• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Life [TV Show]

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We actually looked at the unit at Kauai Kailani that they ended out choosing.
Even though they didn't follow through in the end. The one thing that I was
Surprised at was that the unit didn't show as small as it really was. It's only
590 sq. ft and they have been selling right around asking price of $236,000.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Thinking of a permanent relocation?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Would love to. We have some things we have to take care of first but you
Never know. Maybe in retirement, maybe a little sooner and if not we can always
Dream.:D

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Haven't seen that episode. The problem I have with the Hawaii Life show is that it's fake. They don't show the buyers properties they can afford, or that fit their shopping list. Instead, they show the buyers the stupidest, ugliest, most unlikely properties! They make it seem like the few they show are the only properties for sale on the island.

Maybe they're the only listings the Hawaii Life real estate agency has, or maybe they're the listings the showing agent has, or maybe they're trying to make it more dramatic, but it all seems so unrealistic. If I was a buyer who wanted a home in Lahaina, I'd be seriously pissed off if they wasted my time showing me properties in Kula. A two-plus hour commute time? Seriously?

But yes, of course I'll watch, even if I'm screaming at the TV. It's Hawaii, right? :)

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not only are they fake, all the HGTV real estate shows have the same script:

• What's on your wish list?
  • It's going to be hard to meet your requirements with that budget.
  • I'll go back to the office, I think I have some great properties for you.
  • Oh, I love this open space.
  • This kitchen/bathroom is really dated.
  • It's enough closet space for my clothes, but where will yours go.
  • It's not close enough to the beach, I need to be close to the beach.
  • We need to make a decision.
  • Which house can we eliminate?
  • We love our house, it's the best decision we ever made.

Having said that, Hawaii Life is still my favorite because of the high def scenery, and because they often include video of some local activity. I'll keep watching it ever if DW won't let me mute the sound track.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All reality TV is fake. I watch for moments like I had to see the same area
And in this case the same unit I saw. What I don't like about the show is the
Financial reality is ignored. I don't see how these people can afford these
$400,000 places on the jobs that they say they have on the show.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All reality TV is fake. I watch for moments like I had to see the same area
And in this case the same unit I saw. What I don't like about the show is the
Financial reality is ignored. I don't see how these people can afford these
$400,000 places on the jobs that they say they have on the show.

Inheritance? I don't see how anyone can afford housing on Oahu.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Art

I thought the same thing but there are just too many on that show that don't
Really add up. Unless they are like a lot of stories you here about where they
Don't plan well so they don't stay there long. I would think that happens a lot.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think that it depends on where you are from, and the housing prices you are used to. In California, $400K is not high for a house.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
In the SF bay area $400,000 doesn't buy much!:(:(
What I find funny about these shows is that the people are shown 3-4 houses and then they quickly make up their mind. Whenever my spouse and I have purchased a new home we have looked at 30-40 houses and spend days deliberating.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But the jobs they have sure wouldn't support buying a $400,000 no matter
Where you are.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please refer to my signature. :)

Jim

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I don't understand how some of the middle-class people (e.g. a dive instructor) they depict can afford these houses, either. The hardest to understand is the Canadian housing prices. A 2 bdrm bungalow is 2x as expensive as the 4 bdrm home we raised our kids in, and we struggled to make those payments early on. At least in Hawaii, energy costs should be minimal if you can live without heat or a/c, all the plants you buy are perennials, clothing expenses are minimal compared to those of us who have to dress for 4 seasons, and property taxes are very reasonable thanks to the TS owners! :)

Nonetheless, I'll admit I still watch "Hawaii Life" mainly because of the scenery. :whoopie: <- That's my hula icon

In re to reality, I enjoy a lot of HGTV shows, but I really do wonder if any of them reflect reality. For instance, "Flip or Flop" gives the impression that you can renovate an entire house, including landscaping, for $35-40,000. And if you install travertine tile and upgraded appliances, you'll end up with a bidding war, and pocketing $70k! Uh huh. Next time, Tarek and Christine, how about employing licensed, legal, bonded/insured laborers and report back what kind of profit you make, because I've renovated 3 piece bathrooms that were more expensive than what you reportedly paid for a custom kitchen.

Then we have "Vacation Home for Free," which lures folks who've saved ~$100,000 or less into purchasing $500k-700k homes, by using the minimum allowed towards the DP, and committing the rest towards "smart, renter-friendly" renovations. Their premise is that once they spruce up the joint, their rental will command top dollar, and all the owner has to do is rent out x number of weeks during prime season, and that will be sufficient to cover their annual mortgage, interest, property taxes and HOA fees. Voila! A vacation home for free!

I mean, how irresponsible is that? What they DON'T mention is:

• As the economy goes up and the economy goes down, so do rental rates.
  • It's very unlikely to book every week in prime season for prime season rates.
  • In order to get those renters, they'll either have to pay to advertise on a site like VRBO and commit hours fielding calls and emails from prospective renters OR they'll have to employ a professional rental agency to do that on their behalf.*
  • They'll also have to hire a local property manager* who will take care of issues as they arise. How many of these owners envisioned trying to find a plumber in another state who can fix a leaky toilet TODAY, or fielding 2am phone calls from drunk renters who want to know how to turn on the hot tub.
  • That while most people are responsible, there will be renters who will treat their home like a flop house, and end up doing more damage to the place than they paid in rent, or who won't care that leaving the sauna on 24/7 just added $1000 to your monthly utility bill.

Just ONCE, I'd like them to produce a reality show that actually reflect reality, instead of the sanitized, glamorized version of it. Wouldn't that be a great show?

