• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More Crappy customer service from Starwood Reservations

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It's really very simple: good customer service people want to say "yes, sure" but sometimes can't. They will actually try to say yes and be helpful.

Bad customer service people want to say "no" and won't even try.

It's part just personality but it's also frequently influenced by the customer service culture of an organization. Management is kind and helpful or management is not.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's really very simple: good customer service people want to say "yes, sure" but sometimes can't. They will actually try to say yes and be helpful.

Bad customer service people want to say "no" and won't even try.

It's part just personality but it's also frequently influenced by the customer service culture of an organization. Management is kind and helpful or management is not.
Just my opinion.

This doesn't have anything to do with saying yes, or no - I'm just looking for competent service:

-the ability to process a reservation accurately

-the ability to answer questions about a reservation accurately

That's all

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
I agree! There are too many times when I call up and know more than the rep. And I find there is also a lot of inconsistency between reps, with some being able to request certain things, or reps giving different information etc. Typically elite services is very good, but when I called this past week they were not friendly, and they did not ask any questions about requests or special events. They seemed pretty eager to get off the phone with me!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's great when I have to educate the Starwood guide about the rules of reserving our deeded weeks. We only own SBP and one SDO. We own lots of SBP and are pretty familiar with the process of reserving.

There are some great people at Starwood, don't get me wrong. Pamela and Paula are excellent. A few are mediocre, and when one or two particular people answer the phone, I feel like I should just hang up and call back in a few minutes.

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK - so I just called back and tried to confirm for the renter, and the Rep. could not verify the view - even though it's on the first page of the confirmation.

I said, "The confirmations says it's Ocean Front."

Her response - "Well it might not be, it depends on when the reservation was made"

REALLY??? Then why does the confirmation say OCEAN FRONT????

:doh::doh::doh:

If the confirmations says OCEAN FRONT why would you want verbal confirmation from an incompetent person?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As I explained above, my renter was trying confirm her reservation and could not get a straight answer from reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLC

Reaction score
I called Starwood yesterday to inquire about internet speed at St. John and was told that they didn't have internet. I called the resort directly and was told that they did in fact have internet and it was available at various speeds. It took and extra 15 minutes out of my day.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If the confirmations says OCEAN FRONT why would you want verbal confirmation from an incompetent person?

People who rent tend to be skittish about renting from strangers. They like to be able to call and verify things directly from the source. It makes the person renting out their unit look untrustworthy, and possibly shady, when Starwood reps say things that contradict what we know to be true.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exactly...

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Lisa, that is very true.

I think it's odd for Starwood to not want to cooperate with anyone trying to verify a reservation. How likely is that person going to buy while at the resort, knowing how difficult management can be? Can you imagine anyone buying after getting the runaround from Starwood? I cannot.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guest that had to call 3 times yesterday before anyone could confirm her reservation. She said she made a complaint about their poor customer service.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
This doesn't have anything to do with saying yes, or no - I'm just looking for competent service:

-the ability to process a reservation accurately

-the ability to answer questions about a reservation accurately

That's all

It does, actually. For example, "can you please process this reservation accurately?"
"Sure, I'm happy to help.
Or
"No, I'll pretend to try but I don't care enough to learn how to do it right."

And
"I have a question about my reservation, can you answer it?"
"Sure, I'll try my best and if I'm unsure I'll ask my supervisor for help. I'm not afraid to say 'I don't know, let me find out' because I want to be helpful"
Vs
"No, I am not interested in actually helping you. I can't be bothered to learn how to do my job well."

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VegasBella, what point are you trying to make? I don't understand your post.

When you rent a specific unit type and view, the guide needs to confirm that unit type or view to the person who is renting the week from the owner; otherwise, you look like you (the owner) don't know what you are renting. Or you look like a scammer, as LisaRex so aptly said.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I could be helpful and answer the questions in this thread, but I have another call with higher priority so I'm going to go now. ;)

Sent from my iPad

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is new then. Because I was told in the past when I tried to reserve a specific week, that if I owned OF, I could only book OF. I couldn't downgrade my view, even I wanted to.

I would assume the same -- if the units in your view category are all gone during your home resort period for the week you're trying to reserve, then you're out of luck. Try another week...

If SVN lets you book in to another view category, you're cutting in to another owner's inventory pool. :annoyed: