort to another, and from one time of the year to another.

For a Wyndham RCI/DVC exchange, you have an ace in the hole. You can book Wyndham Bonnet Creek and set up an Ongoing Search on RCI for DVC. If you get a match you like, you just cancel WBC. If not, you stay at WBC. Either way, you're covered.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that for a DVC exchange you will be paying the $209 exchange fee plus the $95 Disney fee on top of the points required. It is still far cheaper to exchange into DVC via Wyndham than to actually pay Disney for the unit (and many times, even cheaper than actually owning DVC I might add) but I just thought the fees should be mentioned. Right now on RCI there are 7 1BRs available at SSR in April/May 2015 including one over Memorial Day weekend (high season) for 105,000 points:

105 * $5 (considered good MF rate per 1000 pts) + 209 + 95 = $829 or <120/nt

I'm assuming you've seen the RCI exchange points chart, but if not here it is
https://b2b.rci.com/post-wvr-en_US/...omo=AlertS0S0ENUSWVREXCAlertMicroSite05212014

Have you ever stayed at Bonnet Creek? You might even find you prefer it over resorts like OKW and SSR that aren't really any closer to the parks than BC, and BC has more amenities, nicer pools, etc.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that for a DVC exchange you will be paying the $209 exchange fee plus the $95 Disney fee on top of the points required.
Yes, but...
It is still far cheaper to exchange into DVC via Wyndham than to actually pay Disney for the unit (and many times, even cheaper than actually owning DVC I might add)
Even with the fees, exchanging is cheaper than owning the vast majority of the time.

Example: I'm going for Easter Week this year, exchanging into a 1BR at OKW. Even if you had BLT points (with the cheapest dues), that week costs $1430+ in Dues. The exchange costs 105K Wyndham points, plus the $209 and the $95. Your $/K ratio has to be higher than $10.75/K before owning is cheaper than renting. I can't think of a Wyndham ownership that comes even close to $10.75/K. Mine is just a shade under $4/K.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that for a DVC exchange you will be paying the $209 exchange fee plus the $95 Disney fee on top of the points required. It is still far cheaper to exchange into DVC via Wyndham than to actually pay Disney for the unit (and many times, even cheaper than actually owning DVC I might add) but I just thought the fees should be mentioned. Right now on RCI there are 7 1BRs available at SSR in April/May 2015 including one over Memorial Day weekend (high season) for 105,000 points:

105 * $5 (considered good MF rate per 1000 pts) + 209 + 95 = $829 or <120/nt

I'm assuming you've seen the RCI exchange points chart, but if not here it is
https://b2b.rci.com/post-wvr-en_US/...omo=AlertS0S0ENUSWVREXCAlertMicroSite05212014

Have you ever stayed at Bonnet Creek? You might even find you prefer it over resorts like OKW and SSR that aren't really any closer to the parks than BC, and BC has more amenities, nicer pools, etc.
This analysis is right on the money.

Our December trip last year (2BR, full week, with most of the nights in high season) cost us +/- $860, including our Wyndham points cost and MFs, the RCI exchange fee, and DVC's "because we can" $95 fee. If we had used our OKW points ($2 acquisition cost + $5 MFs X 232 points) the total would have been just over $1,600.

But, having said that, I go back to my first point above -- don't buy Wyndham for any other reason than using your points for Wyndham stays.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
But, having said that, I go back to my first point above -- don't buy Wyndham for any other reason than using your points for Wyndham stays.
I agree with this. The DVC exchange should just be looked at as a nice bonus perk.

DVC could switch from RCI to II and this could go away.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Not only could DVC switch from RCI, but RCI could change the way Wyndham points exchange, significantly increasing costs. Worse, DVC could institute a system-wide 1-in-N rule. There are lots of potential risks.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Agreed. Not only could DVC switch from RCI, but RCI could change the way Wyndham points exchange, significantly increasing costs. Worse, DVC could institute a system-wide 1-in-N rule. There are lots of potential risks.

Ditto what Brian says. I wouldn't buy Wyndham points based on mainly exchanging into DVC - too much can change.

I'd say if you want to mainly use Wyndham points within Wyndham, then maybe buy some points. Even then, you might want to consider renting from a mega Wyndham owner for Wyndham reservations and skip the hassle of even owning.

Before buying any timeshare, I always think about my exit strategy. How hard is it going to be to get rid of this ownership when I no longer want to travel or my habits change? That's something you want to consider before you pull the trigger on any timeshare.

nikkiwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
All great points.

Regarding cost, I can attest to how much more affordable it is to exchange into RCI for DVC as both a DVC owner, DVC renter, Disney cash reservations, etc. It just is.

We definitely aren't buying FOR the DVC exchange. With a family of six, the cost to even do Disney regularly for us is astronomical. Park passes for our crew run around $2200 and Dining Plan is about the same. That doesn't count travel costs, souvenirs, dog boarding, etc. So, understand while I was a DVC owner and I love Disney, and my initial question was regarding this, it is in no way the reason I would buy Wyndham. I was with DVC when it was II exchanges, so I remember how quickly tables can turn ;)

The timeshare situation for me has to do with managing costs (we always require a 2BR or larger and that gets expensive no matter where or when you go) and maintaining some control also.

Our family would likely take advantage of a weekend when available at Glacier Canyon (we're 2-3 hrs away), would love Bonnet Creek anytime (we love Florida), Branson, any and all beach resorts (would love one trip to be on Ocean Blvd, but I understand that's difficult), and the other resorts would love to try out as time passes. We can be pretty flexible with where since when is more of an issue for our family.

Last edited:

yoboy pres

Reaction score
If you have a RCI points account and pay the fee for platinum ($59) you can do ongoing searches for no fee.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeshare situation for me has to do with managing costs (we always require a 2BR or larger and that gets expensive no matter where or when you go) and maintaining some control also.

Our family would likely take advantage of a weekend when available at Glacier Canyon (we're 2-3 hrs away), would love Bonnet Creek anytime (we love Florida), Branson, any and all beach resorts (would love one trip to be on Ocean Blvd, but I understand that's difficult), and the other resorts would love to try out as time passes. We can be pretty flexible with where since when is more of an issue for our family.
You sound exactly like me! :) Family of 6, ARP at GC a must since we visit every year. I've had my Wyndham for a year (2013 purchase) and I've done all in your list: Bonnet Creek, Glacier Canyon (I choose Memorial day weekend because it's really cheap and could be warm already), Ocean Boulevard (this summer) and Branson (this Thanksgiving) :)

Ocean Boulevard is the easiest of all Myrtle Beach properties as it's the biggest and also most expensive (in terms of points). I didn't have problems getting OB at 10 months, the other MB properties are a problem. Definitely need ARP at GC unless you are ok with doing weekends. Bonnet Creek is easy at 10 months as well. Branson is also ok at 10 months.

I recommend you go with CWA because of the GC ARP.

nikkiwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question - I see a DVC unit thru RCI that I want. If I reserve it, but cannot go - what is the current cancellation policy for these units? Do I lose all/some of the points?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might lose points depending on how close to check-in you cancel---you will get the schedule when you confirm. You can avoid that by paying for cancel protection.