• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Last Minute - Berkshires or Smuggler's Notch?

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We are considering a last min getaway to the Wyndham in Newport RI for next week and thought we would extend with a cheapie RCI extra vacation.

Interested in either Berkshire MA resort or Smuggler's Notch. We are interested in beautiful natural outdoor sights and some easy to mod hiking. Any thoughts on which area would be the best choice?

Thanks for any comments.

Joyce

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are considering a last min getaway to the Wyndham in Newport RI for next week and thought we would extend with a cheapie RCI extra vacation.

Interested in either Berkshire MA resort or Smuggler's Notch. We are interested in beautiful natural outdoor sights and some easy to mod hiking. Any thoughts on which area would be the best choice?

Thanks for any comments.

Joyce

Own at Smuggs and been to the Berkshires (Vacation Village) and both are great for what you want, but I think it might be more convenient for you to travel to the Berkshires from Rhode Island. It's certainly closer. Vermont is nothing but hills- definitely ain't flat!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Own at Smuggs and been to the Berkshires (Vacation Village) and both are great for what you want, but I think it might be more convenient for you to travel to the Berkshires from Rhode Island. It's certainly closer. Vermont is all steep hills and mountains almost everywhere- definitely ain't flat!

We are going up to Vermont this week to the Champlain Islands through a Home Away rental and staying right on the Lake for a change. We, of course, are partial to Vermont. I guess it just depends how long you intend on extending your vacation. There is a great, flat bike/walking path right along the water in Burlington with scenic views of the Adirondacks and plenty to do in Burlington.

Last edited:

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Thank you both for the replies. Yes, the Berkshires are closer, but drive to Smugglers is only about 4-5 hrs, so doable. I too thought that Lake Champlain would be a nice place to spend some time.

BTW, the RCI data states a resort fee at Smugglers. How much do I have to pay daily and do they also charge for internet? I know you both are owners, but it is very irritating for exchangers to have to pay these daily "resort fee" - which is becoming very common.

There is also another cheapie RCI rental week at Killington ( which has no resort fee). We have skied there a long time ago - but is there much nice hiking or sights to see in the area?

Thanks again for any info.

Joyce

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you both for the replies. Yes, the Berkshires are closer, but drive to Smugglers is only about 4-5 hrs, so doable. I too thought that Lake Champlain would be a nice place to spend some time.

BTW, the RCI data states a resort fee at Smugglers. How much do I have to pay daily and do they also charge for internet? I know you both are owners, but it is very irritating for exchangers to have to pay these daily "resort fee" - which is becoming very common.

There is also another cheapie RCI rental week at Killington ( which has no resort fee). We have skied there a long time ago - but is there much nice hiking or sights to see in the area?

Thanks again for any info.

Joyce

It's just me that replied- I made both of the posts above.

FYI-Smuggs is a good 1.5 hours from Burlington and Lake Champlain. Definitely doable for one or 2 day trips if you don't mind more driving yet again. I would not pay a resort fee (not sure what it is) for activities if that is what you are talking about, unless you have children with you- that is another story. Especially if you are staying in the Sycamores or Tamaracks or Aspens- they have their own heated pools and gyms...Really depends which building you are staying in and if you are just a couple or have kids and intend on staying at the resort the whole time. If you just need a place to crash and are going to be out sightseeing, I wouldn't pay a fee-just the rental.

Smuggs charges for the internet- I think around $30 for a full week. (fee is smaller for owners)

Haven't been to Killington in a long time, but I think it would be fine for an inexpensive stay. Plenty to see and do around the area and you can drive right up route 7 to Middlebury, Shelbourne and Burlington and the Lake. In order to see anything in a rural state like Vermont, you have to do some driving.

In Killington area there is the Vermont Marble Exhibit and the New England Maple Museum and the Norman Rockwell Museum and Chaffee Art Center and Wilson Castle and the Hubbardton Battlefield. Biking and hiking good at Pine Hill Park. The Appalachian Trail and the Long Trail can be accessed from Rte 4 in Killington. Plenty of other trails including the Deep Leaf Trail which is a short hike, but steep. (see the Killington Hiking center)There is Bomoseen State Park with a nice lake and Lake St. Catherine (winery near there- Whaleback Vineyard) and some reservoirs.

Plenty to do!

Are you going in the summer?

Last edited:

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
I think Vermont is the best choice. My H and I stayed at timeshare at the base of Okemo last fall. There was so much to do in all of the surrounding small towns and the hiking was nice also. Varied hiking throughout the state.:)