• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting a deposit in Interval

vengle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My firend has a Maui 1 bedroom that she deposited into Interval International by mistake. She also 2 bedroom Aruba Surf Club she deposited as well. The problem is she can't travel and wants to rent the weeks to someone although they are already deposited. Where should she post this on TUG to get some nibbles? She isn't even looking to make money she needs to cover her maintenance fees and interval fees. Any help is appreciated.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
It used to be that you couldn't rent II deposited weeks. Maybe things have changed.

vengle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well she would work with someone to pick a place and make a request to utilize it for a vacation and then pay the fee to put it in the other person's name. I guess it is just selling her already deposited week to someone to use.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well she would work with someone to pick a place and make a request to utilize it for a vacation and then pay the fee to put it in the other person's name. I guess it is just selling her already deposited week to someone to use.

you mean rent the exchanged week - pretty sure II won't allow that at all...

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah you arent allowed to rent an exchanged week, they can pull her account if they find out.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are, I believe, allowed to recoup only the exchange fee cost and guest certificate cost - as a matter of fact, those can be paid for by a third person.

But Interval will not allow you to recoup costs of your maintenance fees for the underlying week used to exchange, and if they find out, yes, they could cancel the exchanges and close the account.

I'm not saying people don't do it, but there is risk (such as your renters go down to the front desk and demand something, stating, "We paid good money to rent this place." Oops!!). Best case scenario is if someone you know could use the exchanges. If there is an unrelated gift given back at some stage, that's not really Interval's business, right?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno...

....she can't travel and wants to rent the weeks to someone although they are already deposited.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that if the weeks at issue have already been "deposited" (i.e., relinquished to the exchange company), then any option to "rent out" those same weeks no longer exists, regardless of II rules. That rental option ship sailed immediately upon "depost", no? :shrug:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that if the weeks at issue have already been "deposited" (i.e., relinquished to the exchange company), then any option to "rent out" those same weeks no longer exists, regardless of II rules. That rental option ship sailed immediately upon "depost", no? :shrug:

That would be my impression too.

And, no, you absolutely shouldn't rent out a II exchange unless you're willing to lose your account. Yes, people do it, but they're running a bit of a risk.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would be my impression too.

And, no, you absolutely shouldn't rent out a II exchange unless you're willing to lose your account. Yes, people do it, but they're running a bit of a risk.

Now that I think about it more, I recall a few years ago something about someone posting here on TUG about renting their II exchange, and they were penalized because someone from II saw it posted here.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending upon how long ago she deposited the weeks with II, "IF" II hasn't given the weeks to an exchanger, then she "might" be able to get the weeks back from II

If the weeks are "long-gone", then she should have 2 years to get an exchange from II, using the weeks she deposited, so all isn't lost.

However, when she gets the exchanges, she IS NOT allowed to rent them out.

Tony

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Once you deposit a week with II, it is no longer yours to rent. II doesn't allow exchanges to be rented either and if she is caught she can lose her acct., her deposits, and any fees paid.

vengle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know all this. I thought you could just make the exchange on behalf of someone else. Like she deposited her week and if her Mom or someone wanted to book some Florida week she could book it and put the certificate in her Mom's name. People aren't allowed to use our weeks???? What? I don't know this is all getting to be to crazy to me. I have let other people use my weeks in the past while doing a trade through Interval.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know all this. I thought you could just make the exchange on behalf of someone else. Like she deposited her week and if her Mom or someone wanted to book some Florida week she could book it and put the certificate in her Mom's name. People aren't allowed to use our weeks???? What? I don't know this is all getting to be to crazy to me. I have let other people use my weeks in the past while doing a trade through Interval.

Your original post referred to renting a week obtained from an II exchange to a third party for $$$=maintenance fees and not use of a week.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Of course she can give her mom, or anyone else an exchange.

But renting it is a violation of the II rules - this has always been the rule.

Sometimes people do it anyway, but sometimes they get caught, and the consequences can be pretty harsh.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

You can let someone use the week that you get as an exchange but you cannot rent out the week and has others have said if you get caught II can suspend your account from further use.

So putting a unit in her Mom's name through a gift certificate is fine, but getting reimbursed for maintenance or any other remuneration is a no no.