• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Great Disney World Promo for Military visitors

danoquinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a vacation to Orlando this June and we will be staying HGVC on I-Drive . We reserved a couple rooms because the kids and grand kids will be coming as well. I recently found out the good folks at Disney World are having an "Armed Forces Salute Ticket" promotion from Jan 3rd through Dec 23rd 2009. I haven't seen this info posted here yet but if it has sorry for repeat but just wanted to pass along because this is too good to pass up if you are active OR retired military. This is GREAT deal that I will take advantage of for sure. Good on Disney!!

Here is the info:

Walt Disney World has just introduced a special Armed Forces Salute Ticket for 2009. Each qualifying Military Service member will receive a complimentary 5-Day “Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Ticket” with Park Hopper and Water Park Fun & More Options included. To receive the FREE ticket, visit any theme park Guest Relations window and show proper ID.

In addition to the free Armed Forces Salute Ticket, up to 5 of their guests can purchase for $99 a Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Companion (5 Day Base) ticket. Park Hopper or Water Park Fun & More option are available for $25 each (which is 50% off the normal price).

Companion tickets may be upgraded to Premium, Annual or Seasonal Passes. Seasonal Pass upgrade requires proof of Florida Residency. Companion tickets may not be upgraded by adding the no expiration option, and you cannot add additional days to the passes. Companion tickets may be purchased at any Disney World ticket window or guest services.

You may also purchase tickets at Shades of Green, located at Walt Disney World or on your base (these two options are tax-free). If you purchase the tickets at Shades of Green or on base, you will receive a voucher that you will trade in once you arrive at a Walt Disney World ticket window.

"Armed Forces Salute tickets will expire on 12/23/09 and have no block-out dates. Tickets may be upgraded anytime between January 4th -December 23, 2009 as long as there is usage left on the ticket.

The entire party needs to be present for purchase (Spouse or military dependents can receive the companion discount without the military service member being present as long as they have their military ID). The military service member will need to show ID; Cast Member will ask for their Base’s name, and the State where the base is listed.
This offer is only available once per service member

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Tuscany and HGVC at Flamingo; DVC at Bay Lake Towers
This is why I am going to DW. In another post, I put that I had exchanged into the Disney Beach Club Villas. I got a 2 bedroom for the week of Labor Day. My dad is retired military & the whole family is going. I looked at the regular military prices of tickets for a 5 day park hopper and they were 276 at the shades of green. Under this special, you get it for 125 (100 for the base & 25 to add the park hopper).

When I called there was a lot of DVC availability September - November. Talk about a cheap Disney trip. Hotel fees of $259 ($164 RCI fee & $95 disney fee) and a 5 day pass for 125!.

My parents also got a room at the Beach Club resort with the military 40% off rates. This is definitely one of the best military deals we have seen.

rmschiltz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, Seaworld not only has a discount for military, they have a separate line for purchasing tickets. They also offered us a chance to extend it for a second day for free.

Thank you to all those who are serving now and have in the past.

Tabascoone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at DW a couple of weeks back and took advantage of this great deal, however heads up.

In fact I did get the 5 day hopper pass plus waterparks for free and got the 5 day baase hopper pass for the wife and kids for $99 each (total with taxes was about $335) however, when I inquired about adding the water parksadd on for the wife and kids the attendant stated it was going to be an additional $100 or so plus per ticket, I mentioned the $25 offer and she did not know anything about it.

I didn't argue since were staying for only 5 days and would have been tough to get to all 6 attractions. Turns out it was a good thing since we took one day to rest after all the walking around on the theme parks. So, if you are looking to take advantage of the waterparks offers as an add on, you may want to bring a print out of the web site offer.

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading up on this and had one question...

After the companion tickets are purchased by the military person, can the companions go to the parks without that person? Or does the military person always have to be there too?

danoquinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
After the companion tickets are purchased by the military person, can the companions go to the parks without that person? Or does the military person always have to be there too?

As I understand it the member only has to purchase the tickets by showing ID but does not have to be there after that.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I posted about this promotion several weeks ago in this thread: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94103

I've received my military ticket and two companion tickets. They come as a plastic credit card thing. Each card says it has to be activated at the park gate on first use, but nothing in the literature says the military member has to be there each time.

I'll be using my tickets next month, and can report back here afterwards on how it goes.

Dave

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I posted about this promotion several weeks ago in this thread: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94103

I've received my military ticket and two companion tickets. They come as a plastic credit card thing. Each card says it has to be activated at the park gate on first use, but nothing in the literature says the military member has to be there each time.

I'll be using my tickets next month, and can report back here afterwards on how it goes.

