• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Atlantis Harborside Dining Plan Opinions

gigi1313

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Atlantis dining plan? We are a group of seven and I'm really undecided. It would be nearly $4,000 for our entire stay, two meals per day, at specific restaurants.

Any recent experience, pros/cons, thoughts and ideas would be welcomed!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how much you eat!

7 days x 7 people x 2 meals/day = 98 meals. That come to $40.81/meal. I don't know if that plan includes drinks, but it seems a little high unless everybody eats a lot.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We did it once, and were sorry we did. The full breakfast buffet every morning, and every dinner included the soup, salad, entre, and dessert. It was expensive, and we felt like pigs. There was no sense in bringing home the leftovers, because you got full meals every day and there was no need for them. I can't handle eating all that food. I know, you can say "don't eat so much", but when you're paying $200 a day for it, who's gonna turn it away? Plus, we were limited to certain restaurants, when there were others we wanted to go to.

Last edited:

gigi1313

Reaction score
Thanks... We are biggish eaters (4 of our seven are teen/20-something's), so the multi-courses is not an issue... And I learned by calling that we don't have to do the plan for every night of our stay, which may work better (give us time to eat those leftovers! LOL). The math of $/meal is very helpful! So, still undecided!

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Meal plan

I would pass on it. The portions in the Italian restaurant included with the package are huge and dinning is family style, you will have leftovers for a few days. While dinning is expensive in Nassau, there are a number of more reasonable and excellent choice if you leave paradise island and go into Nassau.

You can also take the shuttle and go to the grocery store and stock up on food for breakfast and lunch.

gigi1313

Reaction score
We are not really planning on leaving the resort... We've btdt visiting Nassau on cruise stops... Is the grocery store less expensive than FoodStore2Go? Their prices are scaring me right towards the dining plan!

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
I know the prices are higher than at home, but I have found that going to the grocery store for breakfast and lunch items was beneficial. Plus, gives you the ability to pick up drinks and snacks which are nice to have in the unit during down time or when lounging at the nearby pool.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
A huge reason that I prefer timeshares over hotel rooms is the ability to make your own meals. Not only can you save a bunch of money doing it this way, but you tend not to eat as much, and certainly not as much junk food, when you eat at home.

What I don't like about meal plans:

1) You are limited to certain restaurants. Who wants that kind of limitation? I don't want to plan my activities around pre-paid meals, or even free meals. The joys of traveling include both exploring the broader area AND eating at local restaurants. Meal plans stymie both of these.

2) I tend to book a lot of activities, such as land tours and snorkeling trips, so we're either physically away from the resort during meal time, or breakfast and/or lunch is included in the activity.

3) Meal plans include breakfast. I don't know about your family, but our family wakes up at different times, so we tend to eat when we get up. It'd be a minor PITA to have to wait to eat until everyone was awake and dressed, then assemble to go to breakfast together. So I actually PREFER eating breakfast in the condo.

Plus, when you isolate the cost of breakfast, the ridiculously high cost becomes even more visible.

For instance, on vacation, this is our grocery list for one week for our family of 4: coffee, juice, 2 dozen eggs, veggies for omelets (mushrooms, green onions, 1 tomato, 1 red pepper), ~3 pounds of potatoes, 1 pound of sausage, 1 pound of bacon, 6 bagels, 8 oz of cream cheese, a quart of vanilla yogurt, margarine, and a boatload of fresh fruit.

Even if we bought this at the most ridiculously overpriced on-site resort grocery store, in order to justify buying a meal plan, that grocery bill for just those items would have to exceed $1100, which is what $40pp per meal per day comes out to. Even if you juggle the numbers around, and figure that you're spending ~$10pp per day for breakfast, then that balloons the cost of the other two meals to an average over $55 per meal.

Last edited:

gigi1313

Reaction score
LisaRex, you have convinced me to decline the dining plan! I'm going to pack some cereal, pancake mix, snacks and pb&j... Our local grocery has English muffins on sale buy one/get two free, so I will take those along and I will pick up eggs, ham, sausage, bacon along with water and milk.

I've decided that we will have breakfast in our unit, lunch is "on your own," as all the older kids can either buy or make their own lunches (leftovers!), and dh/I will cover the youngest and ourselves, and for anyone wanting to come to dinner with us, we will buy! Even if dinner for seven of us is $400/night (which I think is on the high side for every night), for our five nights that is "only" $2grand. Less than if we had dining plan, and no strings attached!

Thanks all!

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might enjoy my "extreme meal planning / packing" thread from our trip to Atlantis a few years ago:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164299

We spent about $250 on groceries for the week (for a family of 5), packing most of it in a single checked bag, and buying just the local items, fruits, water, and things that would have been hard to transport.

Looking at your pack/buy lists, the one thing I would probably add to pick up on the way is fruit. If I remember right, I think their local fruits were relatively reasonable, and fruit is always great for breakfasts and snacks. Also, coming from NY, the grocery prices won't be quite as much of a sticker shock for you.

gigi1313

Reaction score
Thanks! I read your extreme thread, and did not think it that extreme, thought it pretty normal, which in reality probably makes me already pretty extreme!
Yes, definitely add fruit to our local grocery list, as that is something our family really enjoys! I already have water "in my cart" for grocery delivery, although I am going to check out Staples delivery policy to Bahamas.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LisaRex, you have convinced me to decline the dining plan!

I think that's wise. While I can certainly see the convenience of having a prepaid meal plan, I think that they've priced it way too high.

Like MichaelConley, I routinely freeze and bring meat from home with us on vacation, though other posters think it's crazy to do this. I'm not stingy when it comes to spending money, but I hate feeling like I'm wasting my money. And when I have x dollars budgeted for a vacation, I'd much rather direct that money towards memorable activities, such as night manta ray snorkel trips or bike rides down Haleakala or private charters than on food.

With HRA not offering grills, I'd alter what I brought (I'd regrettably ditch the ribeyes), but I'd definitely bring along food, especially things like peanut butter and jelly, cereal, coffee, packets of sugar. With 7 of you traveling, just a few items per person added to their luggage will save you a fortune.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went on a girl's trip for 4th of July and considered getting meal plan for my 8 yo and myself. One negative is the breakfast offerings were not very convenient for us. It looked like The Pointe at HRA was only an option for dinner so would have to get on shuttle to find breakfast. Not enough of a morning person to go search for food when a Pop Tart in my pjs will do :) i packed things like breakfast items, canned chicken for chicken salad, mac n cheese, condiments. The rest we ordered from Food Store 2 Go - and I would highly recommend the locally made cheese croissants. We could have eaten those every day. We went to Virgil's bbq (you will have leftovers) and the deli. My room charges were less than a $1000 for the week and most were for the Kids activities, including kids culinary classes and $300 for the Ultimate Jr Trainer. I'd rather splurge on activities than dining out when I'm with my daughter. The only bad thing about eating in is there are no ovens so that rules out pizza bagels etc. I did find that there is a Nassau restaurant Montagu Gardens that gets great reviews that will pick you up and drop off via taxi. Didn't get to try this time but will consider for future since we haven't gone exploring outside Atlantis yet. I think the Atlantis dining plan is more about convenience than saving money, we stopped at Disney on the next leg of the trip (I know it's a dream vacation Atlantis and Disney) and the Disney dining plan was a must do for us and a good value.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not really planning on leaving the resort... We've btdt visiting Nassau on cruise stops... Is the grocery store less expensive than FoodStore2Go? Their prices are scaring me right towards the dining plan!
The grocery store over the bridge turn left is nice. A Bahamian Whole Foods.

Whole foods ish pricing but good quality and nice organic lines.

Take two cabs. One there and ask the checkout staff to order a return. No waiting time $ also the liquor and beer store is the opposite side of the strip mall so get beer and adult beverages while you are there. You can pack this in a pool cooler to save on the Atlantis bar bill.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also with food in luggage pay a sky cap to help with your baggage and you whizz through customs.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
On tip I read online: if you take grocery shuttle, bring a suitcase on wheels. Makes it easier to haul water, beverages and groceries back to room. I thought that was a keeper. You are going to have so much fun!

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
my 2 cents

Having gone there last year with 8 adults, I would do things differently. I brought or bought 4 nights of dinner food and 7 days of breakfast and lunch food and snacks, etc. the rest of the time we ate at Atlantis. I had a lot of stuff left and I left it for the maids.

Next time, I will bring or buy lunch meats & breakfast meats and bread chips drinks, etc. then we will go out for dinner strategically and go out one night eat leftovers the next. The Italian place and the bbq place for sure. There is also a take out Chinese place that supposedly delivers, and pizza one night, and burgers and finally one fancy dinner. Taking less food and more money of course!

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
On tip I read online: if you take grocery shuttle, bring a suitcase on wheels. Makes it easier to haul water, beverages and groceries back to room. I thought that was a keeper. You are going to have so much fun!

You seemed to have missed beer in your list. Just trying to help :D

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we had a 1 year old with us, we had a stroller. The wheeled suitcase would work great, too!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One thing I just learned about the Atlantis meal plans is that folks covered under a particular meal plan have to eat at the same restaurant at the same time. IOW, no separations.

This would be another "deal breaker" for me because I have adult kids and we're not necessarily attached at the hip on vacation.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister in law won't go back to Harborside because of the dining plan. She arranges their family's vacations and logistics. As a result, she knows the full cost of the dining plan. Well, it turned out that both her kids and husband frequently "under ate" their meals compared to the average meal cost of the meal plan. So she tried to make up for it by eating an extra amount. As a result, she has horrible memories of the entire trip because she remembers feeling sick because of constantly overeating during their vacation!

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Eat at Carmine's the first night and you'll have enough leftovers for the next 3 nights!