• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Giving a week you traded to to a friend - Contract?

ooodsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I traded for a Disney week this summer but can't use it - I am going to add on a guest certificate in RCI and give it to a friend of mine who will pay me back the cost of the guest certificate (or possibly pay for it herself on her CC if RCI allows it). They asked if I had any sort of contract for them to sign so I am not liable should any damages occur? Also - is there anything to note about giving a week I exchanged for vs my own week?

(edited - I changed the wording to reflect what is actually going on here so that no one thinks anything incorrectly about this)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
RCI does not permit you to rent exchanges, so I don't know how you can offer a contract for it. If RCI should catch you and cancel the exchange - the contract would be unenforceable, anyway. If you get caught, you can lose your acct., your deposit, your exchange, and any fees.

At the very least, I would disclose the risk to your friend.

BTW - you are "renting" the week.

Last edited:

ooodsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, just curious.. do others do this? Or should I not even be considering letting a friend use it? I'm very new to timeshare ownership. So I apologize if I am asking a taboo question.

Last edited:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are people who rent exchanges, some even advertise them on Ebay. Some get caught and suffer consequences, some don't.

If you are issuing a guest certificate to a friend, that's perfectly fine. I suppose if your friend is a particularly generous sort who likes to give gifts of money, that's really none of RCI's business.

Where the problems can really start is when a renter calls up the resort to request (or sometimes demand) a certain view, accomodation for early check in, whatever it might be and if they don't get start on a tirade about how they paid good money to rent this week.

So it's really a question of risk tolerance, I suppose.

ooodsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip - I just read on RCI's page that you can give your exchange and be reimbursed for the price paid for that exchange + guest certificate only. So i'll just make sure that's all my friend gives me for it, to be fair and to not break any rules.

Last edited:

prickler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see this matter as anybody's business but you and your friend.

I know the RCI will follow the letter of the law but the intention is to keep people from hoarding weeks and turning a profit renting out those units. RCI hates competition!! :hysterical:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
True, but...

I don't see this matter as anybody's business but you and your friend.

The OP did openly present "this matter" here, overtly requesting an answer. Surely no one is intruding into OP's "business" by extending the courtesy of providing an objective and factually accurate response...:shrug:

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
A contract between friends? Shouldn't be necessary.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A contract between friends? Shouldn't be necessary.

But as Denise has correctly observed previously, it would be an unenforceable "contract" in any event, since its' underlying content and premise would be that of a prohibited act. :shrug:

ooodsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our main reasoning for the contract (more so her idea than mine surprisingly) was for liability purposes should anything happen so that it's obvious who was staying in the room even though it was originally booked under my name (her kids can be a bit of terrors!), but I have come to find out the guest certificate serves that purpose - so we're all good now actually. Thanks again everyone.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Our main reasoning for the contract (more so her idea than mine surprisingly) was for liability purposes should anything happen so that it's obvious who was staying in the room even though it was originally booked under my name (her kids can be a bit of terrors!), but I have come to find out the guest certificate serves that purpose - so we're all good now actually. Thanks again everyone.

It most resorts, the guest must present a valid credit card at check-in and any damages or incidentals will be charged to that card.

dundey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala

What Denise said is true, and certainly true for Disney. Stayed at Saratoga this summer!
Plus, the fact that you will get a guest certificate for RCI in your friend's name releases you of liability.

prickler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP did openly present "this matter" here, overtly requesting an answer. Surely no one is intruding into OP's "business" by extending the courtesy of providing an objective and factually accurate response...:shrug:

I realize the OP wants advice. I was just referring to the fact that nobody (ie RCI) is going to find out that you rented to your friend unless you start writing contracts and leaving paper trails. If it is in fact a friend, you let them use the unit, they reimburse you. End of transaction.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Thanks for the tip - I just read on RCI's page that you can 'rent' your exchange for the price paid for that exchange + guest certificate only. So i'll just make sure that's all my friend gives me for it, to be fair and to not break any rules.

How much did you 'pay' for the exchange? The reservation fee?
My 2 cents: 'Sell' your friend a roll of scotchtape or can of peas for however much it is,
and throw in the TS as a 'gift' for being such a nice person.-- if he's willing to go along.