• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I actually got an offer!!!!!

greenguru1

Reaction score
I was scammed by timeshares only several years ago. Last March I actually made up my mind to get rid of this timeshare and sell it at whatever I can get. I changed my add to under $1000 I got an offer email this morning now what do I do and how do I protect myself? They low balled my price, but I don't care......I want it gone. I never believed I could get rid of it. Help?????
Thanks in advance for any advice.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

Before you do anything, you want to make sure this is a Legit offer and not a scam.

First of all - did the offer come from a company, or an individual? - If a company - what's the name?

Do you feel it is legit? (Was it written in clear English with standard terms offered?)

Does the buyer have a closing/escrow company they want to use? Traditionally the buyer pays for this service. You can pay as little as $100 for a simple deed preparation and recording, or around $350 for a full service closing with escrow.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the offer!

I hope things work out for you. In this market, some resorts can be almost impossible to liquidate so you are wise to seriously consider any offer you receive.

Here are a few bits of advice I hope you find helpful as you proceed. Some of it will simply echo Denise's post (but the warnings are worth reading again!)..

1) Try to determine if the buyer is truly an individual and not simply another reseller in sheep's clothing. Don't pay any more upfront money!

You've already paid Timeshares Only to advertise your property, any brokerages and resellers affiliated with them would earn a commission at closing and not require any additional up front cost to you.. There are numerous "resellers" and "marketers" who make low ball offers pretending to be a buyer, then when you contact, their offer somehow turns out to involve you paying them a fee. If the deal sounds shady- call TSO and ask to be transferred to one of their affiliated brokerages. You can get advice and closing company recommendations. If you get an agent who doesn't seem helpful, ask for someone in management to assist you with your questions. The offer notice you received should also contain a referral to one of their brokerages if you prefer email communication.

2) Get as much info as you can about the ownership transfer process and the related costs involved..

If your buyer isn't savvy- they may not know about these costs. Depending on what you own and the marketability of the timeshare itself, it may be in your interest to also consider paying for a portion of these costs if the buyer gets cold feet.

3) Contact your buyer as soon as possible! Be persistent!

Buyers will often make several offers at the same time for similar properties. Because there are normally far more sellers that buyers, if you snooze- you may lose out on the potential sale!

Again- good luck!

greenguru1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yes it is a legitimate buyer. I called the number and got the business where she worked. She was gone and I talked to her mother (family business). I called back today and talked to the buyer. She still wants the TS. I called Westgate to get the scoop on their First Right of Refusal. We will see how that goes. I will everyone posted.

Shawn

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that Westate ("Wastegate") actually HAS a first right of refusal?

Check with your paperwork to see if it is mentioned there. Some companies have "tried" to claim ROFR (some Pahio/Wyndham properties come to mind) when they don't.

Just trying to give you a "heads-up".

Tony

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
green guru1 - If Westgate exercises ROFR you will still sell your TS - you will just sell it to Westgate instead, so no worries.

But - in this economy, I think Westgate would be crazy to exercise ROFR!

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that Westate ("Wastegate") actually HAS a first right of refusal?

Check with your paperwork to see if it is mentioned there. Some companies have "tried" to claim ROFR (some Pahio/Wyndham properties come to mind) when they don't.

Just trying to give you a "heads-up".

Tony

Good point as Westgate is known to have claimed the ROFR on projects/unit sold years before the ROFR came into effect.

Insist on evidence. don't take their word for it .

K.