• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sandos Playacar Junior Suite same as a 1 bdrm?

Epocjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

We just booked our first Mexico trip thru RCI at Sandos Playacar. Lot's of good reviews by TUG members, TY all very much.

Front desk just confirmed a handicap accessible Junior Suite for us in March. Can anyone say for sure thata junior suite isplayacar's version of a 1 bedroom suite? I mean a suite that has a living/sitting room with a separate, walled-off room and door.

We are 2 adults and 2 young kids. 1 bdrm apt-style room is what we are expecting. Any Playacar regulars have the scoop?

Thanks

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

We just booked our first Mexico trip thru RCI at Sandos Playacar. Lot's of good reviews by TUG members, TY all very much.

Front desk just confirmed a handicap accessible Junior Suite for us in March. Can anyone say for sure thata junior suite isplayacar's version of a 1 bedroom suite? I mean a suite that has a living/sitting room with a separate, walled-off room and door.

We are 2 adults and 2 young kids. 1 bdrm apt-style room is what we are expecting. Any Playacar regulars have the scoop?

Thanks

Hi, I am a Sandos owner and a junior suite is not the same as a 1 bedroom.

Junior suites have a king size bed or 2 double beds. There is not a separate walled off room and door. The one bedrooms do and they are also 2 bathrooms. There are 2 kinds of 1 bedroom- oceanfront and haciendas.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you book a hotel or 1 bedroom unit with RCI?

Epocjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
TY, Seaport. I'm definitely giving RCI a call today. We booked a 1 bedroom. It said privacy for 4. I took that to mean there was a separate room where each could have privacy if needed.

The reservation set me back 3400 pts. I'll offer more for the 1 bdrm if that's what it takes.

Seaport, any tips on what AI package to get if I want to have access to the familiar vodkas and scotch we find in just about any restaurant stateside?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
TY, Seaport. I'm definitely giving RCI a call today. We booked a 1 bedroom. It said privacy for 4. I took that to mean there was a separate room where each could have privacy if needed.

The reservation set me back 3400 pts. I'll offer more for the 1 bdrm if that's what it takes.

Seaport, any tips on what AI package to get if I want to have access to the familiar vodkas and scotch we find in just about any restaurant stateside?

3400 HGVC points? If it's not too late, I would suggest you try to cancel that exchange and get your exchange fee back. With the maintenance on 3400 points + exchange fee + AI fees, you are overpaying. You can rent the room from an owner for not much more than the RCI exchange fee for a junior suite and you get owner benefits.

I'm not sure what you mean by AI package. AI is mandatory for each day and each person, there aren't different tiers of AI. The only difference is you get more benefits by booking through an owner since you get an owner band which gives you access to owner only areas, unlimited ala cartes, 24 room service, and discounts on tours/spas

Epocjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seaport,

with regard to my question about AI packages, good to know that they are not broken into tiers. I do like the idea of getting a Black band- unlimited ala-carte is nice but, i'm more interested in the booze. Will the non-member AI fees include top shelf scotch and vodka like Balvenie and Oban and vodkas like Belvedere and Titos. I'm not much of a Tequila drinker- i'd hate to be stuck with AI fees that include nice, local Tequila but not the top shelf scotch and Vodka.

thanks.

Oh, as for the room, I've already emailed the desk and they are aware that I'm booked for a 1 bedroom and will fix my room assignment.

I did check SMTN.com and they have a guy renting his floating week in a 2 bedroom for $700 for week! is that real? man, why did I even buy into HGVC if that deal is out there?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If your goal is to stay in nice AI resorts, renting from premium members at those resorts are usually the best way. Exchanging a non AI for an AI is rarely your best bet and can often be beat even by travel agencies with air/hotel packages.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seaport,

with regard to my question about AI packages, good to know that they are not broken into tiers. I do like the idea of getting a Black band- unlimited ala-carte is nice but, i'm more interested in the booze. Will the non-member AI fees include top shelf scotch and vodka like Balvenie and Oban and vodkas like Belvedere and Titos. I'm not much of a Tequila drinker- i'd hate to be stuck with AI fees that include nice, local Tequila but not the top shelf scotch and Vodka.

thanks.

Oh, as for the room, I've already emailed the desk and they are aware that I'm booked for a 1 bedroom and will fix my room assignment.

I did check SMTN.com and they have a guy renting his floating week in a 2 bedroom for $700 for week! is that real? man, why did I even buy into HGVC if that deal is out there?

Sorry, I drink rarely so I don't know brands but there are a variety of liquor served, i.e. not just tequila. I do know that in the owner sections, better brands of liquor is served in talking to other owners but I have no clue on the brands.

Don't regret buying HGVC, HGVC is good for booking HGVC and other non-AI properties.