• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Day-tripped today to Hope Lake Lodge!

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI resort 8757:

Every autumn my husband and I do a "leaf peeping" drive along one of the Finger Lakes and go to a few wineries for tastings. This year we toured Cayuga Lake with a couple friends and continued an extra 20-30 minutes to preview Hope Lake Lodge. We have an exchange there in mid June 2015 in a "one bedroom sleeps six (max 8)" unit. I was hoping to find out which of the various suites we were booked in since there are several configurations.

We stopped at a few wineries and arrived at the lodge at about 2:00 and had lunch at the Acorn Grill. At this hour there were few people in the restaurant. The food was good. We had a pulled pork sandwich, elk burger, chicken parmesan, salads and sweet potato fries. All good, and my chicken parm could have fed two people!

After lunch I asked about our June reservation and one of the front desk staff took us to the exact unit we will be staying in (currently unoccupied). It was in great condition and had a corner fireplace, nice full kitchen, murphy bed in the living room as well as a fold out couch, and the bedroom had two queen beds. The living and bedroom areas are set up like a lock-off and each side has its own entry to the hallway and its own bath. The unit is called a "Split Rock suite." I have no idea how many different style units are deposited with RCI. Floor plans are accessible on the resort's website. From what we learned, most of the timeshare availability is from private owners who deposit weeks in RCI. Apparently the lodge has other units that they book through various travel sites. I have seen reviews on Trip Advisor mentioning Groupon deals.

All the RCI reviews are from 2011 and 2012, so I have a feeling there aren't a lot of exchanges here. I asked, but I really didn't get a straight answer on what percentage of usage was timeshare trades.

Aside from the small indoor waterpark (extra charge) and other affiliated activities for which there is also an extra charge (zip lines and mountain coaster etc.) there is a small town park next door with a little lake to canoe or kayak on, and I think the website said that entry fees to the park are waived for timeshare guests. The park doesn't look like a big deal, anyway, and there are larger parks if you don't mind driving 30-45 minutes that would be along Cayuga Lake and would have a public beach. There are a lot of nice parks for hiking within a reasonable day-trip drive, and tons of wineries, breweries, a cider mill and various places that make and sell cheese along Cayuga and Seneca Lakes. The area reminds me a bit of Massanutten in that the area immediately around the resort is very rural, and you have a bit of a drive to get to small towns for shopping, restaurants etc. I think the area offers so much that the drive wouldn't bother me, personally, but if someone expected to roll out of bed and be surrounded with lots to do within a five or ten minute drive, they'd be disappointed.

I'm looking forward to our stay in June. I'm wondering why all the RCI reviews are from 2011 and 2012. Maybe no one has traded in since then???

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there this past summer, but I haven't written a review. Beautiful place!

The desk clerks said they do very, very few exchanges. In fact Hope Lake Lodge dropped off the RCI website for a while--don't know if it's back again.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please consider adding to the Resort Reviews. Thank you PollyM for the thread.

I think most TUG Members find resort reviews by other Members to be a benefit of their membership. It is always disappointing to look at reviews for resorts and nothing has been updated for a couple of years or more. I watch for New York exchanges in RCI and this resort rarely comes up.

Both of you enjoyed different times of the year, with activities geared to those season. This thread is very helpful and I read it with interest. I have exchanged into this resort for a time that is less geared to activities I enjoy and a season that I'm not particularly fond of. But I thought, "let's change things up a bit and do something completely different."

My husband and I have an exchange for the first week of February. Prime ski season and this resort is right there at Greek Peak Mountain Resort. I don't do Winter, cold or skiing well. At the time, I was thinking a romantic Winter getaway to an area way north of where we would normally vacation during the coldest month of Winter. Because of the flights and driving to this beautiful Winter Wonderland, I'm rethinking this one real hard. It could be an awesome gift for my brother-in-law and his gal, who live near Albany.

We will be in Islamorada in the Florida Keys for a week mid-February. Now, that's what I'm talking about. :D

But a late, late Spring to early Fall in the Finger Lake Region would be better suited to the activities that we enjoy.

I look forward to reading your upcoming reviews. ;)

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there this past summer, but I haven't written a review. Beautiful place!

The desk clerks said they do very, very few exchanges. In fact Hope Lake Lodge dropped off the RCI website for a while--don't know if it's back again.

It appears in the directory at the moment, but I don't see any availability in the upcoming months. Please write a review in the review section. I would love to read your impressions and hear about any side trips you made in the area during your stay. I would post my comments as a review, but I'm not sure they "count" as an official review since we haven't actually stayed there yet. TripAdvisor reviews would probably be more detailed than mine. The desk clerk says the resort is considering selling more units. I have no idea how many are part of the "hotel inventory" and how many have been sold to owners.

