• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Orlando things to do weekend 10/22-23

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I will be accompanying my wife to Orlando this weekend where she will be attending a conference at the Gaylord Palms next week. We will have Saturday and Sunday free in Orlando and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for things for a late 50's couple to do. We aren't interested in going to theme parks and we haven't been in Orlando for a few years. Any new other attractions, restaurants or activities going on this weeknd that we might check out?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Note, we have visited Cape Canaveral on previous trips.

Brian

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We enjoy walking around Old Town in Kissimmee (Rte 192, E of I-4). Lots of interesting shops to explore and a few restaurants/bars. Saturday evening there is a Classic Car cruise as well as a live band (often 50-60's music). There will be a lot of Halloween decorations throughout as well.

Nearby (a little West of Old Town) is Disney's planned community of Celebration. It has a cute "downtown" area that is interesting & scenic to walk around.

If you are interested in shopping there's always the outlet malls!

~Diane

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I will be accompanying my wife to Orlando this weekend where she will be attending a conference at the Gaylord Palms next week. We will have Saturday and Sunday free in Orlando and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for things for a late 50's couple to do. We aren't interested in going to theme parks and we haven't been in Orlando for a few years. Any new other attractions, restaurants or activities going on this weeknd that we might check out?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Note, we have visited Cape Canaveral on previous trips.

Brian

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/local-things-to-do/mcogp-gaylord-palms-resort-and-convention-center/

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival is the biggest thing that weekend, and one of the nicest throughout the whole year.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
All, thank you for the good tips and advice. The Epcot food festival sounds good but like it requires an admission to the park. The GP site had some good ideas and I reached out to the concierge at GP and made dinner reservations at Old Hickory Steak house at GP one night. Other night we booked at Johnny's Hideaway, about a 10 minute ride away. We're also going to Winter Park for brunch on Sunday where we are meeting friends who live in Orlando area. Sounds like it will be a packed and fun weekend.

Thanks again.

loafingcactus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm here now and I just discovered Sam Flax art supply store, that has locations here and in Atlanta. They have all kinds of writing journals, including brands that are normally only found online, and more adult coloring books than I've seen anywhere in my life, and lots and lots of zen tangle stuff also. If anyone is into that. Will definitely be a place I go when I come back to Orlando!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
All, thank you for the good tips and advice. The Epcot food festival sounds good but like it requires an admission to the park. The GP site had some good ideas and I reached out to the concierge at GP and made dinner reservations at Old Hickory Steak house at GP one night. Other night we booked at Johnny's Hideaway, about a 10 minute ride away. We're also going to Winter Park for brunch on Sunday where we are meeting friends who live in Orlando area. Sounds like it will be a packed and fun weekend.

Thanks again.

If you are in Winter Park you might enjoy
http://www.scenicboattours.com

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
I'm here now and I just discovered Sam Flax art supply store, that has locations here and in Atlanta. They have all kinds of writing journals, including brands that are normally only found online, and more adult coloring books than I've seen anywhere in my life, and lots and lots of zen tangle stuff also. If anyone is into that. Will definitely be a place I go when I come back to Orlando!

That's Ironic that you mention Sam Flax. They closed their large store in mid-town Manhattan a couple of years ago. It was a block away from my office and I used to go there all the time. In fact they are finally working on the store preparing it for a new tenant. I was wondering if there were other Sam Flax stores...just never checked it out.
Thanks.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go explore downtown Orlando. There are a lot of nice parks and places to walk. Good food options. Very different than what you are used to at Disney

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
If you are in Winter Park you might enjoy
http://www.scenicboattours.com

+1 for the scenic boat tour.

Also while you are in Winter Park I suggest you visit the Morse Museum which is a couple of blocks away from the Scenic Boat Tour. The Morse Museum has the largest collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany Art in the world and it also has the restored Tiffany Chapel which was first displayed at Chicago Columbian Exposition in 1893 where it won Grand Prize for Architechture. Absolutely Stunning.

For more info see:

http://www.morsemuseum.org/

Richard

Last edited:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Wow, great suggestions all! I'm never disappointed by the wealth of travel information / advice available from all of you Tuggers and your quick responses! I'm sure we will have plenty to fill our weekend (if we get down there on our late flight tonight which is already delayed due to rain in the NY area today). it's cleared up and nice now.
Have a nice weekend all!
Brian

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hope you have a great weekend in orlando, appears you could not have asked for a better weekend of cooler weather!

LoriHoff68

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know your religious affiliation. But Mary Queen of the Universe Basilica is an amazing place. The architecture is really impressive and they have a museum and a huge Catholic gift shop. The grounds are really beautiful. If you are Christian it is worth a stop even if you don't go to Mass. It is right next to the outlet mall.

