• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Point System Resales

PSS

TUG Member
Reaction score
At a Marriott sales presentation last week, the Sales Person made the statement that Marriott Point System units are not offered for resale by anyone other than Marriott.
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Definitely not true. GregT is in the process of buying DC points resale and others have as well. Look for other threads that discuss this point.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Not true, although I suspect that what the sales rep was inferring is, "the only way to purchase DC Points with all of the current purchase incentives is direct through Marriot Sales Centers."

Many Marriott sales reps wear blinders that (conveniently?) refuse to acknowledge an external resale market; that's no different now with the Points product than it has always been with the Weeks product. In fact while we're seeing DC Points resales being listed on a number of usual external resale sites, Marriott has no internal resale mechanism for its Points product.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
At a Marriott sales presentation last week, the Sales Person made the statement that Marriott Point System units are not offered for resale by anyone other than Marriott.
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Paul

The reality is the exact opposite. Marriott does not offer resale points, but others do.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
The reality is the exact opposite. Marriott does not offer resale points, but others do.
That is correct! Marriott only sells points. Even if someone sold back their points to Marriott, Marriott would most likely just fold those points back into the trust and sell them for the current asking price. Why would marriott sell points for $5-6 bucks a point when they can sell them for $11+?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

This is not the case -- I am in escrow on 3,500 points now -- have signed the final documents, and waiting for seller (actually the BK attorney) to counter sign and then it will go to Marriott for transfer.

So....definitely possible to purchase points on resale market. I need to confirm to the group that the points are not restricted in any manner (and I do not expect them to be restricted).

Best,

Greg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

As with most statements like this, its really hard to reply without knowing the context of the conversation. If indeed, by "units" you are referring to points, then what the others have said is true, you can purchase them resale on the external market. If by "units" you were discussing a deeded week and wanting to purchase one of those today and have it be part of the points system, then there is likely some validity to what the sales peep was saying. The only way to currently purchase a deeded week and have it become part of the points system is through Marriott and only by also purchasing a like allotment of Trust points which corresponds to the quantity of points allocated to the deeded week. Currently, you cannot purchase a deeded week on the resale market and enroll that week into the points program. That ship has already sailed.

Figured it was worth tossing that point out there as not being privy to conversation, I was not 100% sure exactly what context his/her comment arose and your use of the word "units" instead of points made me think perhaps you were talking weeks, not points.

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the absurdly high fees they have placed on resale points, however, MVCI is doing their damnedest to disincentivize people from buying resale points.

I would buy (resale) the smallest amount of points I could, and then rent the extra when necessary.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Extra fees to enroll the points

Congratulations on your purchase!

Can you comment on the extra costs incurred beyond the $/pt to the seller.. such as fees to Marriott to enroll the points, etc

Were you enrolled in MVDC points or were you a trust points owner prior to the purchase?

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to sort out the details involved with a points re-sale purchase.

Thanks

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Can you comment on the extra costs incurred beyond the $/pt to the seller.. such as fees to Marriott to enroll the points, etc

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to sort out the details involved with a points re-sale purchase.

Thanks

From the MVC Points FAQ Sticky.....

$200/BI (BI=250 Points) with a minimum $2,000.00 Initiation Fee;
$300 Owner Education Fee;
$95 ROFR Fee;
$25/BI Transfer Fee; etc.
Marriott holds ROFR for all DC Trust Points.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was not an owner prior. The purchase of the resale points was my first venture into the time sharing systems. I hope I do not regret it.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Full usage rights with trust pt resale?

Thanks for pointing me to the sticky...

For those Tuggers that have purchased trust points on the re-sale market... has there been any restrictions / differences between a resale and a purchase from Marriott?

I am surprised Marriott is not exercising ROFR on the resale points since they seem to have been active on ROFR for Platinum Timeshare week resales...

NightSkyTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
None whatsoever. The sales rep did not even notice I had purchased more or that they were resale.

Thanks for pointing me to the sticky...

For those Tuggers that have purchased trust points on the re-sale market... has there been any restrictions / differences between a resale and a purchase from Marriott?

I am surprised Marriott is not exercising ROFR on the resale points since they seem to have been active on ROFR for Platinum Timeshare week resales...

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks!

Interesting... Resale weeks were tagged so that the sale reps knew what was purchased from Marriott vs the resale market.

It sounds like the trust points are not 'marked' in a similar manner.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting... Resale weeks were tagged so that the sale reps knew what was purchased from Marriott vs the resale market.

It sounds like the trust points are not 'marked' in a similar manner.

I think it depends on what information the sale rep pulls before your presentation. We have had reps that had a printout of our account that showed our resale weeks, other reps had nothing and knew nothing. I think it all depends on how much "homework" the rep does before meeting with you.

I would expect that MVCI is capturing how one acquires trust points; either internal or external.