• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scam Call claiming to be from TUG

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
We are receiving reports of an individual making calls to owners and claiming they represent TUG...right before the pitch for the typical upfront fee scam (we have a buyer/renter for you).

just a friendly reminder that TUG will never...EVER contact you out of the blue via phone about your timeshare.

phone number for the call was 661-748-0240

google search for the number comes up as a generic skype number used in many scams.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Should this be a universal sticky for awhile?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
have to see how more reports come in. right now its just 3 today.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I also got one from Hilton/Westgate. Like Hilton would ever market something with Westgate together.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are they calling phone numbers from the Marketplace?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
didnt get an answer on that...the two emails this morning merely said that they got a call from someone claiming to work for TUG...in regards to selling their timeshare.

lucillefaust

Reaction score
Heard about people claiming to be from TUG from friends, too. Didn't think they were legit, though. Obviously a ploy to get people's info and money.

talien

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a call last night from a lawyer who claims to be from TUGS and that he had a buyer for my timeshare. Talked to him today (Dick Walters) and he said he had a buyer and that everything had to be done today. He wanted me to pay the stamp tax on line, and then said I could send it to a para legal. When I told him I did not have the money and could not try to get it until tomorrow, he said he would call back and never has. He has called me from (661) 748-0204 and gave me his personal cell (305)600-2874. Some of the info he provided about my timeshare for sell was incorrect and that started the red flags and have not found anything out about this guy.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have it listed somewhere with your number posted ?

Where ?

No offense, but TUG is a very small subset of the time share ownership community, using variations of the property name or RCI are common scams, but one could safely assume that less than 1in 10timeshare owners have heard of TUG

Last edited:

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I keep getting calls from some jerk saying he is from microsoft and they have identified a serious problem with my computer.

Of course he sounds like he is speaking English as his third language.

Sterling

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Got a call last night from a lawyer who claims to be from TUGS and that he had a buyer for my timeshare. Talked to him today (Dick Walters) and he said he had a buyer and that everything had to be done today. He wanted me to pay the stamp tax on line, and then said I could send it to a para legal. When I told him I did not have the money and could not try to get it until tomorrow, he said he would call back and never has. He has called me from (661) 748-0204 and gave me his personal cell (305)600-2874. Some of the info he provided about my timeshare for sell was incorrect and that started the red flags and have not found anything out about this guy.

yes, the lawyer line was the same as the email reports we got of this earlier this week.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is he working Tug Ads with the Tug Reference ? Other Ads ?, Random Cold Calls

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id gander that the individual is working off a list of timeshare owners...and just using the TUG moniker during the "pitch" to add legitimacy to the scam.

the way the marketplace is setup now, I dont really see him going through each ad and contacting folks (besides, many ads dont even include phone numbers).

and if he were, I think we would have gotten alot more complaints/emails about it if he were merely going one by one in the marketplace.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
got a few more reports of this today...will definitely put it in the newsletter.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I keep getting calls from some jerk saying he is from microsoft and they have identified a serious problem with my computer.

Of course he sounds like he is speaking English as his third language.

Sterling

I get these calls every few weeks. What a crock. I guess they get some folks to give them the info they want. Now I just say, "I don't have a computer." or "i don't have Microsoft" and that ends things.

How alarming because there is probably enough who jump at the bait (I am not sure what they are selling but I think they want your personal info) and then get scammed in the long run.

Reaction score
Dick (Richard Walters)

I got the same phone call this morning..from generic skype number. 661-748-0240. Sounds like he is calling from a call center..claimed that he was calling from the orlando Convention center at a time share resell convention. Claimed he was from an "arm" of Tug2 that makes money financing timeshares. He had mine sold because a closing fell through He wanted me to pay my luxury tax to the state of Florida. $411.12 At that point my phone died.

He told me his bar number was 22108 at the Florida bar

Reaction score
Seeing as I live in the Orlando area, I can say FOR A FACT that there is NO timeshare resale convention this week, although this weekend is the Fall Home Show (home renovations). Plus, there is no "Florida Luxury Tax" that I know of.

TS

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Real Dick Waters will show up ?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id wager the chances hes actually a lawyer are between slim and none.

auriasis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received call from same # / 3 times!

We received a call from this same number. It took us 20 minutes into the call to discover it was a scam. The guy claimed to be attorney Dick Walters and gave us his bar number. Because he was calling from a skype number the call kept breaking up - it's a poor quality line to call on. It was his third call before he mentioned that we would have to pay the document transfer tax of $2600+ to the title company of his choice. We asked for his address to come see him in person and he gave us a bogus address in Cutler near Miami. We called the real Dick Walters in Coral Gables and let him know someone was using his name, but who knows, he could be in on it. Dick never called us back.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Real Dick Waters will show up ?

I directed him to this thread from the Bar email, but it returned undeliverable, the Bar number and name agree, so who ever is impersonating did his homework

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received a call from this same number. It took us 20 minutes into the call to discover it was a scam. The guy claimed to be attorney Dick Walters and gave us his bar number. Because he was calling from a skype number the call kept breaking up - it's a poor quality line to call on. It was his third call before he mentioned that we would have to pay the document transfer tax of $2600+ to the title company of his choice. We asked for his address to come see him in person and he gave us a bogus address in Cutler near Miami. We called the real Dick Walters in Coral Gables and let him know someone was using his name, but who knows, he could be in on it. Dick never called us back.

Gentle advice: Be careful what you put out in print. You may want to reconsider until all facts are known. You may even want to edit your post. Your call.

-

-

Last edited: