• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

title problems with purchased timeshare

doodlenut

Reaction score
We purchased a wyndham timeshare and received a letter last year stating the unit they sold us did not have free and clear title. We have not signed a new tile yet. We want to figure out how this affects the contract and if the maintenance fees we have paid for a unit we don't own should be refunded or applied to the new unit if we sign the new title. do we actually even own anything?

Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We purchased a wyndham timeshare and received a letter last year stating the unit they sold us did not have free and clear title. We have not signed a new tile yet. We want to figure out how this affects the contract and if the maintenance fees we have paid for a unit we don't own should be refunded or applied to the new unit if we sign the new title. do we actually even own anything?

Thanks

You don't own anything. If the title is not free and clear, it cannot be transferred to you. They should refund everything you paid, including maintenance fees.

WHO told you the title was not free and clear?

WHO did you buy from?

This happened to me with a Wyndham resale on ebay once. Wyndham had foreclosed on the timeshare and would not transfer it to me - I got a refund from the ebay seller. But I didn't find out there was a problem, until I actually tried to make the first reservation.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is something Wyndham SOLD you ... get your money back and thank your lucky stars!

MFs should be given back to you. They could not deliver WHAT they sold you and you are so disappointed YOU WANT ALL YOUR MONEY BACK.

Then, you can buy Wyndham or another timeshare WHEN YOU KNOW MORE.

doodlenut

Reaction score
wyndham title problems

Thank you Denise and vacation hopeful, We purchased the timeshare form wyndham in Pagoasa Springs CO and the letter was from Wyndham title services. If they have to refund all the money, how should we proceed? If we should want to keep it, do we have a good negotiating position on past due maintenance fees? Are we better off to just go for the refund, will we need an attorney? Sorry about so many questions, we were not very knowledgeable when we purchased.
Thank you for your time,

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can't keep it - it doesn't have a clear title so it can't legally be transferred at this time - it's probably in foreclosure.

They should refund you every single cent.

You don't need an attorney - I'd start by contacting the title office.

*As Linda said - you got lucky that it won't go through. You can buy the same thing on the resale market for a FRACTION of the developer price. So you want to get your money back - don't agree to accept a different deed - GET OUT!

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Denise and vacation hopeful, We purchased the timeshare form wyndham in Pagoasa Springs CO and the letter was from Wyndham title services. If they have to refund all the money, how should we proceed? If we should want to keep it, do we have a good negotiating position on past due maintenance fees? Are we better off to just go for the refund, will we need an attorney? Sorry about so many questions, we were not very knowledgeable when we purchased.
Thank you for your time,

You said you purchased it from Wyndham in Pagosa Springs? Do you mean from a Wyndham sales weasel? If so get out of it, buy resell and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely get all my money back. If you really want a TS there they are surely available resale for not too much.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
This all happened "last year" which was the last time you heard from them? Have you paid anything since then?

If it was me I would definitely would contact them and demand my money back.

doodlenut

Reaction score
Is all the interest I have paid part of what should be refunded or is that just gone? I wish I had found this before i had gotten caught up on the mortgage payments.
ThankYou for all your help.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is all the interest I have paid part of what should be refunded or is that just gone? I wish I had found this before i had gotten caught up on the mortgage payments.
ThankYou for all your help.

Assuming that the loan was provided by Wyndham, you should receive all of your money back including interest.

If you went a different route (i.e., using a HELOC to fund the purchase), you will likely not be able to recover interest payments without going to court - you may be able to negotiate something with Wyndham but I find it unlikely.

As others have mentioned, be glad this happened. You will likely recover a good chunk of money with or without refund of the interest payments.

-ryan

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham tried to switch you to another deed or program, say no. If they pressure you use the words, "Bait and Switch." That should get their attention. If you need to contact the Colorado's real-estate commission and make a complaint with the state's attorney general's office, do it. That will get their attention. Basically they broke the law by selling you something that wasn't theirs to sell. Even if they somehow correct the problem they still broke the law so hold them accountable You have damages since you weren't able to make a reservation due to their "criminal act." Tell them you were defrauded and want out and your money back or you'll get an attorney.

There have been many people who bought timeshares and realized afterwards they made a big mistake. If everything is what you said, you have an option to get out of it that those people didn't have, but wished they did. Good luck!