• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Housekeeper tipping redux

Sullco2

Reaction score
Too many people approaching this like Forbes Magazine analysts. Just leave a decent tip for good service and be thankful you're at a point where you're not cleaning strangers toilets to feed your families. It's honorable work, despite the difficulty and hold your nose moments. I spent many a summer helping my mother clean resort rooms--the tips made a big difference. Until the MBA's (and many of you) come up with a workable solution please leave them some cash and respect.

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too many people approaching this like Forbes Magazine analysts. Just leave a decent tip for good service and be thankful you're at a point where you're not cleaning strangers toilets to feed your families. It's honorable work, despite the difficulty and hold your nose moments. I spent many a summer helping my mother clean resort rooms--the tips made a big difference. Until the MBA's (and many of you) come up with a workable solution please leave them some cash and respect.

I don't think the point is that any of us begrudge the housekeepers the money. I certainly don't. The point is that this is yet another example of a business in the hospitality industry using consumers to subsidise pay when it should be up to the business to ensure that their staff are paid a fair week's wage.

If we keep rolling over every time one of these businesses gets us to pay their staff's wages for them (on top of what we're already paying to the business for a service) the staff will never get a fair wage and they'll continue to live beholden to the generosity (or not) of the consumer.

I wouldn't like to live like that so I don't see why housekeepers should.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh dear. It is very offensive to tip in some parts of Asia. In Japan it can possibly be misconstrued as an insult. Giving money or gifts, in any Asian country (developed or developing), can be a complex ritual involving knowledge about tradition and superstition. Perhaps, you may be able to very quietly enquire about local etiquette from a reputable source (not a fellow traveller or hotel management). Ask open ended questions because it is common to avoid saying "no", they may say "yes" (even if they don't mean it) to avoid upsetting you. The culture of "saving face" means it can be difficult to get information. Good luck.

I forgot to clarify that this is a country where tipping is perfectly fine. My question is the dilemma of tipping before you see the end product. For me, when I tip, I do expect "normal" housekeeping. But when I get below standard housekeeping, it makes me question why I am tipping. Yet, when I did not leave a tip, I had a day of great housekeeping that I wished I had left a tip for that housekeeper.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If they are calling housekeeping a "tipped" profession, then they are able to pay their maids $2.13 an HOUR! (federal tipped minimum wage).
Actually, it varies by state: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

That's only in the US. I'm sure they pay maids in other countries as little as allowed by law there.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see the problem with the envelope! I do see a problem with a "customary amount" or a inferred obligation. Since first visiting my first timshare back in the 90's I've followed the recommendations I read at the time. These recommendations asked that, as owners we help reduce maintenance fees (translation: overhead/wages) by following a few procedures; loading and starting dishwasher, piling towels in one spot, and taking out the trash. I haven't had an issue with this and have always complied with the request (after all it's my maintenance fees). But now I'm to feel obligated to augment wages with tips? Perhaps I should wash & fold towels and linens. I could also seek out the gardener and tip them or help trim the hedges.
The problem is that wages should be fair for the skill and degree of difficulty related to the job. Workers should not have to rely on tips, they are to uncertain. Tips should be solely at the discretion of the guest and paid for service above and beyond what's expected. No one should feel obligated to tip but I don't have a problem with an envelope left in the room for that purpose. I see tip jars at the coffee shop but don't feel obligated to tip (although I'll throw something in every once in a while) In fact, from a customer service perspective/loss prevention standpoint it might be a good idea so that there isn't confusion over the purpose of money left laying around.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Problem is in the delivery of the Message!

My mother used to tip the maids when we went on vacation, and she set the example for me in Hotels.

In Timeshare resorts were there is no daily room clean up this is a different story.

Has this envelope also been implemented at the Marriott timeshares? I have yet to see anyone report back with a confirmation.

But back to my original message. I think it is really tacky of Marriott to go out on a PR campaign to suggest tips. What they are telling us is at their Hotels that the housekeeping staff relies on tips much like wait staff at restaurants, and Staff on Cruise Ships. When you are paying $150 per night at a hotel you would expect that at least 15 to 20 percent of that fee applies to the housekeeping staff. So for about $25 of the $150 this should be more than enough to cover their wages.

We all know that is common knowledge that wait staff at restaurants rely on tips. And cruise lines also tell us the same thing. Now this is a soft surcharge that Marriott is imposing on hotel customers. Now they also went on an ad campaign to get the message out. I am sure this PR stunt must have been a few $100K to broadcast? What will they think of next?

E

EducatedConsumer

If they are calling housekeeping a "tipped" profession, then they are able to pay their maids $2.13 an HOUR! (federal tipped minimum wage).

The way the law is written if the tips don't add up to at least the regular federal minimum wage, the EMPLOYER is supposed to make up the difference to bring them to the minimum wage (I'd be very interested in how many do that).

SO if Marriott can get it's customers to help pay the wages of their employees, it's money in their pocket.

We need to raise the TIPPED minimum to the REGULAR minimum wage so that a TIP is truly a TIP not a boost to the company's bottom line.

It never dawned on me that Marriott would be do devious or covert, or that I would be so naive. If Marriott is up to lowering the housekeeper's wages, based on the fact that they are in a "tipped" position, shame on Marriott.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree. This is what we hear from people in some of the countries that don't tip and blame us Americans for not paying our employes a livable wage. We live in a tip culture, especially in this country. The tip is a reflection of a number of things which include quality of service and the friendliness of the person providing a service.

Just as people on Tug are discussing how much to tip, the resort has probably been asked countless times if a tip should be left and how much.

On our RCCI cruise that we took in May, from Venice, Italy to Athens, some of the Greek Islands, Montenegro, and back, RCCI provided some tipping suggestions for that country/city/island, which was very helpful.

I live in Las Vegas, NV, and tipping in this resort community is just a way of life. We don't tip to supplement another persons income, although we are indirectly, but that's not why.

To me the maid is the most important person of the staff. It does NOT bother me that Marriott is leaving envelopes in the rooms.
I have ALWAYS tipped the maid at the hotel on a daily basis because you don't always have the same maid everyday. I leave a note that says "Thank you for cleaning the room" with a smiley face on it, money, and a chocolate bar.
It is AMAZING the service we get from housekeeping, and often our room looks like a linen closet they leave so many towels, toilet paper, etc. Many a maid has left me a thank you note in return. In the Middle East along with leaving tons of towels they also strip our beds everyday, make lovely towel animals and even put rose petals on the bed. Apparently they are enjoying the money and chocolate I leave them as much as I enjoy the fantastic service I am getting. I really appreciate CLEAN rooms and good service. Some of the thank you notes that the maids have left have REALLY touched my heart. It also makes me happy that I have made someone elses day easier because having a clean well stocked room makes me happy.:)
I remember checking out of a hotel in Istanbul and the maid was blowing me kisses as I left. I have been hugged by so many maids, and told many times "God bless you" as I was leaving to check out after a week or 2 stay. It is amazing how appreciated you can be from strangers, and some family members don't even acknowlege a gift.

Well stated. Agree 100%.

=