• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head resort question

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planning to go to Hilton Head for the first time in the summer. In the "second tier" resorts such as Marriott Harbour Point, Bluewater, and Waterside, which do you prefer? We recently had the opportunity to re-trade into a 3BR Waterside unit from our current reservation at Harbour Point. But we had no frame of reference as to which was a better place to stay for a family. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are travelling with children or more than 4 adults I would probably change to Waterside and the larger unit. For 2-4 adults I would stick with Harbour Point. Waterside has bigger and better pools that kids would probably prefer. Waterside is walkable to the beach although it is a fairly long walk with beach gear in the summer heat. It is a really nice public beach with all the facilities to change and clean off, etc at Coligny (near Waterside) but it is quite crowded. The beach access for Shelter Cove is more private although still probably fairly crowded during the summer. Its not walkable and would be a fairly far bike ride for most in the heat with beach gear. The parking can be limited if you don't get there early. There is a free jitney bus that will take you to the beach and bring you back.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Altho we own at Marriott Grande Ocean and Barony (and are well familiar with Harbour Point), we also own two 3-BRs at Waterside for "extra time at HH", and Waterside is a very nice resort.

Advantages for Waterside:
1. beach is close/walkable---several blocks; pools are bigger.
2. adjacent to Coligny Plaza, full of shops and restaurants.
3. 3-BR will give more space....2 master suites.
4. imho, better location for a family vacation.

Advantages for Harbour Pointe:
1. it's a Marriott!
2. units are nicer----rooms, furniture, TVs, kitchen, etc--- so you'll be more comfortable.
3. inland waterway view is nice.
4. pool is fine....slightly smaller but clean and well-kept.

Bluewater is nice but very isolated. Longer drive to anything, don't recommend given other choices.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
IMHO, Waterside has a very good large pool, excellent for kids, plus a little waterworks/pool for kids (sort of hidden between 2 bldgs-not at the big pool). I do not like the location of BlueWater, although it would be good if you kayak, as they have free kayaks, I think. I love W's easy access by foot or bike to shops, putt-putt, etc. My teens like the W location for a bit of freedom not too far from the resort on foot/bike. The 3BR are large, they typically have 2 Kings and 1 set of twins.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are list of non Marriott's resorts that are very nice on the island Royal Dunes @ Port Royal Plantation, and Port O Call & Spinnaker's at Shipyard Plantation just to names a few resorts.

Royal Dunes & Port O Call have 3 bedrooms units.

mrsc

TUG Member
Reaction score
What non-Marriotts are recommended for Myrtle Beach?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
What non-Marriotts are recommended for Myrtle Beach?

We bought 2 weeks at Waterside in Hilton Head to gain "extra" HH beach time at cheap prices.

LIKEWISE, we bought 2 weeks at Sheraton Broadway Plantation at Myrtle Beach for "extra" beach time there. These purchases were dirt cheap, but the resorts are very nice and the MFs are reasonable and lower than our Marriotts.

(IMHO, there are only about 3 or 4 "nice" non-Marriotts from which to choose. Marriott Oceanwatch is unsurpassed, as you know, so these I'd characterize as second-tier resorts, but they are heads and shoulders above all other third-tier resorts.) I chose SBP initially because of the price, but the quality has been overwhelmingly impressive the more we see it, so I'd rate it at the top of the second tier.

SBP at Myrtle has great villas (all recently refurbished with granite countertops, etc., etc), and has THE best pool complex at Myrtle Beach because it has a huge, beautiful Adult area pool, a fantastic Kids' pool called Pirate's Cove, a Lazy River, and a huge Indoor Pool. That's a lot of variety, and all fun. They also have screened-in porches. Look at these photos---it's a nice place.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=5601

The resort is adjacent to (less than a quarter mile, and walkable) to the famous "Broadway at the Beach", which has many restaurants, shops, and attractions, including a theater.

http://goo.gl/maps/yUZgM

http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/

The only drawback is that it's one mile from the beach. Beach parking is not a hassle, though, and you simply drive straight to the beach and park in the designated Public Beach lots which are oceanfront.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few more things about Harbour Point:
1) there is a free shuttle to the beach access. You can park at the beach access, but there aren't a lot of parking spaces and when they fill up you are out of luck
2) the Shelter Cove area is being refurbished (mall, new Whole Foods, etc.). This makes for a much nicer area than before
3) you have fireworks at Shelter Cove each week
4) water views can be spectacular, but it isn't the beach
5) there are multiple different sizes for the 2BR units and some have much better views than others. I stayed in the smallest one and overlooked the parking lot. The units were old, but refurbished.

Overall, I really liked Harbor Point and Sunset Point. They are the best values in the destination club from a points perspective (IMO).