• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

credit worthiness

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seek and ye shall find...

to check local deed registries....

You seem to have promptly shifted focus from Georgia to Cape Cod :confused: (your prerogative, of course).

FYI, virtually all of Cape Cod is in Barnstable County, Massachusetts. Using Google (or any other search engine) find "Barnstable County, Massachusetts" and you will eventually be led by (virtual) hand to their Registry of Deeds, whose records are indeed retrievable online.

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great that you decided to buy a timeshare. Before doing so, I spent a couple of years thinking about it (although I could afford it) and rented/visited a couple of them before jumping in.

Frankly, buy something that has a good relation between price/exchange power with II or any other trading system. I personally bought Marriott because of the different possibilities, the strong brand name and its long time/experience in the business.

Note that in today's economy, you will have enough with 5000-6000 dollars to buy something nice (check on eBay and ask on the forum for advice). Do not rush...

straydog1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great that you decided to buy a timeshare. Before doing so, I spent a couple of years thinking about it (although I could afford it) and rented/visited a couple of them before jumping in.

Frankly, buy something that has a good relation between price/exchange power with II or any other trading system. I personally bought Marriott because of the different possibilities, the strong brand name and its long time/experience in the business.

Note that in today's economy, you will have enough with 5000-6000 dollars to buy something nice (check on eBay and ask on the forum for advice). Do not rush...

Yeah, the exchange value is something I have to do a lot more research on. I still don't really understand how that works. I would think that a beach side week at a Cape Cod resort in between July and September would exchange well, as a Tybee Island would (I think) between June and August.

I guess I need to visit the websites of these "exhange companies" and start poking around. Is there a way to gauge the exchange value of a time share BEFORE purchasing it?

e.bram

Reaction score
Summer beach front weeks at Cape Cod will trade out well, but with so few , chances of trading in are slim. I would guess about half dozen small TSes(ave 40 units)

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not know the resort that you are talking about. Exchange companies such as Interval International (called II) issue grids to provide a reference (called TDI points). For instance, platinum weeks at Marriott Mountainside (ski resorts) are often around 130-150 and, if it is a 2BR, it provides a higher "reference index". This helps to provide an idea copmaring with other resorts/weeks/size of the unit, but nothing is garanteed.

I personnally went Marriott because of the different options/places, the volume in the exchange/transaction and my family loves travelling. Now, yours is surely totally different and if you will be using Cape Cod resort (at least once every other year), then you are good. Just make sure that it will trade well, buy it at the right resale price and make sure that you are confortable with the yearly maintenance fees.

Maybe before buying, rent one week for next summer and try it out!