• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Richmond, Va hotel and other questions

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
We will be driving back to NY from S.C. on August 1. I think what we will do is stop in Richmond, Va fot the night. I want to visit my brother the next morning and he lives outside of DC. Does anyone have suggestions of where to stay and not to stay? My brother is telling me that the city of Richmond has some nice restaurants. However, I don't think we will be up for any more driving around if we have just driven from Hilton HEad, and the next day we are driving to Long Island. We are both not crazy about sitting in the car for hours. Any suggestions? It does not have to be Richmond, but I want to be somewhere in that area to split the trip in half. Thanks.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Richmond is pretty fun and has some trendy spots near Virginia Commonwealth University. You would be wise to stay down town somewhere. The down side is that you will pay more in town than around the 295 Beltway. Shockoe Slip is a great area.

Check out this web site to see if it's up your alley or not:

http://www.shockoeslip.org/

I would also suggest Fredericksburg (another hour towards DC). There are a lot of good places to stay in downtown historic Fredericksburg and could be a decent place to walk around.

I would not recommend staying anywhere south of Richmond unless you want to stay in Wilson or Rocky Mount, NC (4 hours to DC).

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've lived in the area since 1959. There is so much to do and see, and great places to eat....
If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer.
Shocko Slip is great, and close to I95. I'm assuming you will be tired and want to stay where you don't have far to travel to eat, so "The Bottom" is a good area with lots of eateries. Another area to consider is Short Pump. Tons of places to eat there, and some nice places to stay also. It's about 15 min off I95.
Ron

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ann-Marie:

I live/work in Richmond and can make recommendations. As I see it, you kind of have two options. Stay near the interstate close to an outlying shopping mall with multiple dining options or stay in downtown Richmond where there are multiple dining options in the renovated district with a lot more night-life where warehouses have been turned into restaurants & bars. And as Matt said, my school VCU ( go RAMS ), is interesting as well. If you will let me know which is preferable, I'll gladly give you several hotel & dining options in your preferred location. I live in the rural area, but work right downtown in the "Slip" as Ron said.