• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mixing resale points with developer points

ricknhsv

Reaction score
I just got back from Majestic Sun in Destin, FL and went to an owners update. The sales guy told me that if I bought a small points package that the new reservation software will not distinguish between resale and the developer points. He tried to get me to buy 80,000 points for $15,000. I figured it was the normal salesman BS and I turned him down of course because I'm very happy with my resale points. He then asked why I came to the meeting because I knew that they were going to try and sell me something. He seemed a little upset with me, but oh well. :)

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea on the 60 day window, in the 10 month window and anywhere else you can book your resale. It wasn't even a good price. Ha ha!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Majestic Sun in Destin, FL and went to an owners update. The sales guy told me that if I bought a small points package that the new reservation software will not distinguish between resale and the developer points. He tried to get me to buy 80,000 points for $15,000. I figured it was the normal salesman BS and I turned him down of course because I'm very happy with my resale points. He then asked why I came to the meeting because I knew that they were going to try and sell me something. He seemed a little upset with me, but oh well. :)

Even if that's true (and there some truth in what was said) I wonder what the salesman would say the advantage is that you would get with such a small number of developer points

Next time tell the sales man that you were pretty sure it was a sales presentation but the guy at the desk assured you it was purely an educational one

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think he was trying to imply that your status would be determined by the total number of points in your account as long as some of the points were retail. That is not true. Your points ( all of your points) would have the same advantage of an account with 80,000 retail points in it. There are no advantages to owning 80,000 retail points that you don't already have with your resale points.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a $1.875/1000 points. That's as close to retail at 225

Last edited:

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Sales people are hearing the word "resale" more and more. Being behind the curve on "peeps like us" they are trying to salvage time spent with a "small package of points" shot across your bow, before bunting on to the next group of lambs.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
80,000 points is not enough for any kind of status. As someone already said, status comes with the developer purchase of points, which starts at over 4X the points he was offering. Maybe it's even more than that. I don't know.

The developer points + resale points do not add together to get status. Wyndham considers resale points to be garbage, but we all know they are not.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I bought retail in 2013, they were still offering permanent VIP status for pic. Wyndham used my 2 1 bdrms (Vida) for pic and I bought 190,000 points to become silver. It would be interesting to find out if one could use a resale in the same situation as one's pic.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
..<snip>. It would be interesting to find out if one could use a resale in the same situation as one's pic.

No. Resale points are called "dirty" by some in the sales department. A PIC week is used by Wyndham as a deposit INTO RCI in lieu of a Wyndham unit being deposited.

With resale Wyndham points, Wyndham SALES department has made NO PROFIT off your buying those points ... WHY would they want to REWARD you with a HIGHER VIP status?

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Resale points are called "dirty" by some in the sales department. A PIC week is used by Wyndham as a deposit INTO RCI in lieu of a Wyndham unit being deposited.

With resale Wyndham points, Wyndham SALES department has made NO PROFIT off your buying those points ... WHY would they want to REWARD you with a HIGHER VIP status after you shot them the pointer?
I was trying to say if u had say a 2 bedroom with Marriott that was bought resale if that would qualify for pic?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO ... it would NOT as Marriott trades via II ... all PICs must be RCI Weeks units.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK let's say a resale that trades through RCI now o wonder if you could use that for PIC?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK let's say a resale that trades through RCI now o wonder if you could use that for PIC?

Yes, Wyndham has no way of knowing, and doesn't care, how you acquired an interval you submit for PIC.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
So in theory if you had 2, a 3 bedroom and a two bedroom to PIC, and the 80,000 points, that would be enough for silver VIP, awild stretch of the truth bit possible

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

With resale Wyndham points, Wyndham SALES department has made NO PROFIT off your buying those points ... WHY would they want to REWARD you with a HIGHER VIP status after you shot them the pointer?

They already made the profit the first time when the contract was sold retail to the original owner. Why should they get to profit twice?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
PIC is a non-Wyndham property which trades in RCI. Its Wyndham point value is assigned by bedroom size and RCI season of the unit.

I have 2 PRIME season 2/2 units which are PIC'ed. I get 154,000 points for each and those points count towards my VIP status level (308,000). These PIC'ed weeks were NOT brought thru Wyndham BUT I could ONLY add them to my account by buying direct points Wyndham points.

NOW PIC weeks are limited to 5 years being in an account. When their life as a PIC eligible unit ends ... so would those points counting towards VIP level. PIC is now MORE like of a "BONUS Points thing" - giving access to VIP for a few years. It is a Marketing - sales tool program.

The 2 weeks I PIC'ed were brought off eBay for under $500 each. They are NOT at Wyndham properties ... just RCI Weeks units.