• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weeks to Points

wag

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn as much as I can--having joined this forum on Saturday. I've read the thread on weeks or points.

My daughter owns a week. The resort is trying to get her to change it to points. However, I thought it would make more sense to either buy a cheap E-bay (that's the way I came in) or do the lease route and then trade her week for points.

There are two avenues I want to pursue in questions:

1) When she considered my suggestion, RCI told her she could not "cash in" her weeks for points. Whereas it seems I've read much about that on this forum. Are there some "weeks" that cannot be traded for points?

2) If she could trade them in, how can we ascertain the number of points she'd get for a red week on the Outer Banks of NC?

Thanks so much for the help you've already given me.

Bill

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUGs. I assume you are talking about RCI points, since you mentioned leasing, buying on eBAY, and turning weeks into points.

As your daughter's TS is trying to get her to convert to Points, her resort is now considered a Points resorts. As a Points resort, she can not PFD her week back into the points system (PFD-Points for deposit). A Weeks resort can be turned into RCI Points through PFD on a yearly election with a small fee BUT a resort which has been converted or is converting to POINTs is now an RCI Points resort.

So, NO, she can NOT turn in the week she already owns into RCI points unless she PAYS to convert. She can continue to use OR deposit it in the RCI Weeks system for exchanges. She can also deposit her deeded week in the independant exchange companies - SFX, DAE, Redweek, etc.

So, more reading and researching for you. Also, does her resort have dual affillation with II, too?

But your advice is good on buying a RCI points package or as many recommend here, LEASING an RCI points product.

If she is not going to convert her week, you might want to look at Wyndham points. I watched a couple of auctions over the weekend, and I can not believe how LOW the resale points have gone. Most are 1/3 - 1/2 of the value from 18 months ago ...just watch for Special Assessments and higher than average maintenace fees. A 552,000 points at Skyline Tower A.C. went for $2025 - a little higher on MFs. A Myrtle Beach 863,000 pts was at $2030, but didn't meet reserve. Star Island has a high number of points package and it is NOT moving any better. These are the LARGE points packages worth 3.5 Prime weeks in 1 bdr at A.C.;6 weeks Prime in Myrtle Beach - with 13 month reservation advantage at their home resorts.

JMHO,

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If she is not going to convert her week, you might want to look at Wyndham points.
JMHO,

Just make sure you realize that Wyndham points are NOT RCI Points. They are a seperate points program.

Just wanted to make sure you were clear on that. Again more research on your part first would seem prudent.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy is absolutely correct ...
there are RCI Points
& Wyndham Points
& Marriott Points
& Redweek Points
& Shell Points
& Bluegreen Points
& HGVC Points
& Worldmark Points

and I am sure many, many more. And POINTS do NOT mix at all or at the best, NOT very well.

Just keep reading; the more you learn, the better you will vacation and for fewer dollars.