• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone ever forget to bid on Ebay?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm sitting here shaking my head, chuckling at myself...

I've been closely watching an ebay auction all week, (a mid-range timeshare I've been wanting to buy for some time now), waiting for it to end this evening at 7 PM my time. There was only one bid of $1.00, and I just KNEW I'd be able to manually snipe in and win the auction. I had already made plans in my head for how I'd use the upcoming week, and so on and so forth. I was SO excited!

So then this afternoon I was putzing around with my home stereo, trying to find a way to connect a new component, and I realized I needed some patch cables. It was about dinner time, so I threw on my shoes and dashed off to the electronics store to get them. While there, I got sucked into looking at some amazing new stuff, and on the way home I went through the drive-through to get dinner. I finally got home and had to put the stereo back together before relaxing for the evening.

So I'm sitting here eating my take-out, relaxing and watching TV, when I checked the onscreen guide to see what's on. I check the time and it's now well after 8 PM. And then it dawns on me: I forgot to bid on the stupid auction!!! :eek:

Of course, I didn't win, because I never placed a bid. :doh: So now I have to laugh, and start watching eBay for the next time the resort comes up for sale. Luckily, this one will be back again. And I'll be better prepared next time.

Anybody else ever have an auction bid totally slip your mind, and let a good one get away? :wall:

Dave

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I never "manually" bid - too tempting to nudge up to more than I want to spend. I set an esnipe and don't peek until after the auction.

If I forget or am not near my computer, it doesn't really matter.

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
KInd of the opposite for us. stumbled upon an auction that we were interested in with less than an hour to go...Had to decide if we wanted to bid, and what our price was, and then manually placed one bid. It was heavily bid on in that last hour, but we wound up with the TS at a happy price. :whoopie:

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
Nope, I use Hidbid.com. It's a free (up to 5 times a week) sniping tool. Most charge ya, which is why I stick with this one. I used to manually snipe all the time in the early 2000s, infact my old handle was 'lastsecondsteal'. I don't do that anymore since automated sniping is free now. I set it and forget it. It's great especially when you don't have access at work.

NEGreyhound

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was I talking about? I forget.

Sorry to hear you lost the auction. Is this an example of a possible "senior" moment? If you forgot what this thread is about already that may be the answer. The answer to what? Darn where was I?:hysterical:
I've been temporarily working in another country and there being 12 hours difference in time zones. I used my snipe program unsuccessfully twice before I realized the speed of internet connection did not allow the bid to arrive in time. Even did a manual bid but still lost based on time and speed. The last one I missed because of the time the auction was ending and the snipe internet delay.
There is suppose to be a so called "fake auction" site where you can determine the speed of your internet connection through bidding on a "dummy auction". I haven't explored that yet. If and when I do then I can set up a snipe based on time and i speed.
What... I'm bidding? On what? :hysterical:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Automatic sniping

Set it and forget it

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like others mention, I went to e-snipe after I did that a few times. What I really appreciate is I don't have to worry about my fumbling fingers, particularly if my manual snipe was too low. This way I can set the maximum price I want to pay and not get emotionally sucked into attempting to bid more in the final seconds.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I kind of had the opposite happen last week. I set up a snipe for an auction and then I happened to be on the computer right during the last minutes of the countdown. I was looking at the auction, and my DH wandered into the office at 1 minute, 29 seconds. He said, "What are you doing?" I said, "I'm bidding on a timeshare." He said, "No no no! We have enough timeshares! Stop! Stop!"

I realized he was right, I hustled over to the snipe site, and I turned off the snipe just in the nick of time. I didn't win the auction...although I think my snipe would have done it. The selling price was very good.

Part of me is kicking myself, and part of me feels like I dodged a bullet.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Yes, we have forgotten to get back to bid on time. Hubby likes to bid manually, but we both have to have our computers on and he watches the countdown and tells me when to click on the bid.

We snagged a great Buganvilias for $5.50 (the seller is paying the closing and transfer fees) on Friday while sitting on the beach at the Buganvilias. Then we went to look at the model for that unit - we got quite a deal. Huge 2 bedroom unit with 3 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, a dining room, 2 Murphy beds and a wrap around deck plus a smaller deck. It can be broken up into 2 1-bedroom units and we can stay there 2 weeks. We do have to go suring May-October, but that is fine. We always take an October vacation anyway.:)

I added pictures of it to my photos.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I went in and placed some bids with hidbid.com, we'll see how that goes. I am trying to snatch a Marriott Palm Springs or another SDO. Thanks.

Nope, I use Hidbid.com. It's a free (up to 5 times a week) sniping tool. Most charge ya, which is why I stick with this one. I used to manually snipe all the time in the early 2000s, infact my old handle was 'lastsecondsteal'. I don't do that anymore since automated sniping is free now. I set it and forget it. It's great especially when you don't have access at work.

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
Thanks for the tip, I went in and placed some bids with hidbid.com, we'll see how that goes. I am trying to snatch a Marriott Palm Springs or another SDO. Thanks.

Good I'm glad I could help. My only other suggestion is NEVER to bid in even dollars. Most people think in even dollars. Be above average:)
For example if your max bid is $500, instead bid $500.13 or something like that. If someone else's max is $500 also, you will win by $0.13 cents.
This has helped me tremendously since 1998 (when I started bidding with Ebay). Admittedly as people become more E-savvy it gets harder.
Five years ago I would have said to go only one or five cents over full dollar increments, but increasingly people are catching on to do that.
Somewhere in the teens or twenties over is generally sufficient for the win these days.

Last edited:

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody else ever have an auction bid totally slip your mind, and let a good one get away? :wall:

Dave

Yes I have! :rofl:

I figure it's also saved me a lot in maintenance fees.:D

I'm one who prefers the thrill factor of manually bidding and winning, but it does take the time to stay focused and be there on the computer for the countdown, and battle fumble fingers. To me it's all part of the fun.

Marty

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes I have! :rofl:

I figure it's also saved me a lot in maintenance fees.:D

I'm one who prefers the thrill factor of manually bidding and winning, but it does take the time to stay focused and be there on the computer for the countdown, and battle fumble fingers. To me it's all part of the fun.

Marty

See, that was exactly what I was planning. I like manually bidding. But in this case, I got totally sidetracked, and lost track of the time. Duh! :doh:

Oh well. Next auction I'll be there. Luckily this resort comes up pretty often. It's only a matter of time. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My Watch List prob'ly has a dozen or so expired auctions for things
which I forgot I wanted. I guess I didn't need them all that badly.

Heck, I forget where I put my keys from one moment to the next.
At least I can find my cell phone by calling it from from my land line
(if the battery isn't dead).

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I also snipe, using bidnip.com. They have very reasonable fees and have never missed placing a bid - which is more than I can say for auctionsniper.com.

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually got a great deal because I forgot to bid. i placed a $100 bid early on on a GV gold week. I was going to go back and bid up to $600 on it just before the end of the auction. I forgot about it and someone else out bid me then rescinded their bid and I got it for $56. :whoopie:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bidding

patience patience, if you are meant to have it you will get another one.