*FYI, my neighbor uses a professional rental/local agent combination firm for her vacation home in Hilton Head. They charge 55% of the rental rate for their services. :eek:

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

Having said that, Hawaii Life is still my favorite because of the high def scenery, and because they often include video of some local activity. I'll keep watching it ever if DW won't let me mute the sound track.
The worst offender is "Love It or List It". That show has the same identical script from show-to-show: I can't stand it. :wall: I won't watch it. :wave:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the SF bay area $400,000 doesn't buy much!:(:(
What I find funny about these shows is that the people are shown 3-4 houses and then they quickly make up their mind. Whenever my spouse and I have purchased a new home we have looked at 30-40 houses and spend days deliberating.
They're shown more than 3 or 4 houses, for TV they just show 3 or 4, have the buyers eliminate one, and then pick one. If you listen, you'll hear the Realtor say things like "we have a lot of houses to see" or "we've seen a lot of houses".

It Reality TV. If you watch the Property Brothers, they briefly show the buyers walking into or out-of multiple house to show the fatigue factor, all the shows, like Hawaii Life, should do the same.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The worst offender is "Love It or List It". That show has the same identical script from show-to-show: I can't stand it. :wall: I won't watch it. :wave:

Or the two regular hosts --- they try pitting the weekly homeowners against each other. And they NEVER, EVER mention the COSTS to sell their home (RE commission, points to buy the new one, 2 sets of settlement costs) - they make like it is trading in a car ... "oh, I want THAT MODEL and here are the keys to my current MODEL...".

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Or the two regular hosts --- they try pitting the weekly homeowners against each other. And they NEVER, EVER mention the COSTS to sell their home (RE commission, points to buy the new one, 2 sets of settlement costs) - they make like it is trading in a car ... "oh, I want THAT MODEL and here are the keys to my current MODEL...".
The shows in Canada, I believe Toronto. They are 100 year old homes with nothing but problems. With the houses being so old, nothing is to code. And it's always "My neighborhood, my neighborhood", what's with this "It has to be in my neighborhood" crap?

Ever notice that the price of homes in Canada is about the same as in Hawaii, if not more? How does a basic Canadian family afford $800K to $1M for a simple home? Do they use 40 year mortgages? The Hawaii/Canadian mortgage question bewilders me. When I figure it out, I'll retire to Hawaii.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The shows in Canada, I believe Toronto. They are 100 year old homes with nothing but problems. With the houses being so old, nothing is to code. And it's always "My neighborhood, my neighborhood", what's with this "It has to be in my neighborhood" crap?

Ever notice that the price of homes in Canada is about the same as in Hawaii, if not more? How does a basic Canadian family afford $800K to $1M for a simple home? Do they use 40 year mortgages? The Hawaii/Canadian mortgage question bewilders me. When I figure it out, I'll retire to Hawaii.

Interest only loans?

Yes, I recall a lot of the "my neighborhood", too. And I sit there yelling at the TV ... you don't need no TV show to show you stuff down the street from you!!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't understand how some of the middle-class people (e.g. a dive instructor) they depict can afford these houses, either. The hardest to understand is the Canadian housing prices. A 2 bdrm bungalow is 2x as expensive as the 4 bdrm home we raised our kids in, and we struggled to make those payments early on. At least in Hawaii, energy costs should be minimal if you can live without heat or a/c, all the plants you buy are perennials, clothing expenses are minimal compared to those of us who have to dress for 4 seasons, and property taxes are very reasonable thanks to the TS owners! :)

Nonetheless, I'll admit I still watch "Hawaii Life" mainly because of the scenery. :whoopie: <- That's my hula icon

This is my point exactly. Maybe it is interest only or 40 year mortgages. Maybe
They don't take anything into account and only stay a few months and see it
Won't work and go back to the mainland.

I can live with the rest on the show after all it is TV but I don't like that part but
It's Hawaii and I'll still watch.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I would add my two cents worth -- to me, the most annoying are:
-- OH, no stainless steel appliances and I MUST have granite. If I hear that one more time I think I'll be sick. Anyone want to take bets on what the next 'must have' kitchen will include? I'm starting to hear a lot about quartz. What color will be the new 'must have' appliances?
-- OH, no refrigerator is included? (Who really cares about that when making a purchase that large?)

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interest only loans?

Ouch!!! I didn't even consider that ugly, unthinkable, option.

Yes, I recall a lot of the "my neighborhood", too. And I sit there yelling at the TV ... you don't need no TV show to show you stuff down the street from you!!!

:hysterical: Yeah, it drives me and the wife crazy every every time we hear them complain about the new house NOT being in THEIR neighborhood: get a (new) life. :rofl: At that point, I have to change the channel :wall:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You guys are all making me feel great! All this time I thought it was just me shouting at the TV. :)

I watch all these shows, because I like renovating houses. (My own, not one belonging to someone else.) And I love Hawaii, so I watch any and all real estate shows about the Islands. But I have never felt what they're showing on TV is realistic. :wall:

Now, when you figure out how I can afford to retire in Hawaii, let me know, will ya? I'm ready anytime. ;)

Dave

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of interest only loans in Canada, and last I checked 40 year loans are out the window. During our relocation, we built a house but had to qualify for both mortgages in case the one in Edmonton didn't sell. We refinanced over 35 years which was the max and covered both with a 1 year mortgage until we sold one, then renewed with a 15 year amortization.

House prices are stupid in any city in Canada, especially Toronto and Vancouver. I always dreamed of living in a half million dollar house, I just never expected it to be a cookie cutter, ho hum, suburbanite home.:doh:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
To those posting about the TV show "Vacation House for Free"...

What really gets me is the "Prime rental season" is the weeks you want to rent for top dollar, but they are also the same weeks you want to be using your own rental. What is the point of having a place if you can only use it during the times you can't go/don't want to go????