• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Road to Hana

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are staying in Maui a week, I would recommend driving the road and staying in the Hana area one night. There are many scenic stops on the way to Hana and great hiking and the Seven Pools. Get Maui revealed as another poster suggested.
The road was not scary to us in the daytime. It is very beautiful. However, the road is scary after dark. We did the return trip after dark the second time we drove to Hana. Never again. There were locals going fast in pick up trucks after dark and lots of blind curves. I would never try to go and return in one day again. We enjoyed it much more when we stayed at the State Park and had time to explore.

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are staying in Maui a week, I would recommend driving the road and staying in the Hana area one night. There are many scenic stops on the way to Hana and great hiking and the Seven Pools. Get Maui revealed as another poster suggested.
The road was not scary to us in the daytime. It is very beautiful. However, the road is scary after dark. We did the return trip after dark the second time we drove to Hana. Never again. There were locals going fast in pick up trucks after dark and lots of blind curves. I would never try to go and return in one day again. We enjoyed it much more when we stayed at the State Park and had time to explore.

I would agree with this. Kinda like staying on the Hilo/Volcano side of the Big Island in order to allow for enough time to explore. One day is really not enough time to do it justice. This allows you to take more time as you come around the island as suggested for hikes, exploring, etc. The Maui Revealed (really all the Revealed books) are excellent in pointing out places that you can really enjoy.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite part of the Road to Hana was the Red Sands Beach and Bamboo Forest. Only because you dont see them very often (Ive never seen that before anywhere) Dont think many tours do those stops. Driving north of Lahaina by the swords teeth and to the banana bread shop......that gets a little scary but the most beautiful part of the island.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My favorite part of the Road to Hana was the Red Sands Beach and Bamboo Forest. Only because you dont see them very often (Ive never seen that before anywhere) Dont think many tours do those stops. Driving north of Lahaina by the swords teeth and to the banana bread shop......that gets a little scary but the most beautiful part of the island.

The drive north of Lahaina is completely separate from the Road to Hana. Don't want the OP to get confused. :D

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score

I loved the Bamboo Forest also and continuing on up the trail to the waterfall.
Red Sands Beach was great also. There are also lots of waterfall stops just off the road to Hana. Our kids were 12 and 14 and we all really enjoyed the area.
I was glad we explored on our own.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did the The Road to Hana Wednesday and a trip to Maui wouldn't be the same for us without that experience. I always suggest to start very early and if you avoid the traffic that really picks up at 9am and beyond you can make it in good time.

We left Kaanapali at 7:45am and as we were leaving Twin Falls there was a tremendous swarm of people we were so happy we were in front of all them.

My 14 yr old son, 19 yr old daughter and gorgeous wife had a tremendous time swimming in the waterfall lagoon at Twins Falls and a few other waterfall lagoons along the way.

This was our first time doing Hana in the summer and I really think it was a better experience because the waterfalls were much more vigorous. Not sure if that was just a fluke or if it is a seasonal thing but it was even better than in the winter.

And the very best part for us is swimming at Hamoa Beach which is right outside of Hana. There is a reason that beach is often rated as one of the best in all the US, it is a slice of paradise.

We went all the way around again and like doing that however past Hana on the back side is very bumpy and even at times treacherous.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing it from a cruise I would probably take the bus. However, I enjoyed the drive immensely although finding Lindbergh's final rest was a bit of a pain. And while I enjoyed the drive, the Mustang we rented seemed to have some sort of drive-train issue by the time we returned. I would LOVE to have that road all to myself sometime!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing it from a cruise I would probably take the bus. However, I enjoyed the drive immensely although finding Lindbergh's final rest was a bit of a pain. And while I enjoyed the drive, the Mustang we rented seemed to have some sort of drive-train issue by the time we returned. I would LOVE to have that road all to myself sometime!

