• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Marriott Reward for Orient Express dilemna

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are taking the Orient Express from Singapore to Bangkok in Jan. 2007. We intended to use Marriott Reward points to pay for it (a lot of points :bawl:

Now we are told the OE isn't sure they will renew their contract with Marriott next year. My question to you smart legal people (Dave M?) is: If we purchase the Certificate now for this train trip in January 2007 and they discontinue their contract -- must they grandfather us in??? Do we have a legal right to get those seats (2)?
Thank you for any insight!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you spend the points to get the OE award, your contract at that point is only with Marriott. Then try to make your reservations using the award. Once you have done so, your contract is then with OE and your reservation should be honored.

If Marriott and OE have a contract renewal coming up, it's possible OE won't accept your reservation using an award until it knows whether the contract will be renewed.

If for some reason you make an award reservation and that award reservation isn't honored, such as cancellation of the partner arrangement between OE and Marriott, Marriott will refund the points it charged you for the award, just as it would for any other award that you are unable to use.

If that happens, you'll have to pay for the trip or find another method of travel, but you won’t lose the points.

It's likely that you won't be able to force OE to honor the reservation, as the terms of their agreement with Marriott almost certainly allow them to avoid carrying award passengers beyond the termination of their contract with Marriott.

However, the bottom line is that it’s unlikely that OE will accept your reservation unless they plan to carry through and honor that reservation. I would go for it.

That's a bunch of points! (500,000!)

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
IMO it's a bad use of points so it might be a blessing for you...take a two week trip to Australia on business class air instead and you've really got value for your points. You've got time to get working on purchase prices as I think you might be able to find a 'deal' somewhere for the OE trip that would be must less costly than the above mentioned trip to Aussieland.

Brian

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brian -

I don't think the Aussie trip will work here.

What you have missed in other posts is that this train trip is just one part of a much more extensive trip that has already been planned.

Although I agree that it's a lot of points for "only" a train trip, that particular trip is one I will probably never take unless I do it with points as Cathy does.

Still, you make a valid point because the value per point when used for this trip is only about 6/10 of one cent, compared to two cents or more when Marriott Rewards points are used for the type of world trip in business class that you typically take.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the insight. Actually for the 'cheaper seats' I believe it is 165,000 per person, not 250,000 unless my notes have been outdated. That still is costly -- point use wise.:wall:

We are normally quite frugal in our trips, but this has been a dream of mine to go on the Orient Express for over five years. We are 74 and 68 years young so it it now 'or never'. We are using our 'Big Trip' Marriott certificate for 5 of the 6 nights in Bangkok as well as using more Marriott points and Starwood points along the way -- even in Siem Reap at Le Meridian for 5 nights. Maybe not the wisest use, but considering our age -- a benefit for us.

Again I thank you two for putting it all in front of us :bawl:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, Cathy.

I had posted the 500,000 (2 x 250,000) number from memory and made my per-point valuation calculation based on that. My number applies to State Class rather that your planned Pullman Class. Your planned trip translates to a more reasonable value of almost a penny per point.