• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Average SPG Amex Annual Spend

Reaction score
OK, then. Cost of points depends on method of accumulation.

• SPG credit card costs > $0.02/SP because plenty of other cards will pay you 2% straight cash.
  • Direct purchase costs $0.027-$0.035/SP depending on the promotion.
  • Conversion of SVO units costs a minimum of $0.014/SP but much more for most ownerships.
  • Starpoints certificates cost $0.019/SP.
  • Staying at hotels has various costs/SP.
Not sure how much more analysis one can do to determine the costs of obtaining Starpoints.

Whether or not to exercise a given option depends on (1) how many Starpoints you have available; (2) how many Starpoints you anticipate using within a given time period; and (3) the redemption value of the Starpoints you anticipate using.

So your hierarchy of purchasing/redemption, if you need additional SPG Points should be:
a. Convert SOptions
b. Starpoints Certificates
c. SPG Credit Card
d. Direct purchase

Based on your own calculations, would you say you generally convert SOptions first, if you need some SPoints?

That doesn't really match up to the premise of not converting your SOptions, as this would directly contradict the opinion of most TUGgers. (unless you have a higher/better use on your SOptions).

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what a 5* PFL is. Can you clarify?

5* = 5 Star Elite level in the Starwood Vacation Network program
PFL = Platinum for Life in the Starwood Preferred Guest hotel program, a benefit of being 5 Star Elite. You can achieve Platinum status by staying a certain number of nights at Starwood hotels every year.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
5* = 5 Star Elite level in the Starwood Vacation Network program
PFL = Platinum for Life in the Starwood Preferred Guest hotel program, a benefit of being 5 Star Elite. You can achieve Platinum status by staying a certain number of nights at Starwood hotels every year.

...And PFL is a misnomer because you're not Platinum for Life. You're platinum for as long as you own the minimum # of SOs required to achieve 5* elite status. This means that you've sunk tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars into developer purchases and thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars in annual MFs. It's also possible that this perk will end should the relationship between Vistana and Starwood end.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
...And PFL is a misnomer because you're not Platinum for Life. You're platinum for as long as you own the minimum # of SOs required to achieve 5* elite status. This means that you've sunk tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars into developer purchases and thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars in annual MFs. It's also possible that this perk will end should the relationship between Vistana and Starwood end.

Some of us tuggers are actually Platinum for Life based not only on 5* elite status, but because of the numbers of nights at hotels along with years of platinum status. Even if the relationship between Vistana and Starwood were to end, the PFL benefit would still there.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
...and thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars in annual MFs.

Yes, but I would never recommend owning a timeshare where the annual MFs are worth more than your usage rights. I consider SPG Platinum a benefit whose cost was prepaid by my developer purchases. My annual MFs are for my usage, nothing more.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Some of us tuggers are actually Platinum for Life based not only on 5* elite status, but because of the numbers of nights at hotels along with years of platinum status. Even if the relationship between Vistana and Starwood were to end, the PFL benefit would still there.

Yes, that is an important distinction.

okwiater said:
Yes, but I would never recommend owning a timeshare where the annual MFs are worth more than your usage rights. I consider SPG Platinum a benefit whose cost was prepaid by my developer purchases. My annual MFs are for my usage, nothing more.

I agree with you, however, my main point was that if you acquire "PFL" status via timeshare purchases, it will go away if you sell a unit, or quit paying the developer-backed financing agreement/and/or MFs, and fall below the minimum SOs required to retain 5* elite status. IOW, it's not really for "life" but for the life of your 5* ownership. And it also dependent on the continued relationship between Vistana (timeshares) and Starwood (hotels), though I suppose they COULD grandfather their SVN elite members as part of any merger or acquisition.

Folks like pedro who earned PFL the old fashioned way, by being road warriors, are a different breed. Once they achieve PFL in the Starwood program, they are, indeed, a Platinum member for life, for as long as SPG remains in existence.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way number 2 seems like an extreme way to do things.

You also have to be careful not to get burned as some transactions (go look at your cardholder agreement, most specifically mention exclusions of cash-like purchases) could get defined as funds advances and will likely cost more in interest than any value you would earn...

Same may apply if you make purchases from your own merchant account...

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope. Not here. I am using 3000 points to stay at the Providence airport Sheraton on they way to the cape. Cheaper than cash.

I pretty much use the math here and if cash is cheaper spend it and earn points or if points are cheaper use them.

I'm weighing up buying 6000 points for this weekend to do a cash and points stay that will be cheaper than cash or points!
So just made that cash and points booking. And will earn 1000 points back with the current promotion. Sweet.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village

I agree. After buying five resales (just sold one), I was recently convinced to purchase a developer unit to bring in one of my resales so I can "use starpoints". I got caught up in looking for a value transaction to pay for business class tickets through point conversions. I woke up and recinded of course! I knew better! I don't have the SPG Amex and realized that I can achieve the "benefits" offered by the developer if I just put all my charges on the SPG Amex and buy 20K points for $700 if I really needed extra points. Going this route does not commit me to a 20K purchase that I didn't need or the extra maintence fees.

JessI

Reaction score
I'm a fair newbie as an owner but been SPG Plat through the hotel side for 8 years. Like most others have said, every single thing that we spend goes on the SPG AmEx. No questions asked.

We get 120000 SPG points every year from the credit card. We did the calculations that it is cheaper to reach PFL by literally buying the nights that we need and going through the hotel side and using award stays since those count too. This may not work for everyone but for us, that's how we plan on reaching PFL and its much much cheaper than buying another TS to reach the requirements.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
^ and more permanent.
It's true. $42000 gets you 420 $100 mattress run room nights and then another 200,000 ish starpoints for more nights.
That's a lot of vacay.