• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Seas Resort - Diamond Resorts International - Daytona Beach

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year Club Navigo (Island One) was purchased by DRI. We owned one week at Grand Seas Resort that was converted to Club Navigo points; so we were then DRI points owners. Grand Seas is not a DRI resort, though, because it withdrew from Club Navigo sometime before the change in ownership.

DRI was not able to tell us what the new (2014) membership fees were until now (May 1, 2014). I just checked the account today and it tells me the 2014 membership fee for our week is $349. This is increased from the $149 we paid in 2013.

Now back in February 2014 we deeded our week back to Grand Seas Resort. The public record still does not reflect this change out of our names. I check daily and Grand Seas legal department tells us it will take 90 days which will pass May 19th.

I was concerned that the fees would increase with the change to DRI and it seems they have more than doubled. In hindsight, converting our floating week to points was the worse decision we could have made. I will let everyone know just as soon as I find that our names are off the deed in the public record. That is the only way we can be completely free from the fees.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's an update. We have been checking weekly to see if they removed our name from the public record and so far no. When I call, it's been difficult to get a person on the phone. When I do, I'm told that they bulk process these transactions and it can take 6 months before they're done.

Well, it's past 6 months and now I read this bankruptcy notice http://insidethegate.com/ads/GrandSeasAuction.htm

Will update when there's more to tell.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year Club Navigo (Island One) was purchased by DRI. We owned one week at Grand Seas Resort that was converted to Club Navigo points; so we were then DRI points owners. Grand Seas is not a DRI resort, though, because it withdrew from Club Navigo sometime before the change in ownership.

DRI was not able to tell us what the new (2014) membership fees were until now (May 1, 2014). I just checked the account today and it tells me the 2014 membership fee for our week is $349. This is increased from the $149 we paid in 2013.

Now back in February 2014 we deeded our week back to Grand Seas Resort. The public record still does not reflect this change out of our names. I check daily and Grand Seas legal department tells us it will take 90 days which will pass May 19th.

I was concerned that the fees would increase with the change to DRI and it seems they have more than doubled. In hindsight, converting our floating week to points was the worse decision we could have made. I will let everyone know just as soon as I find that our names are off the deed in the public record. That is the only way we can be completely free from the fees.

2014-THE Club(R) Dues 204.00 .00 204.00
2014-U.S. Base Standard Assessment 215.00 .00 215.00
point fee's approx. per point $0.141 US collection

those were the fees for DRI points in the Club last year. The club adds flexibility. Did you actually become a member of the Club without paying a fee conversion?
I own points and weeks (of which are allotted points). Diamond took over the resort from Sunterra (took over meaning managing) and they set up sales to convert people if they wanted to DRI points "the Club". But that costs $$$$. If one did not do that, then they continued to own their simple interest deeded week. If I don't want to be in the club, I can exit and return to my deeded weeks.

this resort in Daytona is where they manage on the beach and is very nice is this one:
https://www.diamondresorts.com/Daytona-Beach-Regency

I wouldn't doubt the fee's will go up for any owner, DRI or not, for that location given Grand Seas' finances evidenced by its bankruptcy filing.

I don't think this reflects on Diamond but Grand Seas. And who withdrew from Club Navigo- Diamond? As manager or did Club Navigo bid adieu to GS.

I confused, I think:ponder:

Last edited:

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Grand Seas in bankruptcy?

A link on Perspective Magazine shows Grand Seas Resort involved in a bankruptcy auction. Could your issues be related? I don't know, it is identified as an operating resort.

Here is the info from that link:

Bankruptcy Auction: Operating Timeshare Resort and Related Assets Grand Seas Resort, Daytona Beach, FL

Stalking Horse Bid Deadline: August, 29, 2014
Bid Deadline: September 5, 2014
Auction: September 10, 2014

For access to a dataroom with details on the financials, property, executory contracts, bid procedures, etc., please execute the confidentiality agreement available in the Documents section, and email the executed document to the contacts listed above.

Grand Seas Resort was originally built in 1962 as a hotel and in 1999 completed a major back to the shell renovation and conversion to a 174 unit timeshare resort. It has had additional renovations since conversion.

Grand Seas Resort Unsold Timeshare Inventory

• Total Available: 823 Intervals

• Breakdown by Size –

Studio: 365.0

1 Bedroom: 361.5

2 Bedroom: 68.0

Townhouse: 28.5

Parcel A Grand Seas Resort: Vacant Lot with Lights/Sea Wall

• Parcel #: 42252900000A

• Land Size: 0.30 Acres

Parcel B Grand Seas Resort: Existing Sales Center

• Size: 1,880 SF

• Land: 0.04 Acres

Parcel C Grand Seas Resort: Restaurant & Offices

• Size: 7,825 SF

• Land: 0.19 Acres

• Dba – Gilligan’s Restaurant

Potential to Negotiate for additional intervals:

• Negotiate a transaction with lender for up to 1,000 intervals

• Negotiate a transaction with HOA for up to 2,000 intervals

Potential for Management Contract:

• Negotiate a new management contract with HOA

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our deeded Grand Seas floating week was converted to Club Navigo points on the public record. We did foolishly pay for that conversion.

Then GS decided it didn't want to partner with CN anymore. We still owned a GS deed encumbered with Club Navigo points. We could only reserve at GS by calling CN and they had to call GS for the reservation because GS was never even in the CN computer system.

CN went bankrupt and was taken by DRI.

Our CN points were automatically converted to DRI points and the CN resorts became a DRI group. We have yet to receive a letter or bill from DRI reflecting the status of our new account with them, but I can log in to an online account there. We have not been billed for any conversion to their system.

Now GS has gone bankrupt and been bought by something called Explorer Resorts or something like that.

Two weeks ago I went and spoke with the GS resort manager about our problem. She said she'd research it and call me. And I did receive a call from their legal department the next day. I was told that they have our paperwork, it's in order, and the deed will be recorded out of our names in "30 to 90 days".

So we set the waiting clock again and hope it's not just a stall tactic.

I wonder if, in all cases of weeks converted to points, the conversion actually encumbers the deed in the public record?

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
GS

Heading to GS for a few days during the Christmas holidays. Looking forward to learning more.

Stephen

tspoints

Reaction score
I would love to discuss this with you an any other owners of the Grand Seas/Club Navigo points system. What a mess!!