Dave

Did you get the park hopper option? There was an above post saying that they had issues with the water park add on for $25 & I am wondering if we are going to have trouble adding the park hopper for $25.00.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did you get the park hopper option? There was an above post saying that they had issues with the water park add on for $25 & I am wondering if we are going to have trouble adding the park hopper for $25.00.

I bought my tickets through the military recreation ticket office on a Navy base. What I asked for was the basic 5-day ticket plus Park Hopper for myself and two family members. I received my ticket for free, and my family tickets were $124 each. ($99 plus $25 for the Park Hopper option per person.) If I had wanted to add the Water Park option it would have been an additional $25 each for their tickets. So the full boat for them would have been $149 each if I had wanted to do that, but we chose not to do the water parks since we're staying at Orange Lake River Island.

Check the link in my referenced post above. It goes to the actual WDW page that discusses how it works. Read the fine print to make sure the details work out. In my case, I ordered the tickets on the base, and they arrived in less than a week. If you have time, it may be easier to buy them from the base to save any confusion at the park gate.

Hope this helps,
Dave

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers on my question. Our military person lives far away from us and we'd never be able to work out a time to go together, ever... that's why I was asking. It's starting to look like this year won't work out for us anyway as we are pretty booked for vacations as it is. I hope Disney offers it again next year!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the answers on my question. Our military person lives far away from us and we'd never be able to work out a time to go together, ever... that's why I was asking. It's starting to look like this year won't work out for us anyway as we are pretty booked for vacations as it is. I hope Disney offers it again next year!

The fine print says a military spouse can also get these tickets - but they can't get the free one, just the companion tickets. Also, it says the service member needs to present valid military ID at the gate on the first day, to activate the tickets. So the spouse could present their dependent ID card for that. The actual military service member doesn't need to be there, as long as a spouse can be there to show their ID card.

I agree, it's a great deal. Walt would be proud.

Dave

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fine print says a military spouse can also get these tickets - but they can't get the free one, just the companion tickets. Also, it says the service member needs to present valid military ID at the gate on the first day, to activate the tickets. So the spouse could present their dependent ID card for that. The actual military service member doesn't need to be there, as long as a spouse can be there to show their ID card.

I agree, it's a great deal. Walt would be proud.

Dave

This was exactly the sentence that concerned me. If the military person can't be there the first time then the tickets can't be activated/used. And in my case that's the problem.... the military person won't ever be with us.

Does anyone have expereince in having the companion tickets activated without the military person there??

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This was exactly the sentence that concerned me. If the military person can't be there the first time then the tickets can't be activated/used. And in my case that's the problem.... the military person won't ever be with us.

Does anyone have expereince in having the companion tickets activated without the military person there??

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if the spouse has a military ID, that will serve as proper ID if they are there to use the tickets. This is quoting from the fine print on the offer page: (bold text is my highlight)

"The military personnel (or spouse) will be required to present valid military identification (which, for activated members of the
National Guard or Reservists, also includes orders showing active status between Jan. 1, 2008 – Dec. 23, 2009 for the Walt
Disney World Resort and between Jan. 4, 2009 – June 12, 2009 for the Disneyland Resort) for all ticket transactions (including
to exchange and redeem the exchange certificates for the tickets at Main Entrance theme park ticket windows). A valid ID
may also be required for admission."

If you're asking whether a military person could get you the tickets, but then not be there to use them? That sounds like it isn't what they want. But if the spouse WOULD be there, it should work, as I read things.

Dave (who is probably making things worse by trying to dig too deeply into things. ;))

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got it in the last part.... no spouse and the military person is way elsewhere (like many, many states away) and a meeting at Disney on a specific day just isn't going to realistically happen. Not everyone's family lives right on top of each other.

It's ok though. I'll work something out. I always do!

Thanks for the help understanding it... I wanted to be sure there I wasn't reading more into it - like the military person NOT having to be there once to activate the tickets.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yeah, but if there is no spouse then that doesn't help. And if the military person (and their spouse if they have one) is in NY (or NC, MT, or wherever) and I am in FL and a meeting at Disney on a specific day is not going to realistically happen, then no companion tickets for me... right? That is what I am getting at or trying to work around/figure out.

I appreciate your frustration. As I read things, if the military member or spouse is not there to activate the tickets on the first day, then no, they won't work for you. That is, IF the Disney folks are following what the promotion details say. But in an earlier post someone said they were quoted $100 per person to add the water park option, which is not what the details say in the promotion.

So maybe the last word would be to contact WDW and ask them, "What do we do if our military member or spouse can't be with us during our vacation?" They'll probably tell you "too bad," but at least you'd know the "official" stand on things.

Trying to help,
Dave

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From reading on the disboards, the military person definitely has to be at DW to activate the tickets - either the front gate or DTD.