• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quarter House- should we rent a car?

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked an exchange to the Quarter House for Jan 9th, we are only staying until the 14th and have never been to NO before. Should I rent a car? I couldn't find any information about parking at the QH and didn't know if we would really even need one.
Thanks!

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a parking lot about 1 1/2 blocks away and it is $20 a day with in/out. If you decide to do this, you stop at Quarter House and get a card and pay them. You get a stamp on the card for each day. Quarter House is a great location. Close to the French Quarters, Downtown area, Street Car Stop, etc. I think I would not get a car for my first visit. Many of the streets are one way, narrow with a lot of people walking around. I have done it both ways in NO, but have only stayed once at Quarter House. If you like walking, you can do many things. You do need to keep an eye on sidewalks while walking several uneven spots.

Last edited:

Merbears

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a great time! I have been visited NOLA several times (pre ts life) and love itI have lived and driven in major metro areas but would not drive in NOLA. It's easy to get around and cabs are inexpensive - in my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to get out of town to tour the countryside yourself, bring a car. but for anything in town use the streetcar. By the way there are plantation tours, for that out of town experience...ride the bus and leave the driving to them.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for multiple visits to NOLA without a car ...

There were 9TH Ward tours also ... to see what and how BIG the area changed by Hurricane Katrina ... enjoyed that. I also have a taken a van tour of the city which included the graveyards (not a good place to be without knowing the neighborhoods) plus a good overview of the city (small van ONLY to see stuff on the small streets).

I also would vote for the plantation tour ...

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Transportation from the airport?

Thanks for all of the responses! Sounds like I will skip the car this time. We are walkers/ runners so have no problem walking several miles a day. Any suggestions for transportation companies from the airport to QH that I can set up ahead of time?
Lisa

Merbears

TUG Member
Reaction score
Swamp tours are interesting as well as provide transportation . Be sure to check out Laffitte's Blacksmith shop . It's a historic bar that only in the past ten years or so added electricity. My personal fav spot around 3-5pm. It's fun to sit outside and watch the other tourists on the carriage tours. They always stop in front.

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
I always like the freedom a car gives you, but agree with everyone else that in town you can walk and use the street cars and bus, and for the plantations and swamp tours, the tour bus for them.

Laffitte's Blacksmith shop
[IMGL]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JX-RvdRNttY/UTQKdHKrexI/AAAAAAAQZEo/th82TRfoRBI/s800/IMG_0911.JPG[/IMGL]

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses! Sounds like I will skip the car this time. We are walkers/ runners so have no problem walking several miles a day. Any suggestions for transportation companies from the airport to QH that I can set up ahead of time?
Lisa

By bag claim is the booth --- if you buy a round trip ticket, you just call them to come pick you all up. Worked great for me the several times I did it. Plus, I think it was cheaper than getting a cab BACK to the airport.

Plus, brainless stuff is much easier when dead tired and hung over. ;)

Merbears

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Re-entry to reality from NOLA is always a challenge for me but worth it every time! I miss the food and music as well.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unit 222

Thanks for all of the helpful information. We are looking forward to our trip. The II confirmation said unit 222. Any comments about the unit? We invited another couple to join us and hope there is plenty of room.
Thanks
Lisa

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The II confirmation said unit 222. Any comments about the unit? We invited another couple to join us and hope there is plenty of room.
Thanks
Lisa

Is the unit one-bedroom rated to sleep 4 or a two-bedroom? As mentioned in the thread below we have an II exchange for Jan. 30 in unit 109 - a one bedroom rated to sleep 4 privately. In a call to the resort they said it is a small one-bedroom and this was confirmed in a response to my thread question. In reading the reviews on TUG and Trip Advisor I found warnings that some small one-bedrooms are extremely crowded with four people.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
By bag claim is the booth --- if you buy a round trip ticket, you just call them to come pick you all up. Worked great for me the several times I did it. Plus, I think it was cheaper than getting a cab BACK to the airport.

This site quotes $33 for one or two passengers from the airport: http://www.flymsy.com/pagedisplay.asp?p1=6016#Taxicabs

Is it more expensive going back?

We would probably tip either a cab driver or a shuttle bus driver.

Last edited:

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 bed, 2 bath

I just looked, it said 2 bed 2 bath. Sounds like there are different configurations though?

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked, it said 2 bed 2 bath. Sounds like there are different configurations though?

I think you should be in good shape with four people in a two bedroom. From reading the reviews it sounds like no two units are alike. I believe 222 is on the second floor. There was at least one complaint in the reviews concerning a unit on the second floor that is above the bar - smoke and noise. Call the resort and ask them about your unit.

Bryang73

Reaction score
Here's a not very detailed map that I found a few years ago. Based on this it appears as though 222 is in the back left corner, so that unit probably overlooks Exchange Place and probably isn't above one of the bars fronting Chartres or Iberville. The downside is the garbage trucks use Exchange Place and can be very noisy early in the AM :bawl:

I've stayed at QH several times over the years and have always had a uniquely decorated unit with a different floorplan each time. It's all part of the charm. Enjoy NOLA!

Quarter%2BHouse%2BRoom%2BLayout.jpg

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thanks for posting the map! Noise doesn't ever seem to bother me but smoke sure does. Sounds like we should be in good shape.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We exchanged over Thanksgiving, had two one bedroom units and they both were the same as on the II confirmation.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in 430A/B this week. I own this specific unit this week but it is my first time staying at the QH. I am absolutely loving it. While some units might be noisy, this one is the quietest timeshare stay we have ever experienced. We cannot here even a whisper from any other unit or the outside. We can barely here anything from another room within the same unit. Also can't hear anything from each side of the A/B.

Love the Quarter House.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I am in 430A/B this week. I own this specific unit this week but it is my first time staying at the QH. I am absolutely loving it. While some units might be noisy, this one is the quietest timeshare stay we have ever experienced. We cannot here even a whisper from any other unit or the outside. We can barely here anything from another room within the same unit. Also can't hear anything from each side of the A/B.

Love the Quarter House.

One of the units we own is 427, a 2BR unit where the living area overlooks Rue Chartres. Except for the occasional evangelizer on the corner, even the living area is pretty quiet. The bedrooms are like you are saying -- dead quiet, probably because there are two brick walls between the street and one BR and three brick walls between the street and the other BR.

On the other hand, one of our other units, 110, backs to the alley. It's noisy early in the morning when the garbage truck picks up the dumpster but that only lasts for a few minutes.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, one of our other units, 110, backs to the alley. It's noisy early in the morning when the garbage truck picks up the dumpster but that only lasts for a few minutes.

Should we expect the same in 109?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I definitely would not rent a car. We have used our car only once all week, and it was only to go to a movie theater on Christmas Day. We have only used the trolleys for our needs, but the $3 ticket for unlimited street car usage also applies to buses, so you can go most anywhere needed.