• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use Wyndham Points or Make RCI Exchange?

Arb

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Tuggers,
I appreciate so much the help I've received here over many years. I hope some of you may help me decide which to do: use some points to make a reservation or use an RCI deposit to make an exchange. The RCI deposit has nothing to do with Wyndham.
I'm interested in going to Wyndham Flagstaff in October, 2016.
The cost in points is 49K
The cost in TPUs is 11
I have no shortage of points or TPUs -- but which is the better value?
Please give me your input.
Thanks,
Carole

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two questions

Whats yore maintenance fee rate for the Wyndham points?

Whats you cost per TPU ?

and dont forget the exchange fee RCI charges

Im my case my average wyndham maintenance fee rate is $5.50/1000 so the 49000 point reservation is costing me $269

the week I have in RCI got me 40 TPU and my mf is $750 for that week so 11 TPU is costing me $206 add the exchange fee and Im spending over $400

So for me the choice would be clear... Use the points

Your numbers will be different... do the math and decide

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have other uses for the 49K this use year?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the cancellation fees is important as well.

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Ron has it right.

You can do the math, but it will extremely likely work out that you should use the points - this is because the exchange fee dominates the math (low point and TPU cost overwhelmed by $200 exchange fee, probably does not matter what your MF/pt or cost/TPU is).

The only reason to do the other is that you need the points for something else or the TPU you have will expire and go unused (i.e. some reason outside of the math).

my 2 cents CAD, which ain't worth as much as it used to be. YMMV.

Arb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I often use Wyndham points for short stays or for places I couldn't get in through RCI.
The only thing I'm thinking of conserving points for is a big October trip in 2017, when we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.
That's far off and I don't have any definite plans, so using 49K points for an inexpensive week through Wyndham makes sense.
Thanks again.
Carole Arb

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are VIP, you could probably get the discount and upgrade on that October Flagstaff unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
You are using TPUs when you exchange so the math is as mentioned. For someone who is using Wyndham points to either exchange or reserve directly within Wyndham, it's different.

We find that if we "save" 45K-50K in points by doing the exchange, it's a break-even in cost, to pay the RCI exchange fee. If the RCI exchange requires even fewer points, saving more than 50K, the exchange is a cheaper option and allows us to retain current use year points for other uses. This cheaper RCI option appears when we want to vacation at high-points Wyndham resorts. The exchange, based on the exchange chart, may save a lot of points. At low-points legacy Wyndham resorts, occasionally a Last Call or special sale Extra Vacations rental week is a great deal, no points required.

However, for short stays and off-season stays, it's almost always a better deal to reserve directly through Wyndham. Sometimes, an RCI exchange actually costs more Wyndham points than the direct reservation. Often, RCI doesn't have inventory that we want, especially for high season travel.

As mentioned by someone else above, the easy cancellation policy on Wyndham reservations makes our Wyndham points reservations more flexible and more valuable to us. If I have any doubt about our schedule, I prefer the Wyndham reservation.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are using TPUs when you exchange so the math is as mentioned. For someone who is using Wyndham points to either exchange or reserve directly within Wyndham, it's different.

We find that if we "save" 45K-50K in points by doing the exchange, it's a break-even in cost, to pay the RCI exchange fee. If the RCI exchange requires even fewer points, saving more than 50K, the exchange is a cheaper option and allows us to retain current use year points for other uses. This cheaper RCI option appears when we want to vacation at high-points Wyndham resorts. The exchange, based on the exchange chart, may save a lot of points. At low-points legacy Wyndham resorts, occasionally a Last Call or special sale Extra Vacations rental week is a great deal, no points required.

However, for short stays and off-season stays, it's almost always a better deal to reserve directly through Wyndham. Sometimes, an RCI exchange actually costs more Wyndham points than the direct reservation. Often, RCI doesn't have inventory that we want, especially for high season travel.

As mentioned by someone else above, the easy cancellation policy on Wyndham reservations makes our Wyndham points reservations more flexible and more valuable to us. If I have any doubt about our schedule, I prefer the Wyndham reservation.

Lisa brings up an important point and that is availability. It may just beme but I find that when I go looking for something in particular I seldom have a choice, only one or the other of the possibilities is available,