• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you help me understand SVC?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Had friends over for the evening. Found out they bought SVC oceanfront while on honeymoon in Hawaii 10 years ago and have never used their week. Shell Vacations Club - Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy

I looked at redweek to see comparables for renting but didn't see many. Friend said he's never been successful with II.

I'm only familiar with the Marriott system.

Is there a way for this ownership to be a more meaningful purchase?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had friends over for the evening. Found out they bought SVC oceanfront while on honeymoon in Hawaii 10 years ago and have never used their week. Shell Vacations Club - Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy

I looked at redweek to see comparables for renting but didn't see many. Friend said he's never been successful with II.

I'm only familiar with the Marriott system.

Is there a way for this ownership to be a more meaningful purchase?

For beginners, if it is SVC, it is neither Beachboy nor Oceanfront, but a package of points that may be used to secure oceanfront at Beachboy or any room at any other resort in Hawaii with reservation priority, or any other shell resort without reservation priority, as long as they have or can rent/borrow enough points for the accommodation.

If they truly have oceanfront at Beachboy, they don't own SVC, but a deeded week in that shell resort. If he's never been successful with II, I'd say this is the case. But even with Beachboy interval, I'm surprised they have no luck on II. How far in advance of their week are they depositing?

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
For beginners, if it is SVC, it is neither Beachboy nor Oceanfront, but a package of points that may be used to secure oceanfront at Beachboy or any room at any other resort in Hawaii with reservation priority, or any other shell resort without reservation priority, as long as they have or can rent/borrow enough points for the accommodation.

If they truly have oceanfront at Beachboy, they don't own SVC, but a deeded week in that shell resort. If he's never been successful with II, I'd say this is the case. But even with Beachboy interval, I'm surprised they have no luck on II. How far in advance of their week are they depositing?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

8000 pts. with SVC. His parents have the same. So your first scenario is the case. Sounds like Marriott's new DC system.

With regards to II, what are the steps they should take to get weeks they want? When we talked I gathered it was a matter of not giving an ongoing request enough time.

The m/f's are $2700. What strategy would they use to recover these by renting? I'm familiar with the renting process because I rent my Marriott's on II. What I'm asking, how do they secure a high-demand week that would be a good renter? I looked on redweek and there is a much lower supply of SVC's for rent than compared to Marriott's. The properties look beautiful and in nice locations. At first glance, it looks to me like there would be a good market.

What am I missing?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

8000 pts. with SVC. His parents have the same. So your first scenario is the case. Sounds like Marriott's new DC system.

With regards to II, what are the steps they should take to get weeks they want? When we talked I gathered it was a matter of not giving an ongoing request enough time.

The m/f's are $2700. What strategy would they use to recover these by renting? I'm familiar with the renting process because I rent my Marriott's on II. What I'm asking, how do they secure a high-demand week that would be a good renter? I looked on redweek and there is a much lower supply of SVC's for rent than compared to Marriott's. The properties look beautiful and in nice locations. At first glance, it looks to me like there would be a good market.

What am I missing?

SVC Hawaii MFs are high, there is no getting around that. I'm very surprised that they don't get superb trades in II. How late do they deposit? From everything I've researched, 8K points should get them two good weeks through II. Or are they just not flexible enough to use exchanging to their advantage? There are some locations and weeks that regular traders work and wait years to achieve.

As far as rentals go, SVC owners seem really passionate about their clubs, despite the high MFs. It could be that they are more prone to use or trade them than rent them, I don't know.

Marriott is a relatively easy rent because it is a well established and fairly elite brand name. If you aren't in timeshare, Paniolo Greens or Beachboy or Orange Tree or Inn at the Opera means nothing to you. Thus, Shell resorts may also be harder to rent than Marriott or Hilton or Hyatt or even Wyndham, simply because of name recognition.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, all they have to do is call SVC and GET their II member info.

Second, they should NOT be renting II exchanges ... could end up with their "renters" standing in the curb (homeless) and they are on the hook for "damages".