So where the h-ll was Linburgh grave? Our information said left past mile marker 41 but we just saw private roads. Was it at the Hana Horse Stables left turn? We could not find it and didn't want to drive down what appeared to be a private road.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So where the h-ll was Linburgh grave? Our information said left past mile marker 41 but we just saw private roads. Was it at the Hana Horse Stables left turn? We could not find it and didn't want to drive down what appeared to be a private road.

Yes, you have to take the little road alongside the stables to the church to see the graves, including the monkeys. Make sure to walk out the rear to a little park on the cliff, beautiful view. Oh, take a few carrots for the horses, they hang out at the church mooching from the tourists.

RebV

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I affectionately call the road "the road to Hana Hell." I got horrible car sick and it killed the entire day--and this was after taking Dramamine. It is very pretty, but if you are prone to car sickness, medicate or avoid.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's correct. My understanding is it is now private property and while they don't prohibit tourists they don't encourage them either so you just have to drive down there. We tried to be quiet and respectful, no littering or loud voices but I imagine there are some people unloading a van full of kids who wreak havoc, maybe decide to have a picnic and generally are a nuisance so I can understand why it's not marked.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Yes, they will definitely hold the ship if a ship's tour is late.

They will most likely hold the ship if a ship's tour is late.

There are times that they may not. Odds in Hawaii are probably low that they wouldn't.

taffy19

Reaction score
I hope that this link will work for you. Have a look. Click on location as it worked for me.

We have found it on our own once or twice but we have missed it too other times as it is poorly marked.

Last time, we took a mini-van tour and they showed it to us again. It's interesting to see so get one of these books that show you important markers.

My husband had always driven the road to Hana but I recommended taking the tour for him so he could enjoy it too and he saw so much more so enjoyed it.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they will definitely hold the ship if a ship's tour is late. I have seen this happen many times over the years. This is one of the advantages the cruise lines frequently cite for why you should use their tours and not book tours on your own.

This holds true if an shore excursion happens to be around half an hour late, but much more than that and they would be making provisions for the pax to meet up with the ship enroute (or at the next port). Back in college, I had a summer job working for Princess, and on more than one occasion I had the pleasure of tossing luggage from a moving water taxi onto a moving cruise ship.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My husband and I affectionately call the road "the road to Hana Hell." I got horrible car sick and it killed the entire day--and this was after taking Dramamine. It is very pretty, but if you are prone to car sickness, medicate or avoid.

I was also sicker than a dog. Just the thought of doing that road on a bus makes me queasy. None of the public restrooms had toilet paper (thank goodness I brought some kleenexes), and mosquitoes ate us alive at the Arboretum. Besides that, we had a great time!

Actually, I enjoyed the road past Hana much more than I did the road before Hana. I was finally feeling better after stopping in Hana and taking a Dramamine. Hamoa Beach was tons of fun, and the road past Hana was like driving on the moon.

I'd NEVER take that road in a rainstorm, however. The reason that there are unpaved parts is because the asphalt has been swept away by flash floods coming down off Haleakala. If you got caught up in one of these streams, you'd be swept into the ocean and no one would ever even realize you were gone.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
it was like out of a scene from a movie, think Jurassic Park where the IT guy was driving down to the dock... it was just a downpour, torrential rain and we're going back and forth on this dirt road and imagine the Indiana Jones theme playing, da da da da, da da da, da da da da, da da da da daa...the only thing missing was the huge rock ball rolling towards us.

At least you had a JEEP ;)

... there was a section that described what we would encounter up ahead and I kid you not, there they were as you are driving along you come upon numerous cows just standing in the middle of the road. They would not move. If you were coming through at speed you would be dead either from hitting them or running off the road

They made a movie about that ... one of our favourite Hawaii movies.

Last edited:

deettet

Reaction score
Take a car

I get sick enough just in the car. I can't imagine taking a bus and on those narrow roads. With a car you can stop often and sight see. Get the guide book
Maui Revealed and it will tell you about where to stop.