• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Inn at the Opera: how much money is Wyndham making

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Inn at the Opera, which was run by Shell Vacations, but now bought by Wyndham. My Inn at the Opera maintenance fee is the highest of the 6 weeks I own, but I could justify it because there was daily housekeeping. Well, guess what, no daily housekeeping now that Wyndham has taken over. So good job Wyndham: you keep the high maintenance fees but cut out the benefits.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Inn at the Opera, which was run by Shell Vacations, but now bought by Wyndham. My Inn at the Opera maintenance fee is the highest of the 6 weeks I own, but I could justify it because there was daily housekeeping. Well, guess what, no daily housekeeping now that Wyndham has taken over. So good job Wyndham: you keep the high maintenance fees but cut out the benefits.

Sounds like good management to me, cutting costs to keep maintenance fees in line... In any case your manager doesnt get the money saved by cutting a benefit. at least not directly

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
The point is that Wyndham keeps the money, in their pocket. I've requested to see their accounting as to where that money went (that had previously gone for housekeeping expenses), but I've already gotten the runaround in response. I would estimate that at least $100 out of my $1100 maintenance fee went to housekeeping expenses. I asked about deeding back my unit (free and clear title) -- was told to go to website otterrock.org. Gosh, there's no such website.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The point is that Wyndham keeps the money, in their pocket. I've requested to see their accounting as to where that money went (that had previously gone for housekeeping expenses), but I've already gotten the runaround in response. I would estimate that at least $100 out of my $1100 maintenance fee went to housekeeping expenses. I asked about deeding back my unit (free and clear title) -- was told to go to website otterrock.org. Gosh, there's no such website.

My point is that Wyndham doesnt keep the money. Or if they are stealing from your HOA they do a good enough job at hiding it that you will never be able to catch them.

You should have a budget before and after the change... just compare the numbers.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it is safe to say that none of the Shell properties will have daily housekeeping now. We can for sure say it about Inn at the Opera, Vino Bello and Peacock Suites based on Tugger experiences.

FWIW, I don't think I ever posted that I didn't get daily housekeeping at Peacock Suites. I wouldn't have noticed (not used to daily housekeeping anywhere besides FSA), but the info in my room said that I would get it. I didn't and the front desk said that I wouldn't.

ETA: Shell went out of business for a reason. However, if I bought a week (like the OP) and specifically wanted the daily housekeeping, I'd be dumping my TS. If you don't need daily housekeeping, just keep in mind that Shell went down for a reason and Wyndham is getting bigger every day for a reason.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
presley;1591404<snip>ETA: Shell went out of business for a reason. However said:
Assumptions TOTALLY on your part. :annoyed:

Shell was a system long on Western USA resort locations - esp in some major cities. Small in number of resorts, it had very nice places and warrented trades into Marriotts, Starwoods, Hyatts in the II world of quality demand screening.

Wyndham is getting bigger by constantly increasing fees - such as its $99-299 fees which are CORPORATE FEEs and NOT related to its HOA costs. The HOA cost are increasing EVERY YEAR due to its 5 year refurnishment SCHEDULE using the standard Wyndham contractor and suppliers with a fixed PERCENTAGE rate contract. Wyndham increased it computer/phone service fees from $.54 to $.57 per 1,000 points owned (minimum form $109 to 124 per member number), ETC, ETC ,ETC --- yet the updated online reservation system (named Voyager here and elsewhere) should really be named VIKING for it funeral ships sent off in a blaze of glory ... is it 3 or now 4 years, this particular illusion has had its own life?

Increasing fees for the bottom line while providing poorer and more outdated services does NOT make a good product. Wyndham corporate management comes from the Sales departments -- not the resort and hospitality field, but from the smoke and mirrors departments.

Last edited: