• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2010] New Knees

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Dead Center.

Is your knee pain on the (lateral) outside of the knee by any chance?
Smack in the middle.

Not only that, I now believe the current knee problem may be related to some of the extreme stretching I got during physical therapy following hip replacement.

I took a weekend off from physical therapy in March to go to a fancypants car show in Florida -- walked all around at the Ritz-Carlton & the Golf Course Of Amelia Island with hardly any trouble. Came back home & resumed physical therapy. During a couple of sessions, the therapist positioned me face down on a padded table, placed a rolled towel just above my right knee, & started a series of major serious right leg stretches. I felt those for sure -- not pain exactly, just teetering on the edge of discomfort but only during the actual stretch, with no leftover sensations when the stretching manipulations were finished.

I know it sounds stupid not to be able to tell where the stiffness & soreness were centered, hip or knee. But that's how it was. When physical therapy sessions were complete & I was dismissed by both the therapist & the orthopedic surgeon, I mistook the residual minor stiffness & soreness as being in my new hip. They weren't. They were in my old knee, which had been pretty much OK until the hip physical therapy. (Plus, back in December when my worn-out hip was hurting bigtime, the pain extended well down my leg to the vicinity of my knee, a phenomenon the doctor called distributed pain. Who knew?)

I am not laying blame for any of this on the physical therapy. More likely is that my old knee had some damage from old-age wear & tear anyway that might well have sent me back to the doctor before long. All the extreme stretching did was call attention to the problem sooner instead of later.

Physical therapy as it was administered to me, BTW, consisted mostly of various self-powered exercises under the direction & supervision of the physical therapists. Typically, they'd warm me up with 10 minutes on a treadmill or stationary bike, then have me do stair-step exercises (up, down, left, right, side, front, etc.), then attach stretchy things to my ankles (1 at a time) & have me do leg extensions forward, backward, right, & left, with both legs. With a stretch loop attached to both ankles, they had me walk sideways across the floor several times. Stuff like that. Much of it was similar to the physical therapy exercises they had me do after left knee replacement in 2010. Except for the stretching part, I think I could do my own physical therapy if I had to, the exercise part anyway, at home at over at the gym.

I got right knee MRI done yesterday -- last patient of the day at the MRI facility over near Tysons Corner VA. They handed me the disk to turn over to the doctor at my follow-up appointment Tuesday morning. Maybe the detailed MRI images will show the doctor something he can fix without signing me up for another TKR. I hope so.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
New Knee Not Needed This Time.

Maybe the detailed MRI images will show the doctor something he can fix without signing me up for another TKR.
Knee doctor took a look at the MRI images & declared my knee basically sound but with slightly torn meniscus.

He said he can fix that via out-patient arthroscopic surgery -- in on a Thursday or Friday, out the same day, & walking around without crutches by Monday or Tuesday.

Sounds good to me.

I'm signed up to get scoped June 2.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Knee doctor took a look at the MRI images & declared my knee basically sound but with slightly torn meniscus.

He said he can fix that via out-patient arthroscopic surgery -- in on a Thursday or Friday, out the same day, & walking around without crutches by Monday or Tuesday.

Sounds good to me.

I'm signed up to get scoped June 2.

I've had that procedure done on both knees. The first time was several years ago and I either did not listen to the doctor's instructions or he didn't give me any. My knee felt so good by the time I got home (I think the anesthesia/pain killers were still working!). We went out to dinner that night and I walked all over the place with no pain. The next few days were spent in bed because my knee was swollen and very painful.

The second time I had the procedure was last fall and my doctor (different one than the first) was adamant that I not put any weight on my leg for one week. I used a walker to get around and was pretty good about obeying instructions. When the week was up I was fine and there was no pain or swelling from the surgery.

So, stay off your leg, get lots of rest, and let it heal.:)

tfalk

Reaction score
I had 3 tears in the meniscus in my right knee repaired 2 years ago. In the OR at 630am, in the car going home at 915am. Doc said stay on the crutches for 24 hours, then go easy but use it if it didn't hurt. I was off the crutches the next day, a little sore but mostly just the incisions. I would say it's 98% now. Still gets sore once in a while but nowhere near what it was before.... I know it will need to be replaced at some point in time.

Already have 1 replacement shoulder, probably going for the other one later this year. Getting old sucks but I hear it beats the alternative?

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

My knee felt so good by the time I got home (I think the anesthesia/pain killers were still working!). We went out to dinner that night and I walked all over the place with no pain. The next few days were spent in bed because my knee was swollen and very painful.
Got scoped Thursday afternoon. Felt great Thursday night & all day Friday, till nearly bedtime. Then soreness set it.

Overnight & Saturday morning, still sore. Also stiff. Not hurting enough for anything stronger than Tylenol (& really don't even need that).

Plan on taking it easy, no exertion (other than exercises recommended on hand-out included in the surgery center discharge instructions).

Follow-up appointment with knee doctor is next Friday morning. Will see what's what.

I am still optimistic that after another week or so I will be mostly OK once again.

We'll see, eh ?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Got Declared OK at Follow-Up Knee Doctor Appointment.

Follow-up appointment with knee doctor is next Friday morning. Will see what's what.

I am still optimistic that after another week or so I will be mostly OK once again.

We'll see, eh ?
Only problem was that they changed my appointment to 1PM. I found that out when I showed up & signed in at 10AM, the time written on my surgical discharge instruction sheet. Would have been nice if somebody had let me know about the time change in advance. Sheesh.

When I showed up again at 1PM, they took me to an examination room with no more folderol. A physician assistant looked at the surgical site, had me extend & bend my leg at the knee, asked me questions, watched me walk around the room, etc., & said I am good to go.

She also said that I still have osteoarthritis, meaning that my newly scoped knee might start hurting again some time into the indefinite future. If so, she said, there are treatments available short of getting another surgical total joint replacement, such as steroid injections, & injections of a special orthopedic lubricant. I'm in no rush to get those, but it's nice to know about'm if the need arises.

Now that I am officially OK once again (3 months later than I expected to be), I am not going to rush back to the gym for regular workouts. Instead, I'm going to put that off for 3-4 more weeks, then ease back into an exercise routine -- basically, wimpy workouts till I get a feeling of confidence that I really am OK.

I do not regret rushing back to the gym earlier, right after I was cleared following successful hip replacement surgery & physical therapy. I realize now that it was through the gym experience that I caught on my knee was torqued. If I had not gone back to the gym, it might well have taken a month or so for the light to dawn. (Yes, it was semi-stupid not to know whether leg stiffness was in the new hip or the old knee, but that's how it was. Go figure.)

Also, lowdown as I felt upon discovering I had a torqued old knee to go with my outstanding new hip, today I am pleased & amazed & grateful that I got such outstanding surgical treatment & physical therapy, taking me from mostly lame to mostly OK in just 6 months.

Is this a great country or what ?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
So Far, So Good.

I am pleased & amazed & grateful that I got such outstanding surgical treatment & physical therapy, taking me from mostly lame to mostly OK in just 6 months.
After my semi-torqued knee got scoped in June 2016 (following hip replacement in January 2016), I did not rush right back to the gym.

I wanted to wait till my arthroscopically cleaned-up knee was fully healed -- that is, as healed as it was going to get. So I waited till after our 1-week Orlando timeshare vacation in August 2016.

When we got home, I quit shilly-shallying & put on my gym shorts & went back to the same old place for the same old exercise routines. But by then, after so much time away from the exercise bike & elliptical machine & Nautilus-style weight machines, I was pretty feeble. I had to drop way back on everything -- drastic reduction in weights, less than 1/2 my former routine time on the bike & elliptical exerciser. I was practically starting over.

But I'm still going regularly -- not every day but up to 6 times per week when we're in town, doing bike + elliptical on alternate days & doing Nautilus weight machines on the in-between days. (I don't lift free weights because I'm afraid I might drop 1 on my foot.)

