• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sarasota Springs Reservation question

mare

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI - I have a 1 bedroom booked at Saratoga Springs through my timeshare exchange company RCI. I read some reviews today where people were saying that the living room of the 1 bedroom was really small. That when the sofa bed is opened you cannot walk around it, you have to climb over it to get to bathroom or kitchen, etc. My husband and I are taking our nephews, ages 8 and 12. Their father is a single dad and would never be able to do this for them on his own. It was originally just 4 of us, my husband and I and our nephews.
But the other day, their dad was told he could have the week off and wants to come. He is my sister's ex-husband. We have taken day trips with him in the past. We have an estranged relationship with my sister, she does not have any custody or visitation rights to her boys, she has current substance abuse issues. My brother-in-law has allowed us to maintain a relationship with the boys and we are very grateful.

I called Disney and they said that as a courtesy they would allow him to stay in the 1 bedrooom with us.

Has anyone stayed in just the 1 bedroom? With 4 or 5 people? How cramped would it be?

I also have more timeshare time available and could book another unit at a non-disney resort and have some of us stay there. I currently have a 1 bedroom on hold at Grande Villas for the week for only $303. It is about 2 miles away from Saratoga Springs. I also saw some availability at Vacation Villas at Parkway, but they are about 8 miles away.

RCI sent a us an email that if there was any availablility within the 2 weeks prior to our stay they would automatically upgrade us. What is the possibility of that happening?

It would be nice to just all be together. Should we just tough it out?

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you in advance for your reply - Marylouise

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest you book the $303 unit for you and your husband. I would KEEP yourself on the DVC reservation (all 5 of you) for the Extra Magic Hours -- both AM and PM .. the best part of the DVC experience. I would get a DVC resort hangtag for your car and take DVC transportation - meeting the group at SS resort.

I think the trip will be great with just a slightly higher cost - $303 plus the car ... I suggest you even think about a dinner & pool time at your resort for the boys to give Dad an evening "of chilling" time.

Remember, Disney is NOT every person idea of a vacation. I actually booked a DVC week to learn the lay of the PARKS and operation BEFORE taking my 12yo nephew. Because I KNEW options - and all I have to do was keep him secure (he has some anxiety issues) - we had a great trip. A really great trip - wish his parents could have experienced it - other than thru the pictures of our FUN TIME.

And 2 miles --- take it ... just economize in other ways. And take lots of pictures - my sister made a "hard back photobook" of my nephew's trip with me ... as a "take you" gift ... AND we only ate out only ONE meal --- we actually pack a lot of food in our luggage and did not have a car.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another advantage of the 2 units - look over the EMH schedule with the goal of you & your husband taking the 12yo for a sleep over night once and the 8 yo on another night.

Which 12yo wouldn't want to be a Hollywood Studios or Epcot ONLY with Dad to ride the coasters? What 8 yo would not want to do a character breakfast with a pirate? Or 8 yo ride the 'simpler' EMH roller coaster at MK?

I could judge my nephew's interest or con him into stuff - we were "one on one" ---as I have had him multiple 7 night stays during his life. And sometimes we did stuff because there was NOTHING else to ride - Its a Small World and the Living Earth - did both. But we also rode Star Tours 5 times in a row (EMH) because we could. And did 3 times back-to-back Haunted Mansions because he was dead scarred and had no idea where he was - and I kept telling him "Its FUNNY; you have to listen to the WORDS" and ran back inside. And his eyes kept getting BIGGER - on the 3rd time thru; he lied (with the really big eyes) and told me the words are funny. Told him, you are lying, but I let you off for it right now; but we will come back and do this again during the week. I think we did Haunted Mansion 9 times that week -- and by the end of the week, he saw the "funny humor" in the words and the ghosts.

He was 12 years 4 months old at the time of the trip. It was a great trip. And I volunteered us to be bumped off the outbound airplane - $400 future flight voucher ... he asked me what that ($400) was worth (2 more RT trip flights to Disney) and he gave me the THUMBS UP sign with a big grin.

mare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I had same idea about keeping all 5 of us on the DVC reservation to keep all the Disney property perks, like free parking and extra hours. We are really going low budget to be able to treat them to begin with. Now that Dad wants to come, to afford his Disney tickets and possibly roomier accomodations, we are forgoing the Parkhopper and waterpark options. We did however get 5 day base tickets through AAA for only $313, and if you bought at least a 4 day base ticket, you got a one day waterpark pass. That offer was only at the West Chester, PA office and only for tickets purchased by 7/31. We called the 2 other AAA's in our area and they did not have that deal. My husband went and got those today, so that I link them to our magic bands. Thanks for the advice - Marylouise

mare

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are new grandparents this past year and will at some time hopefully be taking our grandchildren to Disney. We have lots of fond memories from taking our 4 children. It is why we bought a timeshare 15 years ago. To be able to afford to take a nice vacation. We've been to several awesome places - Sedona, St John, USVI, Key West, the Outerbanks, etc. Those were some lucky trades. We've also had lots of other great trades.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go with one of the $303 Last Calls.