Too bad you weren't in town last weekend. There was a "Rattlesnake Festival in St. Leo near my sons school". You won't find that in NY!!

winegarden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Mirage (Diamond points)
Westin Kierland Villas
Piggy-backing on thread

Thanks for asking the question. My wife and two of her friends (all retired) are going to be in Orlando Monday through Thursday of this week (October 23-27, 2016) and were wonder what there was to do during their time there (not Disney). Any other ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bok Tower Gardens

We enjoy

Bok Tower Gardens

https://boktowergardens.org/

Welcome to Our Historic Landmark

Our gardens are open 365 days a year, and boast must see scenery and architecture. The Singing Tower and gardens provide ideal backdrops for family picnics, dining at our cafe, or as a wedding ceremony and reception venue. Also enjoy bird watching, geocaching and photography opportunities while trail hiking. Close to Tampa and Orlando, Bok Tower Gardens is available for corporate or social events.

brucetho

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try the new ferris wheel

We were in Orlando last February and enjoyed the 400' ferris wheel ride. You get a wonderful panorama of Orlando

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
I don't know your religious affiliation. But Mary Queen of the Universe Basilica is an amazing place. The architecture is really impressive and they have a museum and a huge Catholic gift shop. The grounds are really beautiful. If you are Christian it is worth a stop even if you don't go to Mass. It is right next to the outlet mall.

Too bad you weren't in town last weekend. There was a "Rattlesnake Festival in St. Leo near my sons school". You won't find that in NY!!

Lori, the Basilica sounds beautiful. Sorry we missed the Rattlesnake Festival! I hope your kids got to enjoy it. It's beautiful here right now. Thanks for the recommendations.
Brian

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for the scenic boat tour.

Also while you are in Winter Park I suggest you visit the Morse Museum which is a couple of blocks away from the Scenic Boat Tour. The Morse Museum has the largest collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany Art in the world and it also has the restored Tiffany Chapel which was first displayed at Chicago Columbian Exposition in 1893 where it won Grand Prize for Architechture. Absolutely Stunning.

For more info see:

http://www.morsemuseum.org/

Richard
The Morse Museum is FANTASTIC,:banana: and only a few blocks away from the the boat tours. If you are into cooking , the town has the most fabulous spice store right on the main drag, and the restaurants there are worth the time.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Morse Museum is FANTASTIC,:banana: and only a few blocks away from the the boat tours. If you are into cooking , the town has the most fabulous spice store right on the main drag, and the restaurants there are worth the time.

The main drag is Park Avenue (divided into North Park Ave and South Park Ave)
and has great ambiance with shops and restaurants. At the intersection of S. Park and Fairbanks Ave is Rollins College (part of the campus you'll see on the Scenic Boat Tour). Also on the Rollins College Campus is the Cornell Fine Arts Museum. Amongst other works, they have some very nice pieces by American Artist Winslow Homer. For more info see:http://www.rollins.edu/cornell-fine-arts-museum/collection/american-art/index.html

Richard

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Great weekend in Orlando

Thanks all for your suggestions. We had a great weekend in Orlando. On Saturday we stayed at the Gaylord Palms and took advantage of their great Water Park and the South Beach Adult pool. They were both awesome and offered lots for anyone in your party. Saturday night we had dinner at the Old Hickory Steak house in GP. It was a truely great dining experience. Our server Kain was the most knowledgeable waiter we have ever had and was an expert on everything on the menu and wine list there. This assured a perfect dinner exactly to our liking.

On Sunday we went to Winter Park. We met friends for brunch at the Briarpatch Cafe which was the most popular place on the Park Ave strip of restaurants. I had the best corned beef and potato hash eggs Benedict I have Ever tasted. After that we went on the Lake boat tour. Our tour guide Alan was great and we had an enjoyable and informative hour tour. After going back to walk around The Park Ave shops, we went to the Morse Museum. What an awesome treasure in the heart of this great community. We didn't make it over to Rollins College but they have a very good free museum there too, just a few blocks away on the campus.

All in all a great weekend in Orlando. I'm on my way back to LGA and will be in my office in NYC by almost 9:00 am. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brian

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks all for your suggestions. We had a great weekend in Orlando. On Saturday we stayed at the Gaylord Palms and took advantage of their great Water Park and the South Beach Adult pool. They were both awesome and offered lots for anyone in your party. Saturday night we had dinner at the Old Hickory Steak house in GP. It was a truely great dining experience. Our server Kain was the most knowledgeable waiter we have ever had and was an expert on everything on the menu and wine list there. This assured a perfect dinner exactly to our liking.

On Sunday we went to Winter Park. We met friends for brunch at the Briarpatch Cafe which was the most popular place on the Park Ave strip of restaurants. I had the best corned beef and potato hash eggs Benedict I have Ever tasted. After that we went on the Lake boat tour. Our tour guide Alan was great and we had an enjoyable and informative hour tour. After going back to walk around The Park Ave shops, we went to the Morse Museum. What an awesome treasure in the heart of this great community. We didn't make it over to Rollins College but they have a very good free museum there too, just a few blocks away on the campus.

All in all a great weekend in Orlando. I'm on my way back to LGA and will be in my office in NYC by almost 9:00 am. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brian
Happy we helped you! Winter Park is a nice area to visit. I'm sure you will return. The weather helped too ,
Silentg