• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Grande Ocean

vincenzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have deposited my Aruba Ocean Club with Interval. I locked it off. I exchanged the larger unit for a week in September in Hilton Head at the Marriott Grande Ocean. I am trying to exchange the studio for a week in Hilton Head. I can get the week of November 29th through December 06th at the Marriott Grande. I have never been there at that time of year. What do you think???

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do. It will be too cold to swim in the ocean, and most of the pools are unheated (1 smaller outdoor lap pool is heated and there is an indoor pool). It won't be crowded though, so if golfing is your thing, that will be good. Just bring a jacket and some sweaters. Also, some of the restaurants will be closed because it's off-season.

What's a plat. studio rent in Aruba? II has that week at the Grande Ocean priced at $871 on a getaway, so maybe you'd do better to rent it and pay cash for the getaway.

Last edited:

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to HHI every year for the week between Xmas and New Year's (we also go in the summer) - it's my favorite time of year there. Biking and tennis are the best, then. So much nicer when it's cool. Also better for sightseeing in Savannah. We often see mid-60's and an occasional 70 degree day. To me, that's perfect weather. It does get cool to cold at night, even down to 40's sometimes. I usually layer with heavy sweatshirt and lightweight jacket - never bring a heavy coat, not necessary. Like sernow said, golfing is great that time of year.

If you DO golf, see if there's any availability at Heritage Club. It's not OF but in a very nice location in Sea Pines, has a heated pool, AND includes a GREAT golf package. For swimming in a heated (outdoor) pool in off-season, I like the pool at Surfwatch best, Barony second. They also both have indoor pools.

BTW, I do lay out on the beach sometimes that time of year. Too cold to swim in ocean but warm enough to sometimes lay out in swimsuit when sun is out. Great to walk on beach also.

Last edited:

Steve

Reaction score
When I have vacationed on Hilton Head Island in December (twice), I have not had as good of luck with the weather as the previous poster. It was chilly, overcast, and rainy much of the time. During one week we had one day that was sunny with a high of 70 degrees, but the other days were quite a bit cooler.

The vacations were still fun and I am glad that we went, but it wasn't as enjoyable as being on the island when it is warmer. A lot of places were closed, and it was very quiet. HHI is definitely not as warm as Florida. As long as you have realistic expectations, you should be fine.

Steve

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We went last Xmas staying at the Grande Ocean. We had great time and there are plenty of places open. The lack of crowds makes it more enjoyable and relaxing. We will be going again over New Years week this year.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went last Xmas staying at the Grande Ocean. We had great time and there are plenty of places open. The lack of crowds makes it more enjoyable and relaxing. We will be going again over New Years week this year.

Are you staying again at the Grande Ocean? We have stayed there, Surfwatch, and Barony during New Year's week. We were thinking of trying either Heritage Club (for the golf) or Harbour Club at Harbour Town, just for something different this year. I am seeing availability at them all for that week.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I have vacationed on Hilton Head Island in December (twice), I have not had as good of luck with the weather as the previous poster. It was chilly, overcast, and rainy much of the time. During one week we had one day that was sunny with a high of 70 degrees, but the other days were quite a bit cooler.
Steve

Sorry to hear that Steve. In over 5 years over going down the week between Xmas and New Year's, I don't think we've seen a total of 5 days of rain. We actually see more rain there in the summer, although it is much hotter.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Are you staying again at the Grande Ocean? We have stayed there, Surfwatch, and Barony during New Year's week. We were thinking of trying either Heritage Club (for the golf) or Harbour Club at Harbour Town, just for something different this year. I am seeing availability at them all for that week.

Yes, we got an exchange for the Grande Ocean. We enjoyed it so much we want to go again even with the 16 hour ride.