Regardless of the size of the SSR 1BR, having everyone in one unit would be crowded. In addition, although you would have a bed and a sleeper sofa in the living room -- there is still only one BATHROOM! :eek:

One important thing I would do for BIL is to get him a parking permit for SSR at checkin. They will ask you how many cars you have, so tell them 2 and have his vehicle info handy. They will give you a parking permit for his car for the length of your stay. That parking permit will allow him to come and go to your unit without hassles at the gate.

(It will also get him into theme park parking FREE...;))

With regards to resorts, I'm not familiar with Grande Villas but we stayed at Vacation Village at Parkway on a Last Call just last month. The $303 price there is the "A" side of a 2BR lockoff -- the larger, nicer side with a full kitchen. There will be a nominal $25 "resort fee," but no other charges.

If you can't get Grande Villas, VVP is fine -- decent size, well equipped unit, very convenient dining and shopping (groceries, pharmacies, etc) very nearby. And it's convenient to WDW. Not so much to SSR, but very convenient to WDW.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm staying at Grand Villas briefly beginning tomm. in a one bedroom. I had given a two bedroom to friends last weeks for a few days. Two mothers and their kids (2). I briefly spoke with them and they immensely enjoyed it tomy surprise. t is nice and I guess the ping pong tables and some activities were good for the kids. The pools are good. The rooms are ackward for a one bedroom a seperate kitchenette area with oullout couch and bedroom and larger two sink vanity with ovaltub/jaccuzzi and walk shower separate water closet. Two TV's one is bedroom and one in kitchen area.

evidently their working on some parking area so I am getting it at my cheapest during the week- $12night.(1bdrm) or 75% off roughly.so depends when your going and what size etc. sending you a pm. confirm in your name if.

there is availability now.

mkarizona

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in a SSR one bedroom with 5 adults and it really wasn't a problem. With a twin air mattress on the floor there wasn't a lot of room to navigate around the sleeper sofa but you didn't have to crawl over the sofa. You and your wife would have the bedroom so it would only be the two boys and their dad in the living room. The bedroom has its own shower and sink; the toilet is in a compartment off the room with the shower and another sink, so the only time it is unavailable is when someone is showering. For a budget trip it is definitely doable. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

dlhvac

Reaction score
It is not that cramped animal kingdom lodge kidani villas studios sleep 5 if you can change to a one bedroom villa it is larger
hi - i have a 1 bedroom booked at saratoga springs through my timeshare exchange company rci. I read some reviews today where people were saying that the living room of the 1 bedroom was really small. That when the sofa bed is opened you cannot walk around it, you have to climb over it to get to bathroom or kitchen, etc. My husband and i are taking our nephews, ages 8 and 12. Their father is a single dad and would never be able to do this for them on his own. It was originally just 4 of us, my husband and i and our nephews.
But the other day, their dad was told he could have the week off and wants to come. He is my sister's ex-husband. We have taken day trips with him in the past. We have an estranged relationship with my sister, she does not have any custody or visitation rights to her boys, she has current substance abuse issues. My brother-in-law has allowed us to maintain a relationship with the boys and we are very grateful.

I called disney and they said that as a courtesy they would allow him to stay in the 1 bedrooom with us.

Has anyone stayed in just the 1 bedroom? With 4 or 5 people? How cramped would it be?

I also have more timeshare time available and could book another unit at a non-disney resort and have some of us stay there. I currently have a 1 bedroom on hold at grande villas for the week for only $303. It is about 2 miles away from saratoga springs. I also saw some availability at vacation villas at parkway, but they are about 8 miles away.

Rci sent a us an email that if there was any availablility within the 2 weeks prior to our stay they would automatically upgrade us. What is the possibility of that happening?

It would be nice to just all be together. Should we just tough it out?

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you in advance for your reply - marylouise

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
If you go into it with clear "rules" about bedtimes and acknowledge differences in getting up times no matter how cramped you are at Disney and it will be fun.
Go with the right attitude (which it sounds like you have) and the correct focus(fun at Disney) and all the other things are not as important. We have stayed there, it will be fine. It's about memories, even if it's "remember when we went to Disney and we only had one Br?". My dad had 11 sisters and2 brothers and only one bathroom!