• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice Parents want to "Give" me a timeshare....

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why transfer it to out of your parents name?
Save the cost of a new deed & transfee fee.

Have your parents add you & your wife names to their Wyndham
contract/deed to guarantee you don`t lose any developer benefits.

You can arrange it with your parents
to pay them or Wyndham each month.

This way you wouldn`t need a gift certificate when your family goes to Fairfield Sapphire Valley or when you exchange your points.

Wyndham does nothing free. I think in order to get you name added you'll need to be added to their deed and pay a transfer free to add the revised deed to their membership so your name shows up as an owner.

rubbub

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went through this recently myself as I was added on to my parents Wyndham deed. Although I've never bought or sold a TS myself, it appeared to follow the same process as a resale transaction from what I could tell. We engaged a 3rd party company to prepare & file the deed and paid Wyndham the $299 transfer fee.

Even though my parents likely won't use it any more, we chose to add my name as opposed to transferring in order to have more owner's names on the account. That may not be a consideration for the OP, however.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My parents had a timeshare, when Dad passed away, she wanted to share it with us, we ( siblings and I ) took turns for a few years traveled with Mum to resorts. Now that Mum has become too frail, older brother took ownership of the week. Mum enjoyed timeshares but it is still in the family, Her granddaughter just used the week for honeymoon trip to Spain.
Silentg

djohn75087

Reaction score
If you decide you don't want it?

I listen to the Dave Ramsey show and I agree with his principles (although I do own a timeshare despite the fact Dave hates them). However, he endorses a company called Timeshare Exit Team. Honestly, I know very little about the company but I do trust Dave Ramsey so it might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I listen to the Dave Ramsey show and I agree with his principles (although I do own a timeshare despite the fact Dave hates them). However, he endorses a company called Timeshare Exit Team. Honestly, I know very little about the company but I do trust Dave Ramsey so it might be worth looking into.

I listen to Dave Ramsey almost daily and you are correct, he does hate timeshares. I emailed him a year ago about what I'm doing with the Wyndham resell timeshares I'm buying for pennies with a link to my website. About a week later he wrote back that I turned lemons into lemonade. I took that as a complement...

djohn75087

Reaction score
I listen to Dave Ramsey almost daily and you are correct, he does hate timeshares. I emailed him a year ago about what I'm doing with the Wyndham resell timeshares I'm buying for pennies with a link to my website. About a week later he wrote back that I turned lemons into lemonade. I took that as a complement...

That's really good to hear, anytime I listen to Dave I have an internal argument over if I should get rid of them or not, but I feel like I'm getting a good deal and I have no other debt other than my mortgage. I'm always thinking about an exit strategy so I may look this company up when the time comes.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

This is the rule of thumb with timeshares offers: Never pay an upfront fee.

Never...never...never

Also, many companies may refuse to transfer the deed if they smell a Viking ship or shuttle corporation.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Paid endorsements do not always represent a radio personality;s personal views, nor do they necessarily guarantee that the endorsed business is legitimate.