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I have an exchange for the first week of February. Prime ski season and this resort is right there at Greek Peak Mountain Resort. I don't do Winter, cold or skiing well. At the time, I was thinking a romantic Winter getaway to an area way north of where we would normally vacation during the coldest month of Winter. Because of the flights and driving to this beautiful Winter Wonderland, I'm rethinking this one real hard. It could be an awesome gift for my brother-in-law and his gal, who live near Albany.

We will be in Islamorada in the Florida Keys for a week mid-February. Now, that's what I'm talking about. :D

If your relatives don't want the week, you could go snow tubing etc. and then go thaw out the following week in Florida! Yes, you would probably enjoy the warm weather season more, particularly if the roads were bad and you didn't feel like driving for sightseeing, but it could be a pleasant relaxing vacation nevertheless. Some of the wineries are open for tastings all year, and I'm sure you'd find other activities as well, but I suppose February makes the most sense if you like winter sports.

There aren't a lot of places in the northeast that are a day's drive for vacationers, so I hope Hope Lake Lodge continues to offer RCI some exchange inventory. Per the various hotel websites the rooms are very expensive unless you have a Groupon deal, and I think those are usually 3-4 day packages probably geared for long weekends.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think most TUG Members find resort reviews by other Members to be a benefit of their membership. It is always disappointing to look at reviews for resorts and nothing has been updated for a couple of years or more. I watch for New York exchanges in RCI and this resort rarely comes up.

Both of you enjoyed different times of the year, with activities geared to those season. This thread is very helpful and I read it with interest. I have exchanged into this resort for a time that is less geared to activities I enjoy and a season that I'm not particularly fond of. But I thought, "let's change things up a bit and do something completely different."

But a late, late Spring to early Fall in the Finger Lake Region would be better suited to the activities that we enjoy.

I look forward to reading your upcoming reviews. ;)

I have never been to this resort, but I can relate to your input about not being a winter person. About 2 years ago, we decided to rent a unit from another owner at our home resort in Vermont for the first week of January to see what it was like. We do not ski at all, but I do own a pair of snowshoes that I use a few times on our own property in the Hudson Valley NY.

Well, let me tell you we had a ball! First off, the outdoor heated pool is opened year round and I loved swimming while snowflakes came down! We went snowshoeing-one excursion we went up a ski lift and the resort offered a candle lit gourmet dinner in the cabin on top of the mountain and then we snowshoe'd all the way down! We went snowmobiling through Smugglers Notch at night with a guided group. We went dogsledding (a musher provided) nearby (this was my favorite!). And- we went on a horse- drawn sleigh in Stowe.

These were mainly things we had never done and glad we tried.

We purchased the appropriate clothing before our travels and honestly, we were mostly too hot wearing it! The worst part was just getting dressed with all those clothes!

Other times we hung out in the unit by the fireplace and also watched the skiers from the window and I believe we might have went to the movies one day. We visited some shops, etc. The week went very fast..

Perhaps there are similar activities you can do up there as well. I am sure if you research it you will find lots to do and might even enjoy it!:hi:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would gladly write a review, but I'm not a TUG member at the moment. Guests can't see reviews, and they can't post reviews.

Sullco2

Reaction score
The Finger Lakes Region of New York

This is a terrible place. Please do not go there. There's no reason for anyone else other than myself and my friends to spend time there.

Wink, wink, wink!

Stay away--it's my treasured spot.

Stay Away.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your relatives don't want the week, you could go snow tubing etc. and then go thaw out the following week in Florida! Yes, you would probably enjoy the warm weather season more, particularly if the roads were bad and you didn't feel like driving for sightseeing, but it could be a pleasant relaxing vacation nevertheless. Some of the wineries are open for tastings all year, and I'm sure you'd find other activities as well, but I suppose February makes the most sense if you like winter sports.

There aren't a lot of places in the northeast that are a day's drive for vacationers, so I hope Hope Lake Lodge continues to offer RCI some exchange inventory. Per the various hotel websites the rooms are very expensive unless you have a Groupon deal, and I think those are usually 3-4 day packages probably geared for long weekends.

Funny, this past weekend my husband mentioned that we need to go to Colorado some time. I said, yeah, but in the middle of Summer. No, in the winter. I mentioned to him that I have a week in January up in New York. I don't bother him with details like that until it is necessary. He said we should go. I reminded him that we would be leaving a couple of weeks later for Florida. He would definitely like to go up there, but he's not sure that it would be doable with the Florida trip so close behind.

I have never been to this resort, but I can relate to your input about not being a winter person. About 2 years ago, we decided to rent a unit from another owner at our home resort in Vermont for the first week of January to see what it was like. We do not ski at all, but I do own a pair of snowshoes that I use a few times on our own property in the Hudson Valley NY.

