• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii in October 2015

smitty2445

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking wife to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary next year.We have 81,000 SO from our 2bdrm LO at SPB. Which resort would be the best place to go? Looking for ocean front/view if possible.
This will be our first time there. We are traveling from Ohio.
Thanks, Smitty

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Depends, but with 81K SOs - I would gather that most would say to target WKORVN for an SVN exchange. Make sure you reserve (on-line is possible) at the 8-month mark exactly to assure best location.
It is a great resort in a great location.

I said depends because you also have WPORV - but north Kauai is a whole different experience and does not have direct beach access - but lovely place to be. The Na Pali coast is a 'bucket list' place. (IMO)

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I will add to David's reply that the season you choose to go may be a factor. WPORV is on the north shore and the weather can be pretty rainy and windy in the winter and early spring.

Mauiwmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking wife to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary next year.We have 81,000 SO from our 2bdrm LO at SPB. Which resort would be the best place to go? Looking for ocean front/view if possible.
This will be our first time there. We are traveling from Ohio.
Thanks, Smitty

You will have a fantastic celebration at either spot. I own at both Maui & Princeville and enjoy both locations for different reasons.

As David said, if you are looking for direct beach access and best view, then making a resv at WKORV-North would be your best bet to get a decent chance for an oceanview. October is low season. Trading into North with star options at exactly 8 months prior at 12am EST should allow you a good chance for an oceanview or possibly an oceanfront villa.

Good luck!

Last edited:

smitty2445

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our anniversary is the first week of October so it looks like it will be a great time for us.
Thanks all.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do these places book up fast? I am planning on going next May/June and trying to get the same (Oceanfront) type of location.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
You'll have a much better shot at getting May vs. June. As soon as the kids get out of school, the competition increases tenfold.

October is low season, so you shouldn't have much trouble getting a reservation, though lately it's been more difficult than usual, probably as a result of SO Banking. (Folks who own resorts worth less than 67,100 SOs were never able to compete for even a studio in the past; now owners can accumulate 67,100+ SOs over several years, if need be, in order to compete for these SVN exchanges.)

Irregardless, your best shot at getting an SVN exchange is to book at exactly 8 months out.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you book a studio, note that the south studios do not have balconies for their IV and OV units, but rather Juliet balconies (jut-outs that you can walk out onto, but aren't large enough for a chair.) OF units do have a true balcony, but there's no way to know where you'll be placed until check-in. If a lanai is important to you, then either book on the north side or book a 1 bdrm or larger.

Also, as an exchanger, no matter what sized unit you desire, if you book at the south campus, you may get assigned the dreaded building 4, which is the least desirable building at WKORV. The building is set back the farthest from the ocean and has units that face the parking lot and street. All other buildings on either campus face the ocean. To avoid the possibility of getting Bldg 4 (see link to map below) most exchangers target the north side. (Personally, if it was low season, I might go ahead and chance it, because the units are larger on the south size...)

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/free-...ali-area/westin-kaanapali-ocean-resort-villas

Also, now that we can book any length of stay at 8 months out, armed with 81,000 SOs, smitty2445 will have to decide whether to target a studio or a 1 bdrm. A 1 bdrm will give them a lot more space, including a bathroom with a large jacuzzi tub. However, if they'd be content with a studio, he can add 1-2 more days to onto his trip...

*Studio exchanges cost 6,700 SOs for Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday; 10,075 for Thursday or Sunday; and 13,425 for Friday or Saturday.

Last edited:

smitty2445

TUG Member
Reaction score
LisaRex that's exactly what we are going to do. The two of us do not need the extra room a 1 bdrm offers over a studio. I would rather have a few extra days in Hawaii.
This may be the only time we go to Hawaii. Airfare is the big reason.
We were thinking last night about April instead of October. I'm afraid if I wait until 8 months out for next October there will not be anything available, then I will have to scramble to get a weeks vacation in next yr.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We stayed at WKORVN in September 2013 and booked at 8 months out. No problem getting a one bedroom and we were on the 4th floor with a nice pool/ocean view. The September weather was awesome and we had spectacular sunsets every night. We ate at the Italian restaurant twice and had a lovely dinner both times.

We are trying to go back to Hawaii in September 2015 and although I would prefer to go to Maui again (I am a beach junkie), DH wants to go to Kauai and try Princeville. I have been to Kauai before and would prefer the Poipu area in the south, but alas, no timeshare access there unless I pay OOP. So, those who own/ have visited Princeville, tell me what you like about it and why.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
October is wonderful at both WKORV/N and WPORV - and is not an issue to get into WKORVN (or WKORV) via SVN - just be ready at 8-months out to get best timestamp. You will not end up in B4 via SVN in October (calling well ahead). {under normal conditions}

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This may be the only time we go to Hawaii. Airfare is the big reason. We were thinking last night about April instead of October. I'm afraid if I wait until 8 months out for next October there will not be anything available, then I will have to scramble to get a weeks vacation in next yr.

The reservation window is already open for April. To get your best view, you should book as early as possible. Though, honestly, you shouldn't have any difficulty getting in October if April is wide open.

Or, you could book something for April now and then wait to see if you can get something in October. As long as you cancel outside of the 60 day window, your SOs won't be restricted. And you can apparently now cancel SO reservations online, so that makes it very convenient to shop around.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are trying to go back to Hawaii in September 2015 and although I would prefer to go to Maui again (I am a beach junkie), DH wants to go to Kauai and try Princeville. I have been to Kauai before and would prefer the Poipu area in the south, but alas, no timeshare access there unless I pay OOP.

We traded into the Marriott Waiohai on Poipu Beach Easter 2010. All two-bedroom accomodations. Beautiful beach and central location. I would go there again in a heartbeat.