• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Cayman -- I want to pack in some food.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I've seen prior threads about this -- but can't find at the moment. We are going to G.C. for first time and of course I've read a lot about how expensive it is to eat there.

If I want to pack a suitcase that will be checked -- are there any restrictions about what I can put in there?

Any hints, suggestions or point me to a prior post?

Cappy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
they r funny about what u can bring!

I have taken tons of food but they have to be in prepackaged or they won't let you bring it into cg! No fruit or veggies they took my frozen peas!! Great to take with you when you are snokling. All fish go right for it!! U can't bring lunchmeat from a deli has to be prepackage. Nothing from your kitchen that u fixed.

Caladezi

Reaction score
Eating out in restaurants can be expensive but there are plenty of grocery stores on the island to stock up on most anything. Groceries are not much more expensive than at home and it sure beats the heck out of bringing it with you on the plane. What is much more expensive is liquor, so if you are a drinker remember to bring 1 liter/person. A liter in Cayman costs roughly $40.00 and up. As for groceries, it's about 10-15% over prices at home.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've taken uncut prepackaged meats there before with no problems and so have other family members. However, once in a while an inspector will decide to confiscate something which we've brought in on other occasions and there's nothing you can do. Would not suggest taking more than you can afford to lose. We always take individually packaged oatmeal for breakfast. Never had a problem with boxed raisins either.

TravelMamma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I've seen prior threads about this -- but can't find at the moment. We are going to G.C. for first time and of course I've read a lot about how expensive it is to eat there.

If I want to pack a suitcase that will be checked -- are there any restrictions about what I can put in there?

Any hints, suggestions or point me to a prior post?

I don't usually don't pack foods, but I had heard G.C. was expensive too (for everything), so for our trip there, I made the exception and packed an entire carry on suitcase of food items. I didn't bring any veggies, meat or fruits and I know their are restrictions on those items.

Things I did bring were: coffee, cookies, pringles chips, candy, pretzels, microwave popcorn, peanut butter, almonds, cashews, cheeze its, crackers, a box of spaghetti, taco shells, taco seasoning, crystal lite packets, chex snack mix, Ziploc bags, salt&pepper, etc....

I actually fit quite a bit, I had multiples of each item. It was mostly all our our snacks for the week and a few items to prepare a couple of dinners in. When we got there we bought our own liquor/wine and additional items for the meals we would be eating in. We still ate out for a few times for dinner, a couple of lunches and a couple of breakfasts but, we'd rather spend our money on excursions or souvenirs that eating every meal out. Then when your vacation has ended you can use the empty suitcase for souvenirs on the way home!

Another post had said it was only 10-15% more for groceries, but that might only be true for certain states or countries, you have to take that into consideration. I knew ahead of time from asking ?'s to others that live in the same state or area I live in so I had an idea what to expect. Groceries were 50% more than what I pay at home and liquor even more than double!

Have fun, Grand Cayman was one of our favorite family trips, loved it there!

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. This is a last minute 'unbudgeted' trip so wanted to do all I can to save a little money.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thanks to all who replied. This is a last minute 'unbudgeted' trip so wanted to do all I can to save a little money.
If you bring meat, it needs to be "cryo-packed" - think Bacon, hot dogs, meats from costco - and must have a USDA stamp on it.
We shop at Hurleys http://hurleys.ky/home.php and since we stay at the Morritt's Tortuga also use Foster's Express http://fosters-iga.com/fff/ by the resort.
You can bring dry goods/snacks from home as well.
It is only the meat that has restrictions.

ralphd

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you bring meat, it needs to be "cryo-packed" - think Bacon, hot dogs, meats from costco - and must have a USDA stamp on it.
We shop at Hurleys http://hurleys.ky/home.php and since we stay at the Morritt's Tortuga also use Foster's Express http://fosters-iga.com/fff/ by the resort.
You can bring dry goods/snacks from home as well.
It is only the meat that has restrictions.

Agree GrayFal!

Caladezi

Reaction score
Hey Ralph: Good to hear from you. I'm still fighting the battle with DM at Morritts but else is well. Hope all is well with you and yours. I'm up in Rochester, Mn. this weekend for a wedding but will be back home in Florida on Sunday. Are you still in Celebration?

Frank

ralphd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Ralph: Good to hear from you. I'm still fighting the battle with DM at Morritts but else is well. Hope all is well with you and yours. I'm up in Rochester, Mn. this weekend for a wedding but will be back home in Florida on Sunday. Are you still in Celebration?

Frank

Hi Frank,

Glad to hear you are doing well. Everything is great here.
Yes we are still here in Celebration. Too cold in the rest of the states.

See some comments about maintenance at Morritts - too bad it is a great place. Evidently David hasn't changed much. We are members at DVC and RHC Cozumel now.

Take care and stay warm until you get back to Florida.

Ralph