• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's a good price for Wyndham Grand Desert?

robhbev1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Background - Currently own 154,000 annual points at the Wyndham Grand Desert, which I purchased for resale about 7 years ago. We have used the timeshare to travel to Hawaii, Florida, Georgia, and Las Vegas many of times. I want to purchase additional points because we recently had to borrow points from 2017 for a stay in Vegas in Feb. 2016, which leaves us with a balance of 44,000 points and 14 housekeeping credits for 2017. We also own a week at Tahiti Village in Vegas, small unit, odd years, using it to trade in RCI. Looking to purchase 154,000 odd years at the Grand Desert beginning in 2017, MF about $40 a month. This currently fits in my vacation budget. Closing costs and transfer fees would be paid by seller. Is $550 too much to pay for 154,000 odd year points at the Grand Desert?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Background - Currently own 154,000 annual points at the Wyndham Grand Desert, which I purchased for resale about 7 years ago. We have used the timeshare to travel to Hawaii, Florida, Georgia, and Las Vegas many of times. I want to purchase additional points because we recently had to borrow points from 2017 for a stay in Vegas in Feb. 2016, which leaves us with a balance of 44,000 points and 14 housekeeping credits for 2017. We also own a week at Tahiti Village in Vegas, small unit, odd years, using it to trade in RCI. Looking to purchase 154,000 odd years at the Grand Desert beginning in 2017, MF about $40 a month. This currently fits in my vacation budget. Closing costs and transfer fees would be paid by seller. Is $550 too much to pay for 154,000 odd year points at the Grand Desert?

$500-$1000 on recent EBay auctions for EOY, closing paid by Seller. Here's one that is offered now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/168-000-Biennial-odd-Wyndham-Points-Grand-Desert-Las-Vegas-Timeshare-for-Sale-/191686719479?hash=item2ca16b37f7

If you don't know about sniping, check out ezsniper before you bid.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Here is an insight into the M/F being quoted in the above auction. I believe that what is stated is too high. I currently have a large Grand Desert contract where the M/F/1000 points is $4.92. This auction is stating that the 168k biennial M/F is $517.44, or $6.16/1000 annually.

What conditions could make this great a difference? 1) Frequently, there is a variation within a resort in the M/F/1000 depending upon the type of unit, but not anywhere near this much. 2) The auction states that the fee is paid monthly. If this is the case, the fee could contain an $8/month charge for paying monthly. 3) The account may have only one contract in it, so it is being assessed the minimum program fee, and not $0.56/1000 points. This could add almost $80 to the annual M/F.

I don’t think that all three of these are the case, but I do suggest that you ask the seller for the components that go into the M/F, so that you can make a determination of what your maximum bid should be. Since the seller is paying all of the closing and transfer fees, this is an attractive auction up to a point.

I am not interested in this property, but if I were, given what I think is going on, my maximum bid would be no more than $450. But, then again, I am looking to make a profit on the property once I have it. In your case, maybe a bid as high at $600 might be okay. But, I suggest that you do no bid higher. And, above all, don’t get into a bidding war. Determine your maximum bid and snipe it.

Good luck with this one or any other one that you look at..

Jim

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an insight into the M/F being quoted in the above auction. I believe that what is stated is too high. I currently have a large Grand Desert contract where the M/F/1000 points is $4.92. This auction is stating that the 168k biennial M/F is $517.44, or $6.16/1000 annually.

What conditions could make this great a difference? 1) Frequently, there is a variation within a resort in the M/F/1000 depending upon the type of unit, but not anywhere near this much. 2) The auction states that the fee is paid monthly. If this is the case, the fee could contain an $8/month charge for paying monthly. 3) The account may have only one contract in it, so it is being assessed the minimum program fee, and not $0.56/1000 points. This could add almost $80 to the annual M/F.

I don’t think that all three of these are the case, but I do suggest that you ask the seller for the components that go into the M/F, so that you can make a determination of what your maximum bid should be. Since the seller is paying all of the closing and transfer fees, this is an attractive auction up to a point.

I am not interested in this property, but if I were, given what I think is going on, my maximum bid would be no more than $450. But, then again, I am looking to make a profit on the property once I have it. In your case, maybe a bid as high at $600 might be okay. But, I suggest that you do no bid higher. And, above all, don’t get into a bidding war. Determine your maximum bid and snipe it.

Good luck with this one or any other one that you look at..

Jim

The club fee minimum ($128 or $132?) could also be playing a small part in the overall $/K rate.

That said, resellers are notoriously inaccurate in their reported MFs. They don't have (or take) time to research each contract they take on, and often rely on the word of mouth of their client, who may be guesstimating.

The Dolphin's Cove contract I took on was advertised at $1,100 MF per use year. I researched it myself and found it to actually be $709 before I decided to take it.

For the linked listing, I calculate $434.44 annually, taking the Club Fee minimum into account. That's excluding "convenience fees" for billing, which can be avoided with automatic payment. For the OP, It would be $416.64 considering he would exceed the club minimum with his contracts.

My calc was using the slightly higher (by 6c/K) Tower 3 rate. Grand Desert is all UDI, so there is only one rate for all but Tower 3, and one separate rate for Tower 3.

Last edited: