• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Shadow Ridge or Canyon Villas or Westin Mission Hills

swainj

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We (family of 4 with 2 under age 10) are looking to vacation in early June to Palm Springs or Phoenix. We've narrowed it down to Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Canyon Villas, or Westin Mission Hills. Any advice on the resort, pools, etc. would be appreciated.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am familiar with Shadow Ridge and Canyon Villas. I would certainly recommend both. One thing in favor of Canyon Villas is that they have pool privileges at the adjacent JW Marriott hotel, which has a lazy river pool.

sjacobs11

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Shadow Ridge and have stayed at the other two. For a spectacular pool area, go with Phoenix for the JW pool. Our kids (ages 3 & 5) loved the Lazy River and kids club at the main hotel.

If you're set on SoCal, the Westin is definitely more swanky than Shadow Ridge, but that being said, it doesn't have the same level of kids programs.

Wherever you pick ... Enjoy!

ZCar

Reaction score
Swainj,
For So. CA, you mentioned Shadow Ridge and Westin Mission Hills ... but not Marriott's Desert Springs Vills I & II. Any specific reason? Both very nice resorts in Palm Desert and next to the JW Marriott Hotel.
DS I Villas are larger.
(Shadow Ridge is just a couple miles away).
Gonna be hot in June!

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
I give the nod to Canyon Villas because of the lazy river feature at the JW.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I wouldn't want to go to any resort in PS/PD or Phoenix at that time of year, but if I had to my selection would be the Westin which is at a much higher level than Marriott IMO...with lockoffs that are much more complete than at Marriott's. I've seen the two Marriotts in SP area (stayed at DS1 and liked it) but the Westin TS is real nice and associated to a hotel.

I own at Canyon Villas and enjoy the association with the JW facilities too, but there is a great Westin villas/hotel there too you might consider.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31350-d302329-Reviews-Westin_Kierland_Villas-Scottsdale_Arizona.html

Brian

swainj said:
We (family of 4 with 2 under age 10) are looking to vacation in early June to Palm Springs or Phoenix. We've narrowed it down to Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Canyon Villas, or Westin Mission Hills. Any advice on the resort, pools, etc. would be appreciated.

swainj

TUG Member
Reaction score
ZCar said:
Swainj,
For So. CA, you mentioned Shadow Ridge and Westin Mission Hills ... but not Marriott's Desert Springs Vills I & II. Any specific reason? Both very nice resorts in Palm Desert and next to the JW Marriott Hotel.
DS I Villas are larger.
(Shadow Ridge is just a couple miles away).
Gonna be hot in June!

We had read mixed reviews on both DSI & DSII. I could not determine which one was the best villa and Shadow Ridge seemed to be newer and not as big a complex. I welcome any advice you could provide.

ZCar

Reaction score
swainj,
I guess "mixed revues" are common for many resorts. We've had very nice Villas while others complain.
This is for Desert Springs Villas II: From a recent newsletter/Board Report/Financials, the first 136 Villas were refurbished this summer. Next summer, we will refurbish another 128 Villas. The last 138 Villas, including Jasmine Court will be done in 2009. Of course, getting one of the refurbished units would be the big question. (1 in 3?). Personally, stay away from Jasmine Court. While part of DSII, it is separate.

The JW Hotel is well within walking distance, however a shuttle service is provided too. Charges can be made to your Villa.
Most views are typically of some part of a golf course. All views are considered 'Excellent', but some are nicer than others. Desert Springs, and probably most resorts in the area seem to have on-going housekeeping problems due to the help situation. DSI & II have a new "wordless" training video implemented in the Housekeeping Department.
I have no info on DS I, as we don't own there. They are effectively one resort area though, with same check-in desk.

I really think you won't go wrong with whatever your choice may be. Most everything is close-by, from a WalMart & Costco to high end shopping on El Paseo. Restaurants abound.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
ZCar said:
I really think you won't go wrong with whatever your choice may be. Most everything is close-by, from a WalMart & Costco to high end shopping on El Paseo. Restaurants abound.

I'll second what ZCar said above. I've stayed at all three Palm Desert Marriotts, as well as Westin Mission Hills and Westin Kierland. They're all very nice, and I would be happy to stay at any of them.

Glorian