Well, let me tell you we had a ball! First off, the outdoor heated pool is opened year round and I loved swimming while snowflakes came down! We went snowshoeing-one excursion we went up a ski lift and the resort offered a candle lit gourmet dinner in the cabin on top of the mountain and then we snowshoe'd all the way down! We went snowmobiling through Smugglers Notch at night with a guided group. We went dogsledding (a musher provided) nearby (this was my favorite!). And- we went on a horse- drawn sleigh in Stowe.

These were mainly things we had never done and glad we tried.

We purchased the appropriate clothing before our travels and honestly, we were mostly too hot wearing it! The worst part was just getting dressed with all those clothes!

Other times we hung out in the unit by the fireplace and also watched the skiers from the window and I believe we might have went to the movies one day. We visited some shops, etc. The week went very fast..

Perhaps there are similar activities you can do up there as well. I am sure if you research it you will find lots to do and might even enjoy it!:hi:

Okay, now it seems like the trip is something I really have to do! Those types of things are what I envisioned when I initially made the exchange. The wheels are turning in my head. :D Thanks for sharing all that fun stuff.

This is a terrible place. Please do not go there. There's no reason for anyone else other than myself and my friends to spend time there.

Wink, wink, wink!

Stay Away.

You're funny. :rofl: A "treasured spot." Oh my! I feel like I must go now. :banana:

Thank you for all postings. Gotta go. I got some potential planning to do. :hi:

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wink, wink, wink!

Stay Away.

Ha ha. Please share are a few of your favorite places to go in the Finger Lakes so we will be sure to stay away from those in particular! :D :hysterical: :rofl:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably won't be able to use the whole week, but I'm really looking at going now!

I can get airfares with my AA rewards into Ithaca, which isn't too far from the resort. I was looking at rental cars. Would I need an SUV? I'm from Virginia, where we're crippled by any amount of snow. I'm wondering if we can get away with a smaller vehicle. After reading reviews and knowing we would only be able to stay for about 4 days, we probably would stay on-site most of the time or at Greek Peak. There is a shuttle from Hope Lake to GP. I haven't done the research, but we really would only need transportation to and from the airport. Not sure if there's a transportation option other than a rental car that would be cost-effective. Gonna spring this one on Hubby over the weekend and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the input, mpumilia. You reminded me of the reasons why I initially exchanged for this week. I believe it would make my hubby real happy to do something different than always being on a beach somewhere. :wave:

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can get airfares with my AA rewards into Ithaca, which isn't too far from the resort. I was looking at rental cars. Would I need an SUV? I'm from Virginia, where we're crippled by any amount of snow. I'm wondering if we can get away with a smaller vehicle. After reading reviews and knowing we would only be able to stay for about 4 days, we probably would stay on-site most of the time or at Greek Peak. There is a shuttle from Hope Lake to GP. I haven't done the research, but we really would only need transportation to and from the airport. Not sure if there's a transportation option other than a rental car that would be cost-effective. Gonna spring this one on Hubby over the weekend and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the input, mpumilia. You reminded me of the reasons why I initially exchanged for this week. I believe it would make my hubby real happy to do something different than always being on a beach somewhere. :wave:

I didn't know Ithaca had an airport. I would have assumed Syracuse was the closest! You shouldn't need a four wheel drive or large, heavy vehicle unless you feel safer driving one. In upstate NY we're used to snow and the roads should be salted and/or sanded. Usually the snow melts off and you should see mostly bare pavement. The majority of people get around fine with regular cars. We have a Ford Escape now and love it but have had mostly cars like Malibus and Taurus etc for years. We're between Buffalo and Rochester so similar winter weather as the Finger Lakes.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I hope you are able to find activities like the ones I mentioned up there. In Vermont, we did have our SUV (but we drove up from NY) which was good because there are a lot of unpaved roads in VT and going to the Dog Sledding place they recommended we have one! The roads were fine when we went, but if they weren't it would have possibly been a problem. But-Really during the whole week we were there, we were lucky as all the roads were fine. The winter vacation world is a whole 'nother experience. Glad we tried it. Just make sure you have the right clothes in case it gets frigid. Don't spend a lot of money. Look on-line. Don't worry too much about the way you look. One on-line site I used was Sunny Sports- got good discounts on boots and gloves. We also bought some things (snow pants, jackets) at Gander Mountain (store and on-line) before the full season kicked in.We bought things a bit bigger so as to be able to layer. We did get thermals. I didn't spring for the Underarmour brand. Most important is your gloves and your socks and your hat. I would get good warm ones. Like I mentioned, most of the time we were too hot! LOL! Have fun! Let me know how it goes!

Last edited: