• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering entering the Marriott world, advice needed

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently Starwood owners (and a couple other no-name resorts).

We would like to know about Marriott Maui Ocean Club and the possibility of getting in for weeks 51 and 52, every other year (even preferred).

Would our only option for getting in for those weeks be to actually purchase those weeks?

If not...

Is there an advantage in booking if you are an owner at the resort, or would any Marriott do?

If so...

Any suggestions for an economical TS that gives a better likelihood of getting in every other year in a 1 bedroom?

Thanks for any and all advice.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I believe those are Event Weeks, so that you would need to purchase the exact week, and I do not know if they are available EOY. You may be better suited to renting from an existing owner.

Marriott properties are terrific, and I believe you would like them. MOC in particular is a favorite of mine. I would not recommend trying to buy points and use those to get your needed week -- that would take a ton of points.

Best,

Greg

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Greg. I was wondering if it were like the Westin, and sounds like it is (re: event weeks).

We only need those weeks EOY for the next 4 years, so renting is probably the most economical bet.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you only want to go twice in the next four years, definitely rent. There are tons of MOC rentals on Redweek and MyResortNetwork, including weeks 51 and 52. Exchanging for those particular weeks is very chancy, time consuming, and could be last minute, given how Marriott manipulates inventory to support its Destination Club (which also means that any savings by getting the unit cheap will be more than offset by last minute airfare).

When it's time to rent, be sure you understand the difference between the old section and the new towers (both are excellent; they are just different). And view category is very important, at least if you want to look at the Pacific from your lanai.

It's a fantastic resort; you'll love it.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, we are now familiar with the resort. We just checked out of a 1 bedroom at the Lahaina Villas -- 9th floor oceanfront.

I'll admit, we were disappointed that we didn't get into the Westin this year, but found we really, really enjoyed this resort and location. In fact, we are hoping from the impossible chance of a last minute retrace back into the resort next week. I have done a last minute retrade into Waiohai before (day before), but it seems that Kauai has more last minute availability than Maui.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Week 51 or 52 at MOC is going to cost a boatload of cash upfront. As others indicated, it you just need it for two years out of the next four, then rent. These rentals will cost top dollar, but far less than the tens of thousands of dollars it would cost to buy one of these weeks.

What would your plans be for five years and beyond?

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
With the inflation of maintenance fees at many MVCI properties (check out the 2015 thread), I think many-including us-are seeing the ability to rent for nearly the price of the fees. Without the investment. That wasn't the case 5+ years ago. Just my opinion. YMMV.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a lot depends on one's age and family status. When I divested my Marriott Floating Weeks many years ago I kept my Monarch Fixed Week. My reasons were certainty and because I had young kids and knew we would use the Week for a number of years. My point is that if I could see say 10 years of usage and could buy certainty, I would probably do it. Otherwise I would probably recommend renting.

George

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are a family of 3, with one of us being 7 years old.

I am also a student (getting my Ph.D.) and have about 3 years left, plus a post doc year.

Our son's school schedule is not an issue, it's my schedule that is becoming more stringent for the next few years. My husband's business is seasonal, and summer travel is not an option.

We have been going to Maui and Kauai every year in December or January for 6 years. We have been able to manage avoiding the need for week 51 and 52 travel up until now. We do own a Lawai Beach Resort, EOY, so we can always book Christmas or NYE week with that.

We now alternate between Kauai and Maui each year, and have become accustomed to at least 2 weeks.

After I finish my post doc, we can be more flexible and go back to our preferred January weeks, just after the holidays.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
and I am fully aware of how spoiled we've become over the years! :D I just want to keep it up if possible.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
We have been going to Maui and Kauai every year in December or January for 6 years.
Some year, you should try a week at the Marriott in Ko'Olina, Oahu (MKO) ;)

We just got back early Sunday morning from a week at MKO and a week at Waiohai :cheer:

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron98GT - we landed up doing a very last minute Etrade into Ko'Olina and loved it as well.

Some new questions I have...

Does what where you own and what season you own affect your trading power in II? I currently own a Starwood property, and it seems to pull everything that others can when in Starwood preference. The only time I cannot access are the larger units at some resorts (I use a 1 bedroom for trading).

We are thinking of looking at a less expensive Marriott purchase to use as a trader.