Wimpy as the workouts are, I still feel they are beneficial. I am on a Less Food routine now, & my weight is down to 208.6 -- approximately what it was when we left for our 2013 timeshare vacation in Las Vegas.

How long can I keep it up ?

Who knows ?

Meanwhile, I am grateful for every that I'm still above ground & still breathing air & still walking around under my own power.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
After my semi-torqued knee got scoped in June 2016 (following hip replacement in January 2016), I did not rush right back to the gym.

Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

Good on ya, Alan. I had arthroscopy on my right knee this past Monday. The usual stuff - torn meniscus in a couple of places, shaved off some rough arthritic tissue, and so forth. I'm resting comfortably at home this week, alternating between short walks, ice packs, and elevating the knee. They wanted me to use the knee normally, "as it allows." So far, pain killers and ibuprofen are handling the discomfort. I'm doing okay.

Depending on how it sorts itself out, this is the last step before another total knee replacement. I had my left knee replaced in 2013. After more than 30 years of daily arthritis pain, I'm ready to be done with that. Cross your fingers. ;)

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Important tools for ortho surgery

I had a total knee replacement Tuesday, and now these are my favorite tools.

2016-10-21%2016.03.19-XL.jpg

sock helper, clothes puller, long shoe horn, leg lifter, and Clint Walker

If you're having any medical issues that limit your mobility, these are all great tools to have. Medicare paid for the walker. The total for the rest of them was only $27.

ride2slide

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same set from a TNR in Aug 2014. I found them to be well worth the $ spent. I had my right knee done so the leg lifter stayed in the car for a few months afterwards. Do your PT! And use the ice!

I had a total knee replacement Tuesday, and now these are my favorite tools.

2016-10-21%2016.03.19-XL.jpg

sock helper, clothes puller, long shoe horn, leg lifter, and Clint Walker

If you're having any medical issues that limit your mobility, these are all great tools to have. Medicare paid for the walker. The total for the rest of them was only $27.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I have the same set from a TNR in Aug 2014. I found them to be well worth the $ spent. I had my right knee done so the leg lifter stayed in the car for a few months afterwards. Do your PT! And use the ice!

So 2 years later, are you happy with your new knee? I'm doing the PT, and I'm sitting here reading TUG because I'm waiting for the ice to cool down the swelling. So far, progress is good.

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is me again after a new hip six years after my knees

I was the original poster and got a new hip last Friday and so far the rehab is much easier. Spent two nights in the hospital and was walking the same day.
I'll keep you posted.
jfbookers

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I was the original poster and got a new hip last Friday and so far the rehab is much easier. Spent two nights in the hospital and was walking the same day.
I'll keep you posted.
jfbookers
Hope all continues to go well with the rehab. I think you'll find recovering from hip replacement is a lot quicker than from a knee replacement. My husband had both hips replaced several years ago and one knee two years ago. The hips were much easier, he said. Now everything is pain free!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So 2 years later, are you happy with your new knee? I'm doing the PT, and I'm sitting here reading TUG because I'm waiting for the ice to cool down the swelling. So far, progress is good.

I had my left knee total replacement in early 2013. PT was my friend, and I was back to work within a few weeks. It's doing fine, and I'm very happy with the results. The complete elimination of the arthritis pain I suffered for years was a welcome relief.

Last month I went through a final arthroscopy on my right knee, to clean house and hopefully delay the total replacement of that knee. It has helped so far, but if TNR happens, I'm ready for it.

The one thing I wish they had told me before having my left knee replaced is that I wouldn't be able to kneel down on that knee ever again. They kept my old knee cap, and relined the underside of it with fake cartilage. I discovered by accident (followed by howling agonizing pain) that when you kneel down with a new knee, the pressure placed on the real parts from the new artificial parts is unlike any kind of pain I have ever experienced. Be prepared - if you need to look under the bed for that lost shoe, it will be a life changing experience, if you happen to try kneeling on the wrong knee.

Good luck with your recovery. It's worth it.

Dave