They can rent their SVC reservations .. but usually, the Shell resorts DO NOT have a presence in the renting world. Too small of a 'customer' awareness of the resorts. Friends or referrals would be WHO they would find as their customers. Ty1on is RIGHT on his call - owners use their points ... I have rented a few Wyndham reservations over the years; NEVER a Shell booking.

As for 10 years paying $2400-2700 per year PLUS the original buy in costs? I wish I had that type of cash to throw to the winds. You should encourage them to review the resorts THEY might be interested in staying; help them book (the SHELL call in center guides are VERY NICE and HELPFUL - very nice). They just NEED to use these points - Are they golfers? Wine drinkers? City visitors? Even Hawaii travelers (with 13 month booking advantage, the BIG holiday and travel times are THEIRS .. if they just plan their vacation time).

My family has stayed twice in the last 2 years at "The Legacy" in PHX with me ... all professionals ... liked the resort. This coming year will be a San Diego trip ... and I am sure, at least I will camp out in that Shell resort.

I brought my points to USE as most of my siblings are now located in that part of the USA. And most of the guests I have chatted with are OWNERS who also using their points ... not renters.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
8,000 Hawaii points would be $1,900 in MF. 12k points would be about $2700.

Trading in II with Shell points is every bit as powerful as Worldmark points. Either scour II for instant exchanges or put in an ongoing request, and the only limit to the trading power of points are the respective preference periods of the developer systems (e.g., Marriott, Starwood, etc).

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, all they have to do is call SVC and GET their II member info.

Second, they should NOT be renting II exchanges ... could end up with their "renters" standing in the curb (homeless) and they are on the hook for "damages".

They can rent their SVC reservations .. but usually, the Shell resorts DO NOT have a presence in the renting world. Too small of a 'customer' awareness of the resorts. Friends or referrals would be WHO they would find as their customers. Ty1on is RIGHT on his call - owners use their points ... I have rented a few Wyndham reservations over the years; NEVER a Shell booking.

As for 10 years paying $2400-2700 per year PLUS the original buy in costs? I wish I had that type of cash to throw to the winds. You should encourage them to review the resorts THEY might be interested in staying; help them book (the SHELL call in center guides are VERY NICE and HELPFUL - very nice). They just NEED to use these points - Are they golfers? Wine drinkers? City visitors? Even Hawaii travelers (with 13 month booking advantage, the BIG holiday and travel times are THEIRS .. if they just plan their vacation time).

My family has stayed twice in the last 2 years at "The Legacy" in PHX with me ... all professionals ... liked the resort. This coming year will be a San Diego trip ... and I am sure, at least I will camp out in that Shell resort.

I brought my points to USE as most of my siblings are now located in that part of the USA. And most of the guests I have chatted with are OWNERS who also using their points ... not renters.

I wasn't suggesting they rent II exchanges. I'm familiar with that restriction.

Thanks for the suggestion to call the Shell call in center. I also have representatives at II who I rely on.

This couple has been using their ownership with hotel cards and enjoying vacations with family that way. They bought the points on their honeymoon 10 years ago. Then began their own business, had a couple children and before you know it are celebrating their 10 year anniversary. When we were talking about our trips in the winter she asked me where we went and if we owned. I said "timeshare". She said "we have a timeshare". . .and that was the beginning of the conversation. Now their beautiful girls are 8 and 2 so I'm confident they will soon be enjoying the full benefits of their ownership.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
They need to put in requests for II. Shell trades very high in II and most of us who own Shell have very good trades in II. They probably don't understand how to use it or they only check online inventory once in a while instead of daily.

Their resort has ocean front units. They should be able to rent a high demand ocean front unit and at least recover their cost. The MFs are very high at that resort.

It should also be very easy for them to trade within the Shell system. It sounds like either they do not like the Shell locations or they travel on short notice when everything is already booked and if that is the case, hotels are more appropriate for them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I like this resort very much, but because it's not a well-known resort, it's not a strong rental.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My impression with any points system that has a crossover grid in II doesn't rely on trading power. If you have enough points, your place in line is based on the time you put in the request. You can't be bumped by someone who puts in a request later but with a better unit.

In terms of manual searches you see everything that II chooses to show to anyone (I believe they hold back units they have at times not based on trading power) with the exception of developer priority units.