• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham pts to RCI - Can this be done??

Goofy6294

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Wyndham and I was told that effective 8/4/15, the book/cancel strategy to be able to move credit pool points to RCI is no longer allowed, and that the cancelled points are now returned to their pre-cancellation status. If that's true, than the rest of my post may be moot, but I'm going to ask anyway since I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to this stuff:

I have 90,000 credit pool points and 84,000 in my 7/2016-6/2017 use year. I wanted to transfer 105,000 to RCI for a Feb 2016 reservation. Is there a way to accomplish this?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
The only way I could think of -- and this is mostly me thinking out loud, inviting confirmation or being shot down by people more experienced than I am -- is to make an express reservation that requires enough points to rent some of them. Specifically (and I would do this all on one day/RT), deposit the 84k points to RCI first. Then I would make an express reservation with the pool points for at least 111k, which would allow you to rent 21k points at $8/pt. Then cancel, and as I understand it, the pool points would go back to the pool and the rented points should come back as regular points in the use year of the reservation. Which you can then deposit to RCI. Not pretty, not particularly cheap, and possibly not yet tested by anyone here, but it's what I came up with.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
PM sent. I don't know that there is a way to do this with the new changes.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I'll also add that with these changes, I wonder if Wyndham will consider a change to the limitation on using pool points for an RCI deposit. Previously, it was a limitation on paper only, since it was easily workaroundable. I don't know what the rationale is for the limitation in the first place - maybe they don't want people extending their points for three years and then another two? But that assumes that RCI is a deposit of last resort, which of course is not how they sell it - RCI provides you So Many Options! It's a selling point! So it's weird that they'll encourage you also to credit pool your points, let you search vacations on RCI, and now tell you that there's actually no way to use your credit pooled points to secure that vacation.

I was lucky enough to read about the changes here in advance and rescue my pooled points (now transformed into regular points expiring in Dec. 2016) so I can later deposit them to RCI, but I wonder how many people previously had a VC walk them through a reserve/cancel/deposit to RCI and will now be disappointed the next time they try it?

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll also add that with these changes, I wonder if Wyndham will consider a change to the limitation on using pool points for an RCI deposit. Previously, it was a limitation on paper only, since it was easily workaroundable. I don't know what the rationale is for the limitation in the first place - maybe they don't want people extending their points for three years and then another two? ...
I think this is the rationale for Wyndham to prevent the use of pooled credits for RCI. But in some cases, people are trying to accelerate points using the pool.

If enough people make their desires known to Wyndham, perhaps a carve-out can be made for RCI and the credit pool (i.e., perhaps only allowing pooled credits with 24-36 months of life remaining to be deposited to RCI?).

...I wonder how many people previously had a VC walk them through a reserve/cancel/deposit to RCI and will now be disappointed the next time they try it?
Unfortunately, they were forewarned... :(

Last edited:

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been following closely for the last couple of months so please let me know what I missed. I regularly pool my points to use them before their use year (though we are adding 189,000 points right now and that should help with the need for points). I then use those credit pool points to put points into RCI and book reservations. Will I not be able to do that anymore?

Goofy6294

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way I could think of -- and this is mostly me thinking out loud, inviting confirmation or being shot down by people more experienced than I am -- is to make an express reservation that requires enough points to rent some of them. Specifically (and I would do this all on one day/RT), deposit the 84k points to RCI first. Then I would make an express reservation with the pool points for at least 111k, which would allow you to rent 21k points at $8/pt. Then cancel, and as I understand it, the pool points would go back to the pool and the rented points should come back as regular points in the use year of the reservation. Which you can then deposit to RCI. Not pretty, not particularly cheap, and possibly not yet tested by anyone here, but it's what I came up with.

Sounds like it would work on paper. I'm also curious as to whether anyone's tried it before I drop a couple hundred bucks on fees and rented points.

I haven't been following closely for the last couple of months so please let me know what I missed. I regularly pool my points to use them before their use year (though we are adding 189,000 points right now and that should help with the need for points). I then use those credit pool points to put points into RCI and book reservations. Will I not be able to do that anymore?

Found a link to the main discussion on this topic in another thread: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230333

Goofy6294

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be working...

I figured I'd take it as far as I could without incurring any fees, but the website won't let me deposit my 2016-17 points to RCI. It's telling me that I "don't have any points available to request a deposit."

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will not be able to deposit them until ten months (or less) prior to the beginning of the use year of those points. So, September 1, 2015 for a July 16-17 use year.