• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to tell when Starpoints will Expire?

soccermom5

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a way to tell when Starpoints acquired through SVN at time of developer purchase will expire? (yes, I know... I found this site about 2 years too late!) I've looked all over SPG website and then called. The rep said it was a "manual" process and she could send me a "master statement" that would give me all activity since inception and I can calculate it. It's coming via snail mail in 7-10 days but it seems like there must be a way to find out this info? Anyone cracked the code on this?

Thanks in advance for help.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything from the developer expires at 6 years...

soccermom5

Reaction score
Thanks. I should have been more clear. I know that they expire after 6 years but I did buy a couple sets of starpoints as well as an explorer package at one point. I just don't have a record of when/how many or for that matter when I've used them or how many have been used.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Don't over accumulate SPs - they devalue over time.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a way to tell when Starpoints acquired through SVN at time of developer purchase will expire? (yes, I know... I found this site about 2 years too late!) I've looked all over SPG website and then called. The rep said it was a "manual" process and she could send me a "master statement" that would give me all activity since inception and I can calculate it. It's coming via snail mail in 7-10 days but it seems like there must be a way to find out this info? Anyone cracked the code on this?

Thanks in advance for help.

Log into your SPG account and look under "my activity". On that screen you can refine your search as far back as three years. Beyond that, perhaps you'll have to wait until you receive the master statement from SPG? Please let us know, if you've "cracked the code". CJ

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I think what soccermom is asking is how to determine the expiration date of your Starpoints, similar to how airline miles have a clear and obvious expiration date. This is something I have wondered as well, but have not found a way to determine. Even calling SPG and asking has been fruitless.

I don't think anybody really knows how or if expiration is calculated, although popular consensus is that points are used according to the soonest expiration dates.

Perhaps a better question is, has anybody ever actually had Starpoints expire?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what soccermom is asking is how to determine the expiration date of your Starpoints, similar to how airline miles have a clear and obvious expiration date. This is something I have wondered as well, but have not found a way to determine. Even calling SPG and asking has been fruitless.

I don't think anybody really knows how or if expiration is calculated, although popular consensus is that points are used according to the soonest expiration dates.

Perhaps a better question is, has anybody ever actually had Starpoints expire?
I agree with the popular consensus that points are used according to the soonest expiration dates. When I spoke with a rep several months ago about our points, she confirmed that theory. She also mentioned that six months before any points expire, an e-mail is sent to the account holder to remind them to use those points.

soccermom5

Reaction score
Just thought I'd provide an update. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an e-mail from Starwood this morning with an attached Excel file containing all the details! There are no expiration dates listed but every transaction had a date and it was pretty easy to sort the file for points earned from the developer and net that against points used. The good news is that I don't have any ready to expire anytime soon -- guess I use them more frequently than I think I do!

godslaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV SDO
Round and around we go!

I spent this afternoon talking with SVN and SPG about any expiring points (I was concerned about the ones I received when I purchased in 2009)

1. Called SPG who told me that they couldn't send me a master list and to call SVN

2. Called SVN who told me that the master list comes from SPG but they looked at my account and could approximate how many points I have expiring. Told me that points expire at the end of the calendar year in which you get them

3. Called SPG back and spoke to someone different who fulfilled my master list request (will receive it via mail), but had no idea that any points expire after 6 years. Once he checked on that info he then told me that "email" about expiring points should go out by the end of the year and that they are working on notifying people when points expire but sometimes it's more difficult since people change their email address.... ok...right...:eek: And that SVN points expire after 6 years on the exact date of when you got them

He then let me know that the only way for me to figure it out is to look at my master list and calculate it myself.

So, maybe it's safe to assume that since SPG/SVN can't tell you what/when points expires, then they don't expire....

We'll see!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never held on to points long enough for them to expire, but when I got a lot of points from a developer purchase in the early 2000's, I ended up making some reservations that I later had to cancel and the points were reinstated. Sometime later I checked on the expiration date of points, and I was told I didn't have any that were going to expire. Apparently, once the points were reinstated, they no longer had an expiration date. This was several years ago, so things might have changed.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
FYI, here are the T&Cs quote on the MSC.com page, including information perhaps not commonly known (bolding mine):

Terms and Conditions

Starwood Vacation Network members must be current in their maintenance fees, taxes, and network dues at the time the Starpoint conversion is requested. When requesting Starpoint conversion of a future Use Year, pre-payment of the estimated maintenance fees, taxes and network dues associated with the future Use Year is also required.

Starwood Vacation Ownership may withhold the deposit into or remove the deposit of Starpoints from your Starwood Preferred Guest account if you become delinquent in the payment of maintenance fees, taxes, settlement charges, special assessments or any other charge.

Starpoint conversion can be requested as early as the Use Year prior to the Use Year being converted and no later than March 31 of the Use Year being converted for Starwood Vacation Network members, July 1 of the Use Year being converted for 3-Star Elite members, and October 1 of the Use Year being converted for 4- and 5-Star Elite members.

Starpoint conversion can be requested in non-consecutive Use Years with the exception of Elite members who may convert each Use Year. Lockoff villas may be converted as the entire lockoff or as individual lockoff components.

Only full vacation weeks (7 consecutive nights) may be converted to Starpoints. Conversion of your vacation week into Starpoints is a final transaction and cannot be reversed for use in the Starwood Vacation Network program.

Any Starpoints issued from Starwood Vacation Ownership expire 6 years from the date of issue.

Starpoints from the conversion of your vacation week are not awarded for, and may not redeemed for stays at Starwood Vacation Ownership resorts.

Starpoints that have been awarded under the Starpoints conversion program will be terminated if the Owner sells the Vacation Ownership Interest associated with the conversion prior to the expiration of the Use Year converted.
Please refer to your Starpoints Disclosure Statement for the complete General Terms and Conditions related to the Starpoints conversion program.

The SPG Program Terms and Conditions govern the manner in which you may use the SPG program and any Starpoints awarded. For additional information regarding the SPG program, please visit spg.com or call 888 625 4990.

https://www.mystarcentral.com/spg/starpoints_tutorial.jsp