• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg, VA suggestions

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to Wyndham Kingsgate for my 1st time for last week of August.

Any suggestions?

I have a 16B, 14G, and 8B year old, and am also bringing the wife's parents (in the other side of a lockout)

Never been there, was hoping for some suggestions like:

If there was ONE thing you would do for:

- 8 year old it would be ______
- Teenagers it would be ______
- You would do again it would be _______

Looking at web there seems to be too much to do - hard to choose.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Craig

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We took out children there several times over the years when they were young (4,6 & 8yrs old the first time, teens the last time). Of course they loved going to Busch Gardens but they also enjoyed the historic area (more so when they were older). Our kids were (are) all interested in history, especially the British aspect, with having British grandparents.
Pre 9-11 we always made a trip to Norfolk to tour the naval base (& whatever ships were open for tours), but that has been cut now. On our last trip we packed a picnic lunch and spent the day at Virginia Beach, which was nice.

Have a great trip.

~Diane

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both kids and teens will like Busch Gardens a lot. Also Water Country USA.

I think that each group will like Jamestown also.

Colonial Williamsburg will either be a hit or miss depending on whether they are into history.

Teens may want to walk in around the College of William and Mary's campus. School will be in session. Pretty neat place.

It will be hot. Walking around Colonial Williamsburg at night is fun and cooler. You may want to do a Ghost Tour. Lots of fun and fairly well done IMO.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the kids are into history and might like a battlefield you could try the Yorktown Battlefield section of the Colonial National Historical Park.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Eat lunch or dinner at one of the taverns in Colonial Williamsburg. Our favorite is Christiana Campbell's for dinner, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

2boyzmom

Reaction score
We go every year the last week of August. It is great because southern state schools are already in session so the crowds are low at the parks. Buy a 7 day pass for Busch Gardens/Water Country. We go in the morning and return to resort for swimming in the afternoon. Check out "The Movie Tavern" one night. You can dine and watch movies. Alot of fun on a rainy/hot day too. Head over to the river at yorktown and take a scenic boatyard and dine on patio at Riverwalk Restaurant. Farmers Market Saturday morning in the town square is great for fresh peanuts, snacks, etc. Call Kingsgate and ask for a unit near the pool so kids dont have to cross the street. Have fun!! We are going to the Go_Cart place this year on Richmond Rd. Boys will love it!

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy a 7 day pass for Busch Gardens/Water Country.

Or buy Bounce passes to include Colonial Williamsburg. If you don't think the historical stuff is of enough interest to the kids to make the Bounce passes worthwhile, consider buying one Bounce pass for your youngest. When we were there last year the two-park passes did not include parking but having one Bounce pass covered parking at the two parks and more than paid for itself.

2boyzmom

Reaction score
Or buy Bounce passes to include Colonial Williamsburg. If you don't think the historical stuff is of enough interest to the kids to make the Bounce passes worthwhile, consider buying one Bounce pass for your youngest. When we were there last year the two-park passes did not include parking but having one Bounce pass covered parking at the two parks and more than paid for itself.

Smart idea! I didn't know parking was included with the bounce pass :)

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. :wave:

It is always better to get a real recommendation so I appreciate the advice.

Craig

mtforeman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids have always loved Water Country USA. However, we will not go if we can't get the express passes (front of the line pass?). It is worth the money to not spend hours in line at a water park.

We usually buy the basic quick queu (extra $20 per person at BG, less at WCUSA) for these trips. They are worth every penny IMHO.

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to Wyndham Kingsgate for my 1st time for last week of August.

Any suggestions?

I have a 16B, 14G, and 8B year old, and am also bringing the wife's parents (in the other side of a lockout)

Never been there, was hoping for some suggestions like:

If there was ONE thing you would do for:

- 8 year old it would be ______
- Teenagers it would be ______
- You would do again it would be _______

Looking at web there seems to be too much to do - hard to choose.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Craig

Do your kids enjoy biking? If so, try checking out the Virginia Capital Trail

http://www.virginia.org/Listings/OutdoorsAndSports/VirginiaCapitalTrail/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bikes-unlimited-williamsburg

Also, Jamestown Settlement is a nice mix of multimedia and interactive exhibits for all ages. And the Yorktown Victory Center is interesting and well done.
Our children did best when we paced the historical visits and had a day or a half day of "fun" in more kid oriented stuff like Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, mini-golf, etc.

And Williamsburg area has many great dining options to explore (refrain from the national chains like Carrabbas Italian Grill, Ruby Tuesday, etc) for family dinners or a night out together for fine dining. (Food for Thought to Le Yaca)

Unless you avoid sweets, and/or restrict the kids intake, don't miss the many fun places for treats all over the area, MAD About Chocolate, LaPatisserie, Handel's Ice Cream, Jamestown Pie Co. and more......have a great time!

pitterchi

Reaction score
I'll repeat much of the same but you can't go wrong with Busch Gardens/Water Country for children of any age.

Fun

Busch Gardens/Water Country
Virginia Beach is 45 minutes away (You can rent fishing gear at the pier)
Eco Discovery Park (Kayaking/Canoeing/Bike Rentals) I think they have Stand Up paddle Boards
Pirates Cove Mini Golf
Go-Karting (Slow)

Educational

Jamestown Settlement
Colonial Williamsburg
Virginia Living Museum Neat museum with different animals
Virginia Beach Aquarium

Shopping

Williamsburg Premium Outlets

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind driving about 70 miles, Kings Dominion theme park is off of I95 north of Richmond. Busch Gardens is better, though.

2boyzmom

Reaction score
If you don't mind driving about 70 miles, Kings Dominion theme park is off of I95 north of Richmond. Busch Gardens is better, though.

We have gone there when staying a week at Williamsburg. Another nice park!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luray Caverns is fantastic, although it's not that close to Williamsburg. You go on the beautiful Skyline Drive to get there.

mbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
One More Possibly Helpful Hint

When we were there, we alternated historical stuff with non-historical. Alternating days of this kept everyone happy and interested.