• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New cancelled points policy and the credit pool

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, it seems a lot of people use the credit pool.

Has there ever been a time where you wanted to book something using your credit pool points and the points were not available?

Is credit pooling more valuable to those folks that use it with the new no cancelled points rule...where the cancelled point become regular and put back in the credit pool without a fee?

I have avoided the whole credit pool thing because I was afraid the pool would be empty when I decided to jump in (make a reservation).

I don't think this is an issue because there are quite a few people that pool future points to use them now. so there is a balance of both people who extend the points and people who pull them forward.

Jason

debrinkleyusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am following the logic in these threads correctly, it sounds like the recent changes are going to make it easier to avoid having points expire if we use the credit pool. For example, credit pool points with an expiration date in 2018 could be used to book a 2016 reservation. If we cancel and rebook, whatever leftover points we get back will go back to having a 2018 expiration date. Has anyone tested this yet?

Thanks to all who contribute to the forum. Your replies are very helpful.

Best,
DB

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am following the logic in these threads correctly, it sounds like the recent changes are going to make it easier to avoid having points expire if we use the credit pool. For example, credit pool points with an expiration date in 2018 could be used to book a 2016 reservation. If we cancel and rebook, whatever leftover points we get back will go back to having a 2018 expiration date. Has anyone tested this yet?

Thanks to all who contribute to the forum. Your replies are very helpful.

Best,
DB

You are correct. There is less need to credit pool early and option to credit pool regular use year points that were once used for a reservation a nice help. Will this make the pool go dry for awhile is the question?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will this make the pool go dry for awhile is the question?

Take this as an attempt to understand rather than an argument.....wouldn't the new rule increase credit pool inventory as cancellations are returned to the pool instead of left in member accounts as cancelled points?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take this as an attempt to understand rather than an argument.....wouldn't the new rule increase credit pool inventory as cancellations are returned to the pool instead of left in member accounts as cancelled points?

I would also think it will incent people to credit pool if they aren't going to using ARP and don't deposit to RCI. That way they aren't left with odd bits at the end of the year. I think overall credit pool usage will increase and availability should also increase.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

You may be right. But my thinking is people will wait as long as they can to deposit the points into the credit pool. Every September 30th I will be evaluating how many points I want for the rest of the year. There could be a lag time between now and when that happens.

Since Wyndham realigned use years there are a lot more points starting January 1. That means December could be the month the credit pool goes dry.

Or it is possible that Wyndham floats the credit pool when needed so there are no issues.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone confirm if I am understanding this correctly --

> Cancelled points from reservations made with Credit pool points, go back to being Credit Pool Points
> Credit Pool points can't be deposited to RCI

Does that follow that for those who credit pool EVERYTHING (except ARP), that there won't by any more points eligible for RCI deposit?

I'm trying to figure out if that's good or bad. The prior recommendations were to credit pool everything once you've made your ARP reservations. Or credit pool everything except points you might need for ARP.

For those who still want to deposit to RCI for DVC purposes -- where will they get their points? I used to only deposit "unused points" to RCI, and I normally have some (either cancelled or left over). If I credit pool everything, it seems I wouldn't have anything for RCI. I'd have to choose to deposit to RCI before I credit pool points.

Am I missing something?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone confirm if I am understanding this correctly --

> Cancelled points from reservations made with Credit pool points, go back to being Credit Pool Points
> Credit Pool points can't be deposited to RCI

Does that follow that for those who credit pool EVERYTHING (except ARP), that there won't by any more points eligible for RCI deposit?

I'm trying to figure out if that's good or bad. The prior recommendations were to credit pool everything once you've made your ARP reservations. Or credit pool everything except points you might need for ARP.

For those who still want to deposit to RCI for DVC purposes -- where will they get their points? I used to only deposit "unused points" to RCI, and I normally have some (either cancelled or left over). If I credit pool everything, it seems I wouldn't have anything for RCI. I'd have to choose to deposit to RCI before I credit pool points.

Am I missing something?

That would be correct. I think you can look at the alternatives of different ways to bank your points for future use at your or another resort. Which you choose would depend upon whether you will want to use those banked points within the Wyndham system (with no exchange fee) or trade for an outside resort, paying the exchange fee. I think either choice is final once you act.

My opinion is that if you will want DVC and you know for certain that is what you will want, deposit in RCI.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The prior recommendations were to credit pool everything once you've made your ARP reservations. Or credit pool everything except points you might need for ARP.

Am I missing something?

That recommendation to credit pool everything except what you reserve for ARP sounds like me... but its not a recommendation; Its what works for me,

if you like Ill modify it though.. I credit pool everything except what I reserve for ARP or RCI

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't actually reserve points for RCI. I only use RCI as a last resort since I don't think it's the best use of my points. And DVC 2 BR has been non-existent lately so I wouldn't want to reserve regular points for those.

Looks like I'm going to have to rethink the strategy. Maybe this is actually a good thing - I just haven't decided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't actually reserve points for RCI. I only use RCI as a last resort since I don't think it's the best use of my points. And DVC 2 BR has been non-existent lately so I wouldn't want to reserve regular points for those.

Looks like I'm going to have to rethink the strategy. Maybe this is actually a good thing - I just haven't decided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all comes down to your best use, really. It is unquestionably true that where you once may have been able to cancel and deposit CP points in RCI, that is no longer the case. But, if you are primarily a user of the Wyndham system, this is definitely advantageous for you, as cancelled CP points go back to the pool with their original expiry, and you aren't stuck with dumping them in RCI with the hope of figuring out something to do with them.

And 2BR DVC have been non-existent independently of the rules change, so the change itself shouldn't factor into your decision process. Either you want to take a shot at landing a DVC, or you don't. The risk, before and now, is that you don't find the interval you need, and you are left scrambling for an alternative RCI interval that is acceptable to your needs.

Last edited: