• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

royal sea cliff - renos and best suite locations

Xcalibur

Reaction score
HI,

looking at booking into RSC. as a VIP member we can reqeust suites but not sure what to request? what would you recommend? i've noticed that the resorts have different systems in comparison to wyndham's call centre... how would you go about getting the best view suite?

we are also looking at booking into the kona hawaiian? how would you compare this to RSC? i know RSC has had renos but kona hawaiian is bigger... i would love your feedback!

thanks!

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that Wyndham has only 51% of rsc and like a lot of timeshares in Hawaii, the ocean front units are private condos that can often be rented for a week.

If you don't mind a hotel, we enjoyed our ocean front room at the Royal Kona. I booked an ocean view unit last April and they upgraded us to ocean front after my wife told them that it was our anniversary.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I had the same experiencewith the Royal Kona. The staff was great and we were
Given an oceanfront room with a bottle of champagne because it was our
Anniversary too. It's older and it used to be a Hilton. You can't beat the location.
A short walk and your in town. The Kona Hawaiian is another Wyhdham
That's about a half mile away from the Royal Kona, I know that one always gets
Good reviews.

Last edited:

Xcalibur

Reaction score
Anniversary too. It's older and it used to be a Hilton. You can't beat the location.
A short walk and your in town. The Kona Royal zhawaiian is another Wyhdham
That's about a half mile away from the Royal Kona, I know that one always gets
Good reviews.

that's nice about the royal kona, but is it in the wyndham timeshare offerings? i haven't seen it...

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
No the a royal Kona is a regular hotel. The Wyndham Kona Hawaiian is the
Timeshare that's close town and the Royal Kona hotel. I gave the wrong name
In my original post. I'll change it.

I've heard good things about the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian, I went in and walked
The grounds and it is a nice place in a great location. It's a pretty easy walk into
Town. Any further down Alii Drive and your talking a pretty good hike just to get
To the begining of town.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
that's nice about the royal kona, but is it in the wyndham timeshare offerings? i haven't seen it...

No it is a hotel NOT affiliated with any timeshare.

There are some good units in Royal Seacliff but there are some not great units as far a view goes. As someone comments this is a mixed use where Wyndham does not own or control the entire building. Most if not all of the oceanfront units are wholly owned and are not part of the Wyndham program. However you will likely get a better chance at a view here than you would at Kona Hawaii. Another plus is parking is in the shade below the building.

I personally like the units at Kona Hawaiian a little more, as they are a little more authentic Hawaiian looking and l really liked the dining table out on the deck. Some have oceanview glimpses, but many do not have a view at all. Parking can be problematic at times.

I've stayed at Kona Hawaiian twice, but did go and look at units at sea cliff when I was there last.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anniversary too.

We were also given the bottle of champagne. It was a nice surprise. We had a third floor room in the south, lagoon, building and watched the luau from our balcony. My wife doesn't eat meat, so the next two nights we also watched it from the pool area.

I would stay at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian rather than the Sea Cliiffs because it's closer to town, I believe it's fewer points, and you're not likely to get a good view at the Sea Cliffs.

Another nice thing about staying at a hotel is you can pick the days. We also stayed in Volcano for two nights and in a B&B one night near Waipio Valley overlook.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone stayed at Wyndham Mauna Loa ? I need 3 nights near Kona for the end of our trip, and Mauna Loa requires the fewest points (I only need a 1 bedroom ). Wondering if the other 2 Wyndhams are that much nicer......

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I never stayed at Mauna Loa but I have been by there. It looks nice. The one
Thing is that it's really far to Kona. You won't be walking into town, if that's
Important to you. If that doesn't matter, I think you would be fine staying
There.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never stayed at Mauna Loa but I have been by there. It looks nice. The one
Thing is that it's really far to Kona. You won't be walking into town, if that's
Important to you. If that doesn't matter, I think you would be fine staying
There.

Thanks......we really don't need to be walking distance to Kona, so unless one of the other Wyndham's is twice as good, I'll probably opt for saving some points..I blew most of my allotment on NYC this year!

randyz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at both RSC and Kona Hawaiian Resort. Stayed at both etc..

I stayed pool front, ocean view but bottom floor once at RSC, and various views at other times. The front, upper units all seem to be privately owned though I am not certain.

Comparing the two:
RSC: Oceanfront (cliff not beach), pools on the ocean, but depending on your room can be a walk to pools and parking.

KHR: In every way superior though not dramatically so (maybe 1 o 2/10 better), except not oceanfront. Nicer rooms, big lanai, easy access BBq and pools, parking easier to access. And it is a reasonable walk into town. Hawaii plantation style, versus RSC concrete condo.

Have not stayed at Mauna Loa, it is on a golf course, but at the far end of Alii drive. randyz